LandRover Disco LOST KEYS ... need BIG Helps !!

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 14:40
ThreadID: 53074 Views:4946 Replies:11 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all ....

This is NOT my car .... I have a Troopy !!

But my brother has a Disco '02 TD5 Series 2 ...
The keys [including the spare] have been misplaced/lost/ etc.
He, the bro, is currently in Bali and I have custody of the car.
I, of course, am in Weipa!

The best the original dealer [from SA] could do was to suggest that we drive it to the nearest dealer, for rectification. Like, 900kms away and no key ??? Obviously his medication hadn't yet kicked in, what.....l.

LR Aust put me on to another dealer in SA. They were helpful .... in that they sympathised !!!

Apparently their best solution is to :

1/... smash the cheapest window and gain access to the interior

2/... fumble under the dash to find a hidden button which will unlock the doors

3/... somehow load the vehicle in a container and ship it to the nearest dealer [Cairns,] as all the roads are now impassable to road freight.

4/... transfer the vehicle to said Cairns dealer

5/... whom, they advise, "probably" wont be able "to do anything anyway" on account they need the key???

I personally can't believe that such an expensive piece of machinery is now totally unusable for such a relatively simple problem !!! And that this problem cannot be solved by the technical experts from LR Aus.......

So, my learned friends at EO .......

whom-so-ever can find some solution for me/him .... as I'm sure the "lost key" syndrome has been evident before ??

I have a month before said brother is due back ......... or should that be 'sad brother?'

My personal solution would be to trade it in on a proper car but ....

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 14:53

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 14:53
Ummm Errrrr!!!! Start looking for the keys would be the best option :-)
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 279536

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:21

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:21
True ..... but it's raining and my head still hurts ...
FollowupID: 543823

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 14:16

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 14:16
John ......

You'll be pleased to know that your suggestion ended up as the productive one !!

Yep ... found the missing keys, deftly concealed [inadvertantly,of course!] underneath a folded towel that was placed in a placcy bay and subsequently stored in my garage .......... with a brazillion other things !!

Said brother has been informed ........

And yes, it is still raining but my head don't hurt so much ........
FollowupID: 544845

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 16:55

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 16:55
Mate thats good news, well done.
Now you can spend the money on more gear for the Troopy :-)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 544888

Reply By: Mike Harding - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 14:55

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 14:55
I don’t know the Discovery particularly but I imagine you could gain entry with a “Slim Jim” or one of the other car breaking methods (jigglers etc)? Car mechanics should know this kind of stuff. I keep a “Slim Jim” in my vehicle to help others in exactly these circumstances.

I assume the key contains an electronic component which communicates with the vehicle? If so then from the VIN the manufacturers/importers should be able to code another key for you – this is often done for police forces who wish to bug and/or search vehicles they are interested in – sometimes without a warrant!

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 279538

Reply By: Pavo - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 14:55

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 14:55
Try asking Australian Owners Online.

http://www.aulro.com

These guys know their Land Rovers.

Pete
AnswerID: 279539

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:08

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:08
Thanks .... good suggestion and have done so!!

Tried a search on their site ... it appears that no-one has ever "lost their keys " there ???

Had to join the Forum to post a new thread ...... sigh !!
FollowupID: 543818

Reply By: Des Lexic - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:18

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:18
Do your Bro a big favour and swap the Disco for a Yota BJ45 or something similar. Sounds like a good deal to me. he will probably luv you for doing him the favour.
Does the Bro have a spare key back at his house or something?
maybe get a couple of females to have a girls look for the lost keys instead of the boys look.
My ESP tells me that they have fallen down behind the lounge.
Good luck.
AnswerID: 279545

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:11

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:11
My bro is an engineer ..... they are not known for their sense of humour !!

No spare .... that 'misplaced' too.....

The female thing .... there's a thought ?

Thanks anyway......
FollowupID: 543819

Reply By: Grungle - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:30

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:30
Put a sign on it that says "steal me" and see what happens. One of two outcomes - 1. someone does steal it and manages to get it started so you jump out of the bushes and give em a carton or 2. hope they trash it when they steal it and claim the insurance.

Obviously said toungue in cheek.

Rgeards
David
AnswerID: 279547

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:33

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:33
Good options :-)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 543727

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:17

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:17
That's why he locked it and bunged it in a lock-up yard ........ so that wouldn't happen !!
FollowupID: 543821

Follow Up By: Member. Rob M (QLD) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:39

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:39
Pedro,
This might sound a little simplistic, but he didn't happen to leave a key with the owners of the lock up yard in case they had to move it?
Good luck with the problem.
Rob
Rob M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 543866

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:38

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 15:38
Ring the RACQ!!!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 279550

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:19

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:19
Ywep ..... will be talking to Sam tomorrow !
FollowupID: 543822

Reply By: donks1 - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 16:35

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 16:35
hi there

you are going to have to brake in and get it towed to

cairns dealer ( tony ireland )

they will be able to order a lock set, including immobiliser control unit

and fit it all up. It will cost you though..

and for those who think this is drastic, don't lose keys for toyotas either...... corolla, rav, camry,kluger......these will run around $1200.00 plus labour also

donks
AnswerID: 279559

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:06

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:06
It's 900 kms away .......
the roads are closed ....
it wont steer 'cause the keys are losted ....
and my head hurts !!!

But thanks for trying !
FollowupID: 543817

Follow Up By: donks1 - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 18:04

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 18:04
hi there

yes i am aware of the geography, but you won't find anyone up there to do it. even if you were to organise a lock set to be flown to you, (Lr won't do it) it still needs to be programmed

you don't need to steer it to put it on a flat bed truck

thats why when you are in remote areas you should give a spare set of keys to your travelling companion.
bite the bullet and pay the cash or roll it into the ocean

donks

FollowupID: 543946

Reply By: DIO - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 19:03

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 19:03
If your in SA contact Goodwood Locksmiths 210 Goodwood Road (Lonsdale Tce) Millswood. 0408 823138 or 8373 5090 I have had some friends who have had work done by them. They are reputedly 'tops' when it comes to ignition keys, encoding, rebuilding ignition locks and door locks etc. Prices are reasonable too.
AnswerID: 279588

Follow Up By: Grungle - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 19:30

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 19:30
Would probably be cheaper to fly them up with their gear for a couple of days to redo all locks and keys.

Wouldn't insurance cover this?

Regards
David
FollowupID: 543768

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:16

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:16
Now here's another possible solution ..........

thinking outside the box,you are ...........
the old " if the mountain can't go to Mahommed ....thing! "

Would be verrrry costly but think of the alternative ??

Ten points ............
FollowupID: 543820

Reply By: Eric Experience - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:29

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:29
Pedro.
You don't have to smash any thing, there is ways to open the vehicle and the spare key will be inside, hopefully, Either get an experienced auto elec or look at another land rover to work out how to open the bonnet with a piece of wire and then disconnect the battery and then reconnect it and the doors will be open. Eric.
AnswerID: 279632

Reply By: disco1942 - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:27

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 00:27
If you do get another key to fit you need the test book to synchronise the chip in the new key with security system. If you can get a key cut AND also know the activation code for the door lock you can get the motor started. To get the motor started you insert the key in the door lock and turn it to the right the number of times the first digit is. You then turn the key to the left by the number in the second digit and continue in that vein until you exhaust all the digits. You will have to do this after the security system locks itself. This feature is provided so that you can still drive your vehicle if the radio fob does not work for any reason (high RF field blocking it, flat key battery etc.)

This problem is not unique to LR. Any vehicle with a chip in the key requires it to be read by the sensor located with the ignition switch. Without synchronising it with the security system you will only be able to unlock the door with the key but not start the motor.

I forget whether I was talking to a patrol or cruiser type. He had purchased his vehicle second hand at auction. It only came with one key - and that key was not the master key. When he went to get another key he found that without the master he had to replace a major part of the security system and it would cost a few grand. So all you bastards that suggested that he traded it in for some Jap crap, think again, look after your keys or you could be in the same boat.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 279658

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 20:48

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 20:48
Mate !, you may as well talk to a old fence post !! If you own a Yota or a nissan , then things like this just don't happen. Its just a one way street !end of story. Your knowledge will no doubt help one of these bastards out one day!!, Lifes funny eh!

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 543989

Reply By: BMKal - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 03:30

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 03:30
Pedro,

A few points -

1) If you smash a window to gain access, make sure that it's one that you can crawl through, because you still won't be able to open any of the doors. If the car was "superlocked" using the remote key lock, all door handles - inside and outside - are deactivated.

2) There is no button hidden under the dash that will open the doors. There is a button on the dash, below the radio in the cluster of buttons that has the hill descent button, remote fuel cap button and others, that will unlock the doors. However, if the car has been "superlocked" using the remote key lock, this button is also de-activated and will not work (hence Landrover's warning never to "superlock" a vehicle when someone is inside, as they will not be able to get out).

When your brother bought the car, there should have been a metal tag on the key ring with a number stamped onto it. Hopefully he has recorded this number somewhere. If you provide this number to a Landrover dealer, they can supply you with a new remote (radio) key which will operate all functions as the original key.

Failing this, if you provide a Landrover with the vehicle's VIN number (should be able to get this from rego papers), they should be able to provide you with a replacement emergency key (not radio). With this key, you can open the door, but will still not be able to start the engine if the vehicle has been "superlocked" with the radio key.

To disable the engine immobilizer and security system with a spare emergency key, you need to know the four number emergency key access code. This number is recorded on the vehicle's security information card. The process for entering this number is as described in a previous post in this thread, and is detailed on page 15 of the operator's manual for the D2.

I believe that there's also a way of opening the back door on the Disco without doing any damage - do a search on AULRO - I saw a thread about it somewhere. But beware - once you get into the vehicle this way, the alarm will go off, and this will also set off the fuel cut-off under the bonnet - you'll need to read the manual to find out how to re-set this. It's easy, but I won't go into detail too much here (same as getting in through the rear door).

And I wouldn't take too much notice of anyone who tells you that the best way out of your problem is to replace it with some Japanese copy of a proper 4WD. Having owned quite a few Jap 4WD's over the years, I can tell you that if you lose the keys to some of them, you're in for at least as much grief, if not more. I can remember having to do some terrible things to Toyota Prado's just because the keys got locked inside. Good thing they were company cars.

Best of luck .............. BM
AnswerID: 279666

Follow Up By: BMKal - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 03:34

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 03:34
Oh and regarding the suggestion to disconnect the battery and then re-connect it and the doors will be open - well you can try this if you can get the bonnet open, but I seriously doubt that it will work.
FollowupID: 543829

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 22:21

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 22:21
It does not matter what you do to get into the vehicle and unlock the steering, unless you get the chip in the key to talk to the immobiliser you still will not get the motor started (no matter what make it is - Yank, European or Jap.) The cheapest way of getting it started is probably to get a LR mechanic flown out with the necessary bits and test book to line up the chips in the new keys with the immobiliser. (but you may have to supply them with key codes or the locks will have to be replaced as well - ring first to see if LR have the key codes recorded.)

PeterD
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 544011

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 23:28

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 23:28
Mate I would just burn the thing, it ain't worth all the headaches.

God forbid all these electronic security gizmo's go haywire in the middle of nowhere.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 544029

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 00:12

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 00:12
LOL glad I've got a poverty pack Lux. Only chips in my keys is if I spill my lunch on them :))))

FollowupID: 544035

Follow Up By: BMKal - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 04:27

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 04:27
PeterD - you don't need to get "the chip" to talk to the immobilizer to get the engine started. If you've got a D2, read page 15 of the owner's manual. Just about any vehicle with a factory immobilizer fitted (and many after-market ones) will have a way to bypass the system in the event of either losing a main key or the electronics in the key failing.

Believe me - I've got a D2 and I have tried the procedure as described in the manual using the spare key (the one without the chip) to get the car started - it works.

Cheers ........... BM
FollowupID: 544037

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 23:22

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 23:22
BM

Did you get a new key cut and try this emergency starting procedure? Does his key work without using the emergency starting procedure? I am well aware of this emergency procedure, I described it in an earlier post, I have practised it in case I have had to use it. If what you are describing as the spare key is the second one that was supplied with the vehicle then it also has the chip synchronised. If you get an new third key you have to present all three to the service centre to be synchronised at the one time.

PeterD
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 544210

Follow Up By: BMKal - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 06:11

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 06:11
Peter - I've got three keys. Two with chips and one without. The one without will only open the driver's door and will not start the vehicle, unless I follow the emergency procedure. I'm not even sure if the one without the chip is a genuine Landrover key. It looks like it has been cut at a locksmith - it came with the vehicle, I haven't had it cut. Not really sure why Landrover would supply a key without the chip, as it really cannot be used for much under normal circumstances, but it has got me out of trouble once when my normal bunch of keys got locked in the car. When I go fishing or swimming, I usually lock the normal key (with chip) inside the car and take the spare without the chip with me worn around my neck on a leather thong. At least if this one gets wet, there's no damage to the chip / battery / electronics.

I've also read that there is another fairly easy way to get into the Disco through the rear door without causing any damage. I won't go into detail on how to do it on here - but it isn't described in the manual and I can't say for sure if it really works or not - don't really want to try to find out. Read about it on the Landrover web site.

Cheers ............. BM
FollowupID: 544229

Sponsored Links