Troopy mods for long trem remote

Submitted: Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:06
ThreadID: 53106 Views:9458 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Before our 2007 big trip in the new 2006 3 seater troopy, we made lots of mods. Some for comfort and some for travelling. I thought you might like to see. Haven’t posted like this before. So don’t know if pics will come out. Using dial-up. So will try just the Travel mods first.

We planned to travel solo in remote WA/SA for 12 months or longer and free camp to the extent possible without breaking rules.

We wanted to be clutter free; have all heavy items restrained safely, excellent access to most items, to be able to live outside or in the car conveniently and comfortably, to go where we wanted - within our solo capability.

We started with original tyres on splits and came back with BFG AT on splits. Starting Km 14500; end km 49,000. Time 8 months – interrupted by Toyota stuff up and cut short due to family emergency.

TRAVEL MODS
.Remove all interior fibre panels. Lined cavities with plastic flute board against the body panels (eg estate agents sales signs)
.Install ARB front diff lock (relied on standard LSD at the back)
Install breather attachments and extension tubes to diffs and transmission
.Install 2nd hand bull bar, IPF lights
.Attach 25mm square wire mesh on centre section of bull bar; cover with metal fly wire
.Install 2x65w BP solar panels on TJM full length roof rack – panels in SS frame locked to rack, hard wired through roof to engine bay
.Install dual battery
.Make and install formal tyre carrier for additional tyre in roof rack
.Install HF radio in side cavity high above wheel arch
.Install Self-tune HF aerial on bull bar (now on hinged bracket to lay flat in town)
.Make and install SS axe-holder behind bull bar (no winch)
.Make and install rear storages - ie full length steel sided ‘tubs’ down each side with a 30cm centre aisle. This allowed easy access to any area. (Floor of centre aisle can be raised to support a folding double mattress when needed.)
.170cm low profile steel roller drawer on passengers side for tools and recovery.
.Make and install two full length (190cm x 15cm) steel shelves above side windows.
.Install UHF radio in dash space
.Make and install zipped wardrobe behind driver (1m drop)
.Install ARB air pump behind driver. Airhose remained connected and stored in back of seat
.2 tubes installed along floor for UHF and HF whip aerials
.Buy Garmin Etrex Legend GPS with preloaded tracks4aust
.Make and install SS fly screens for sliding windows
.Make SS straps and J bolts to secure 100mm pipes to roof rack

Cheers all -

Hmmm, seems the pics didn't work. If some one knows how to attach small pics in thread - please let me know

Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:53

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 15:53
Chris,

You need to have the pics in Photobucket or similar to appear in a thread.
Use the direct link of the pic in photobucket and use the insert image icon below the submit icon.
You need to delete the http:// before you add the copied direct link from photobucket otherwise you end up with 2 http:// and the link wont work.

Hope this helps

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 279772

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 17:38

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 17:38
Thanks Kev

Now I'll just have to discover what the heck is a photobucket - I thought I had one - the camera. Oh well...

Cheers

Chris - Techno-neanderthal

FollowupID: 543935

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 17:41

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 17:41
Chris,

You need to upload your pics from the camera via the computer to photo bucket but you will need to set up a user name and password for it as well.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 543938

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 16:01

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 16:01
Hi Chris
Interested as to how you got the breather tubes onto the transfer + main gear boxes as access is very limited?
I have done my diffs(easy),but yet to do gearboxes,not needed in SA or Southern WA as it doesn't rain anymore :)
Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 279774

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 17:36

Friday, Jan 04, 2008 at 17:36
I used two diameters of rubber tubing - 6mm fuel hose to engine bay force/heat fitted into a larger dia 'adaptor' that forces over those nasty little breather stubs. These are then secured using a small jubilee clip. I did not have to lower the gearbox or any other mech interference. There is a set of swear words - but I forget the exact order.

The tubes need very sharp bends to ensure they stay clear of the body. To make these permanent and kink free I inserted metal brake pipe tubing into the 6mm tubing before making up the adaptor. It was then just a matter of careful trial and error to get a tight bend that works.

I considered running the rear diff breather past these tx breathers and collecing them all for only one tube forward. But defaulted to simpler more reliable two tubes.

The tubes from the 2 tx breathers go to a plastic T piece and then up the firewall - ending in a simple fuel filter.

Note - my Prado suffered corrosion where I tied breather tubes to the existing metal tubing. Seems they caught and retained mud, salts and moisture. This time I made up separate SS hangers using the existing hanger points. So now the breathers tubes have air around them and are free of any other plumbing.

I've routinely checked breathers at every lube - only to see if they are still on - not how well they seal - but I expect they are good.

Cheers Chris
FollowupID: 543933

Reply By: Member - Dick (Int) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 03:21

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 03:21
Hi Chris

I hope you will soon post the photo's of your Troopy as I am anxious to see them. If you can't figure out Photobucket, you could post them on your rig page so we can access them from there.

How did you carry your gas cylinders.

Dick
Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 279859

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 09:11

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 09:11
Hi Dick

I might have time to post photos - took a few new ones yesterday. But short notice trip north in NSW for the next week is now getting in the way.

Want to learn about photo bucket - but will default to the rig page if needed.

Carried just one gas bottle - which is needed throughout summer months in most areas. (Be pretty foolhardy to light fires most times - however we did occasionally use the eco billy for a quick cuppa.

The 3.5lt gas cyclinder has its own storage crate in the cabin. I have toyed with ventilated options - but not yet. One was to simply fit a hose over the gas outlet and run it to outside. Should work. But I've been 10 years without properly solving this.

You've got me back to it - I'll put it on the list of things to do. (Seriously)

Hmmm 10yrs... need to buy new cyclinder, regulator etc

I'll let you know when the pics are sorted

Cheers
Chris
FollowupID: 544058

Sponsored Links