Has anyone pulled a Waeco apart???

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 22:15
ThreadID: 53151 Views:2914 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all

I have a waeco CF50 that has a crack in the bottom (inside) and have leaked food juices through the crack and inside the cavity. It really really stinks.

It has been like that for a little while and realised it was like that before we went to Robe last week. I blamed SWMBO for NOT cleaning out the fridge properly after the last trip. Oh how I was wrong LOL.

I have looked at pulling it apart and can find no way to do it. I have the compressor cover off but that's as far as I can see I can do as the piping goes through the foam insulation.

I also have drilled the three rivets out that hold the side walls in and broken the silicon seal but it seems the foam insulation is stuck to everything.

I don't want to go bending and breaking things but if I have to and can be fixed cheaply I would be prepared for it.

If anyone out there has pulled one apart and could let me know how you did it I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance

Cheers Luke
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 22:31

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 22:31
Try the nearest agent for advice Luke.

Link below

Waeco agents in Sth Aussie...

Grrr!!!
AnswerID: 279995

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 00:30

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 00:30
Crazy Dog
Time you went to bed , that's where I'm headed very soon,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 544222

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 19:43

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 19:43
So Doug...

Do you mean to say that you are coming over to my place to jump into bed with me??

That is what you said!!!!

It's a long drive from down there at the park to Cairns at that time of nite!!!!

I'm waiting........

Grrr!!!
FollowupID: 544337

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 20:02

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 20:02
Crazy Dog
Umm....Ummm..Err...Umm..Shhh don'y have let steve know ,,lol
Hey old mate I gotta go to Innisfail tomorrow morning and I think I might go to cairns to get 2 OME front Dampers, and I want an excercise bike...Yeh you heard , Steve gave me your A/D so might drop in to say Hi !..

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 544341

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 20:15

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 20:15
No probs..Ph No in a PM to U..

Grrr!!!

I have arranged clean sheets as well....
FollowupID: 544345

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 22:39

Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 22:39
I'm not familiar with the Waeco but would imagine that it would be like most of them in that they are put together and then the foam is injected or poured in to the cavity and after it goes off then is sealed for life.
As far as your repair goes I'd be washing it as well as you can, turning it upside down to get the stinky stuff out as much as possible, drying it out in the cavity, if there is any space put a little bit of builders foam in there and then preferably get the case plastic welded if possible along the crack.
If the dirty water has soaked into the whole bottom of the frig and insulation you may have to carefully cut holes with a holesaw in the outside of the case and let the moisture drain/dry out and then repair/weld all the bits back in.
Depending on the actual plastic an epoxy might repair it also. might be a bit of trial and error to find out what sticks to it.
Araldite will be awaste of time as you need and epoxy that can handle the temp fluctuations and doesn't go hard but tolerate a small movement. Welding would be preferable.
AnswerID: 279997

Reply By: wheeleybin - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 09:11

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 09:11
Dont muck with it as its not an economical proposition.

Get some old fashioned floor wax and seal the crack from the inside.
AnswerID: 280044

Follow Up By: Steve Ellis - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 09:20

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 09:20
Have you tried 100 mile an hour tape. I think it would work. Dont use floor wax as nothing will stick to it afterwards if it fails to seal, which it will.
FollowupID: 544252

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 18:11

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 18:11
Had this very problem myself, I got some beach into it, let it soak in for 30mins ( to kill germs and deodorise) then rinsed everything throughly. allowed to sit in the open under shade for a few days to dry out any moisture. I used 3M Scotch-Grip Plastic Adhesive 4475 Clear simply because I had a tube but any plastic adhesive will do the trick, spread it over the crack and forced it in via the use of a gloved finger ( much like checking a prostate) allowed it all to dry and presto, done.
AnswerID: 280107

Follow Up By: Member - Luke (SA) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 22:34

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 22:34
Thanks Mr Fawlty,

I have already cleaned it out with bleach and have tipped the fridge up on it's end (compressor up) and juice came out from between the floor and the side. It seems to be dried up now but the smell is still there. Also I will keep doing that till nothing but clean bleach comes out and the smell goes away or the best it gets.

Cheers Luke
FollowupID: 544382

Sponsored Links