Robe-Beachport (A few days I will not forget both good and bad)

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:11
ThreadID: 53092 Views:4352 Replies:11 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
As some of you know last Wednesday Careen (SWMBO) and myself decided we were going to Robe for a few days leaving Thursday morning. Members Borgy and Littleborgy (dad and brother) came the following day.

By 6:30 am Thursday Careen and myself were driving out the driveway and not looking back. On the way visiting some friends in Murray Bridge before making our way down to Robe.

After having a look in Robe we set up camp at Stony Rise camp ground in the Little Dip Conservation Park at about 3:30pm.

After we set up camp we both drove down to the beach for a bit of a loo. The sand was very soft, even though the tyres were down to 18psi it was till hard going. Went back to camp after watching the sunset over the sea, went back to camp and called it a day.

After a cold nights sleep (about 3-5deg) the sun warmed up the camper so it was time to get out of bed and wait for Borgy, Littleborgy and the tribe to arrive.When they turned up they set up camp and we (all three viechles) went for a drive down to the beach for a few photos and so Brad's (Littleborgy) two daughters Zoe and Katie could have a paddle.

After about 15 minutes we all jumped in out 4by's and went to drive off. They weren't going anywhere, All three Nissan's were stuck right down to the chassis

We all broke Dave's (Borgy) number 1 rule on beach driving, never park below the track!!

We all tried to get our own cars out and almost succeeded but only got about 10meters up the beach and that's as far as it got.

All the tyres were now down to 12psi. Brads unstuck his wagon and got in a position up on the track to snatch me out. He snatched me out but only until I got stuck again. Then Brads got stuck again, we were stuffed.

It was hopeless trying to to dig three cars at once so we concentrated on one at a time.

The ute was first being the lighter one, thought it would be easier. We dug out the chassis and diffs, put a length of wood under the front wheel and gave that a go. It just didn't happen. The opposite wheel to where the wood was spun and dug deeper.

Then decided to try Brads Patrol. It was up on the track so thought that would be the next best one. Brads dug out under the chassis and diffs and about 2 meters in front and put 2 lengths of wood under the front wheels. With four of us pushing and Dave driving, got it out. Phew.

We then used three snatch straps joined together and Brads dragged the ute out, Dave drove the up on the track and with three snatch straps dragged me right off the beach. We then called it a day and went back to camp.

Saturday started well. It was a nice day again and had planned the night before to tackle the Robe - Beachport run.

Brads and myself drove into Robe to receive some local knowledge on the track as none of us had been there before. How silly of me, I didn't even think to check the trek notes on EO :)

We left the tyres down to 12psi, just seeing how we go. The track seemed pretty easy, only a couple of places needed 4L.

Driving along a beach and I saw an exit so I took it. Went left up a slight hill and strait down again with all the weight on the left front and popped the tyre off the bead.I wasn't going anywhere, tried forward and back but didn't move. Bull bar was wedged in the sand. Dad snatched me out in reverse very easily (again). Little did I know the next exit was easier and the proper one.You get that being the trip leader (guinea pig).

We lifted the front up with the highlift and got the tyre pumped back up again, this time up to 20psi. It took a bit of mucking around trying to seal the bead but we done it. We decided to have lunch on the beach and pump all the tyres up to 20psi, we weren't risking that again.

Back on the track again and Brads had trouble getting over a hill, four attempts later I gave him a gentle snatch over. Too easy.

With the track being a one lane track I came nose to nose with a Rodeo duel cab. With there being three of us he said he would move off the track. There was scrub either side of us he backed up a little bit and found a clearing. It was a bit tight but very do-able. He had to park up on a bit of a sandy bank that sloped down to the track and $I had the same on my side. We both drove up the sides slowly, then we both uncontrollably slid sidewards down toward each other my bull bar sitting an inch away from the tub of his ute. With his passengers panicking a bit he decided to back up a bit because forward for him wasn't an option. I could have probably moved forward but thought I might slide into him as the sand was loose.

He started to back up but soon realised out mirrors had crossed over and were going to clash. Good old Nissan mirrors were able to be pushed right back and I ended up backing out. Easily in the end. That was close.

With about 4klm to go the left front tyre came off the bead again, didn't stuff around this time just put the spare on and away we went. Got to Beachport re-inflated tyres and drove back to camp via the black top.

I went to have another go at fixing the tyre back at camp and noticed the valve on the inside of the rim had a chunk taken from it. It must have happened when I tried to get out of the bog when it came off the first time. Oh well you get that.

We were all planning to go home on the Sunday but Dad having a heart attack around midnight made it inevitable. I drove him into Robe while mum called the ambulance. If it wasn't for them and the doctor who was on call he probably wouldn't be here today.

Dad is still recovering in the Flinders Hospital and should be out in the next couple of days.

All in all it was a very memorable few days and would like to go back one day with a few lessons learnt

Cheers Luke
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:19

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:19
Luke,

Are you saying Borgy had a heart attack ????

AnswerID: 279628

Follow Up By: Member - Luke (SA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:23

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:23
Yes Gramps I am, Sorry probably should have worded it better. I know him as dad :)

Cheers Luke
FollowupID: 543797

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:27

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:27
Luke,

Hope all is well with him now. Please pass on my best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery. Been there, done that. It definitely is not a pleasant experience.

FollowupID: 543798

Follow Up By: Member - Luke (SA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:32

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:32
Thanks Gramps,

He will be out of hospital either tomorrow at the earliest but more than likely Saturday. I will send on your regards but I'm sure he will have plenty of time in the next few months to thank you and others

Thanks again

Cheers Luke
FollowupID: 543801

Reply By: Member - BIGDOG G (WA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:25

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:25
Wow, I dont know what to say,

I hope dad makes a complete recovery.

Cheers..............BIGDOG.......Tom
AnswerID: 279629

Follow Up By: Member - Luke (SA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:34

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:34
Thanks Tom,

He will be on medication for the rest of his life from it but (with everything crossed) he should be ok as long as he looks after himself

Cheers Luke
FollowupID: 543802

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:55

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 22:55
Well I glad everything worked out in the end. Of course next time you go 4wding he will have and excuse for not digging out and you boys nwill have to do it. Thank god in the end he was OK.

As`far as the beach stuff goes nar Robe can be a bit ordinary.
I prefer starting at Nora Crienna and heading to Beachport.

Did you have a play around in the nine mile dift area where the Millicent buggy club is?
AnswerID: 279639

Follow Up By: Member - Luke (SA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:11

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:11
Thanks David,

We (well I know I did) had a look at climbing some of those hills but opted not to. We could hear a couple of buggies so I thought better not to as I didn't know where they were. There was one hill (part of the track) that we all went up a couple of times for photos.

There is a pic in my home page of the three of us descending it.

Thanks again David

Cheers Luke
FollowupID: 543811

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:04

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:04
Oi! Vey - what a nightmare.

Hope the sick man gets better and turns up to EX-OZ 08 at Innaminca.

Its a very ordinary time when you have to use the recovery gear constantly.

AnswerID: 279642

Follow Up By: Member - Luke (SA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:20

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:20
Thanks Lucy but I don't think Borgy will be turning up to Innaminka in 08 to the gathering. But then again he might. Who knows how he will fell by then.

As far as using the recovery gear constantly wasn't a problem (for me any way). IMO the more I used it the better I felt, as I haven't really used it that often so was good to get a bit of practice (I suppose practice is the word).

Cheers Luke
FollowupID: 543813

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:34

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:34
Member - 'Lucy' Cried: Its a very ordinary time when you have to use the recovery gear constantly.

yea, you would be used to that being bogged constantly.
FollowupID: 544071

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 11:52

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 11:52
And a happy new year to you to sunshine.

R U going to attend the 08 Nat Meet at Innaminka.

FollowupID: 544083

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 14:38

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 14:38
tried calling you the other week, btu you must have caller ID on..

innaminka? is that near Kings Hut?
FollowupID: 544115

Reply By: Member - Debbie R (SA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:49

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:49
Luke,

Read your post with great interest. Very sorry to hear that Dave has had a heart attack, I'm sure that it was a scary for all concerned, but hopefully with the medication all will be okay, please give Dave and your Mum my best wishes. Let Dave know that this is his warning to slow down a bit. I am sure he will be back on here by the weekend.

I was interested in your post due to the fact that when we went to Robe 2 Christmas's ago we had an interesting and eventful weekend as well. The nights were extremely chilly but the heat of the day was extreme, didn't get bogged to the extreme that you three did but we had a few close calls, my brother actually got into a slide, slipping off one of the sand hills and was perched sideways with sand up to his side steps and still slipping. Very scary, no time to make a cuppa and think about what to do. That same weekend my brother developed a very bad toothache but not wanting to miss out on sights etc kept driving and playing, took extra medication (has very bad Rhu-Arthritis on lots of meds) to get through, on arriving back in Adelaide Sunday afternoon suggested he go to dentist the next day. Had a phone call a 6am Monday morning from his partner to say that they were at Royal Adelaide due to face swelling and not being able to breathe properly. Long story cut short he was taken for emergency surgery to remove a wisdom tooth (at 49yrs) and put into an induced coma for three days to enable his body to fight the infection, yes we nearly lost him was very scary for us for a while there. He is again fit and well, seems you fellas live and breathe 4wd (I understand why cause I enjoy it as well) but I think maybe there comes a time when we have to rest as well so we can play big boys games.

Any how I am so glad that Dave is on the mend, once again pass on my best wishes hope he gets better soon.

Cheers
Debbie
AnswerID: 279650

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:49

Thursday, Jan 03, 2008 at 23:49
Stewth Luke!!!! You're up for this month's muck-up award....

Annette and I were in stitches reading your story; until we got the end bit......Crikey, we're glad Dave is gunna be okay....

A real wake-up call I guess....

As for the trip report; we're gunna cut n paste it into the next newsletter!! That's a classic..... (We'll head it up "HOW NOT TO DRIVE ON SAND", by Cool-Hand Luke)

Glad there was no damage to man or machine mate

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 279651

Reply By: Member - Dalb (SA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 16:52

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 16:52
Luke

Likewise, an interesting story, until the bit about your dad - hope he is recovering well.

I found the Beachport/Millicent area to be far more challenging than anything in the Simpson Desert.

I too peeled a tyre of the bead, but there was no way in the world it was going to seal up again, even with the big compressor at the Beachport servo. Ended up driving home to Adelaide without a spare, as it was a Sunday and all tyre places were closed.

Please let me (and others) know what tricks, if any, you used to get the tyre to re-seal.

cheers, Dalb
Cheers, Dalb

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 279778

Follow Up By: Member - Luke (SA) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 00:44

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 00:44
Dalb,

Sorry I haven't replied earlier, been a bit busy.

All we did was jack the front of the car up till the tyre was off the ground, push the rear bead back on then (with the compressor connected) gripped our fingers on the outside tread and gently pull until the outside bead seals. If you pull it out too quick the rear bead will nine times out of ten come off, so gently is the key. I was on one side and Brad was on the other side so there was a hand pulling in each corner (I know tyres don't have corners but just picture a square around the tyre if you get my drift).

With the valve in it takes a while but if you have a valve remover it works much quicker.

Hope this helps

Cheers Luke
FollowupID: 544223

Reply By: Pete and Lez - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 20:02

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 20:02
Howdy Luke and Ree errr... I mean Careen,hope your'e dad gets well soon. Tricky beaches down that way, nearly lost our cruiser down there a few years ago. Stuck down to diffs, rising tide plus a storm pushing the water up the beach. after 4 hours of digging, and digging and digging, finally got out with water licking the tyres. Learnt plenty that day. anyway, hoping all is well.
Cheers Peter and Lez
AnswerID: 279803

Reply By: Member - Littleborgy (SA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 20:25

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 20:25
I too will never forget that weekend... It was great to finally get the fourby out for some decent 4WDing.

"Back on the track again and Brads had trouble getting over a hill, four attempts later I gave him a gentle snatch over. Too easy."

That's where i wish i had a turbo on the GQ, but for now, i reckon it can wait.

I reckon Saturday night was the scariest thing i've ever witnessed... Seeing your own dad go through all that pain & not being able to do much about it was the worst feeling... Dad is out of hospital now, hopefully that's where he'll stay (out of hospital)

Cheers, Brad
AnswerID: 279815

Reply By: time waster - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 08:57

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 08:57
We invested in a set of maxtrax and was down there a month ago camping in Long Gully camp grounds, the maxtrax saved alot of digging and worked a treat.
AnswerID: 279878

Reply By: Member - Dalb (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 14:57

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 14:57
Luke

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully it wont happen to me again, but of course, there always Murphy lurking in the sand and elsewhere.

cheers, dalb
Cheers, Dalb

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 280614

Sponsored Links