Caravan roof racks

Submitted: Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 13:54
ThreadID: 53103 Views:9926 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Are there any particular roof racks I should be looking at for my van (Jayco Hawk)?
Are there any specific models that are better than others, or is Supercheap ones ok?
Not looking to carry a great deal of weight - after all its a wind up & the struts wont support much. More to carry stuff into the camp site & unload before lifting. Its for my fishing kayak.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:14

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 14:14
You would be best off talking to someone like Roof Rack Word.

There is a multitude of roof rack mounts in Rhino, Thule and Rola brands to suit almost all circumstances and there a specific accessories for securely holding kayaks and the like while travelling.

Roof Rack World

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 279751

Reply By: rambada1 - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:55

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:55
Thanks for that. I've got Rhino roof racks for my 4wd with Kayak carrying accessories. Just wasn't sure if they did a caravan mount or if there was a specific type for vans. Will contact some local agents.
AnswerID: 279773

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 16:53

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 16:53
Hi rambada1

Jayco have Roof Cross Bars to suit Pop Tops, have you given them any thought, they will carry small Tinnies ect.

Cheers
Daza
FollowupID: 543917

Reply By: rambada1 - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 20:33

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 20:33
Good suggestion. Have thought of the Jayco racks but often some aftermarket brands are better than standard ones. And Jayco are not the most robust of products around. Wanting to look at all available options and test the water of peoples experience - for better or worse. The mounting comes to mind. Going over any corregations is bad enough on the vehicle/vans integrity - roof rack mounts have to support the same forces. Hence Rhino system on my 4wd roof (but I'm not that confident to have a van roof driilled into - support wise & leak wise). Just wondered at peoples experience with OME & different brands.
AnswerID: 279818

Reply By: Craigjackaroo - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:06

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 07:06
I purchased some sliding roofrack tracks off a commodore wagon from the wreckers and pop riveted them to either side of the roof of my pop top caravan with a little liquid nails. These were mounted to the outer frame part of the roof where my Van uses a fairly solid aluminium moulding. The pop rivets protude only slightly into the area where the skirt on the poptop folds up posing no hinderance. I then used some 30 X 30 RHS aluminium to make up my own rails and used some 5mm stainless strap to make the sliders drilling and tapping them. I used some aluminium blocks to lift the rails up off the roof. The main purpose for this setup was for mounting solar panels which I had the ability to remove when required. You could mount the rails and purchase some rola racks to suit that will just slide into the tracks anyway.
AnswerID: 279864

Sponsored Links