GU Heat

Submitted: Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 11:37
ThreadID: 5313 Views:1641 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
SWMBO are up in Maleny Q from Syd for a few days visiting relos. Good drive up through Bucklets Way and Thunderbolt Way to Uralla cuts off quite a few Ks and gets away from the main H/Ws, semis & c/cars. Stayed overnight in Armidale at Southern Comfort Motel for $63.oo using the "Entertainment Book" if anyone has them its a great deal. What we saved has paid for the book already.

Driving the GU 3L TD & noticed a lot of heat build up around the tunnel area and behind the dash. When removing CDs from the players they are really hot. I mean really hot. When the air con is turned off you can notice a build up of heat in the cabin. Is this typical heat generated by a TD. Any opinions ??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kevin (NSW/ACT) - Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 13:21

Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 13:21
Very interested in others responses as I have the same tunnel heating problem in my 2002 GU 4.2TD. Not really noticable on short drives but the cabin gets very hot on long ones, and also after lots of slow low-range work - to the extent that I've had to use the aircond where normally I wouldn't. I thought the problem must be to do with the heat shielding on the exhaust pipe but Nissan have said that mine is perfectly okay (that doesn't mean it is not the problem though).

Cheers

Kevin - sitting here, thinking of there
------------------------------------------
2002 GU Patrol ST 4.2TD
2000 15' Supreme Getaway
AnswerID: 21982

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 14:18

Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 14:18
ahhhhhhh Buckets and Thunderbolts way!! I remember them on the bike heading to the Oxley Hwy and Gingers Creek :) MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Anyway others on the Patrol list have had this problem, and Im not sure of the outcome, but lookin at the archives could help you out a lot..

Just an option...
AnswerID: 21986

Reply By: Eric - Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 22:35

Friday, Jun 06, 2003 at 22:35
Cocka2000.
The motor in most vehicles is about 15-20% eficient. If you are pumping out 100kw the motor is disipating aprox 500kw in the radiator, this energy has to go somewhere, in the early models with more space around the motor the hot air from the radiator was diluted with cold air by the time it hit the fire wall but as the engine compartment gets more cramped les cold air mixing happens, the only cure is to get more air in behind the radiator and motor. A body lift is one drastic way of fixing the problem, louvers in the bonnet or the inner gaurds may help. If you make the mistake of placing shade cloth over your radiator that will make things hotter. Eric.
AnswerID: 22007

Sponsored Links