Thoughts on Toyota's 4.5L 1FZ-FE Motor....

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 05, 2008 at 23:57
ThreadID: 53156 Views:59542 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy Folks, hows things?

Just a quick one.

I am looking at buying an '95 80 series Cruiser with the 1FZ-FE 4.5l dual cam petrol motor. From all reports it packs about 158kw which is great...but what about economy & reliability? Anyone have any feedback on that? It's also on gas.

Cheers in advance...

Ro
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 08:52

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 08:52
Generally the engines are very good no major issues.
Very smooth and quiet.
With the price of fuel $1.40/$1.50 and it wont go down, I would think about about it
they like a drink.
You will hear varying amounts
on fuel economy from good to very bad.
Their are a lot of variables which will effect economy
tyers/auto/manual/roof rack etc etc.
ulp Expect 16/17 L 100klm, Hyw.
18/20 L 100klm city.
If it has been on gas for some time it may need the valves
checked and adjusted as lpg tends to burn valves. and the tank needs testing every 10 years.
I have mine on LPG and still not convinced with the stuff,
as the price of it 70cents and rising.
I use about 22L 100klm hwy on lpg.
Search Exploroz forum should be a lot more info.
or have a look hereSite Link
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 280042

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 11:49

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 11:49
I have to agree with Rob S (NSW).

I had one on dual fuel and my experiences were about 20l/100 on ULP and about 23L/100 on LPG (highway. unladen).

Valves will need checking as they are subject to burn out with LPG. I had an automatic upper cylinder lubricant system on mine and still burnt the bvalves out, so keep an eye on that.

As for power, well they have heaps of it. Great on the highway to get around bleep s. Great for towing, but thirsty.

Apart from a few problems with some of the LPG system and the head having to be reconditioned, I had no problems to speak off.

Cheers,

Cruiser
AnswerID: 280065

Reply By: Bidgee1 - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 12:57

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 12:57
Ro, we have an 1993 '80 series petrol cruiser which we've had since new. It's only done about 140000 K's and is presently sitting in a shed under wraps again until we head north next year, although my bride would like me to sell it and to buy her a small car.
In fact, this irregular use is one of the reasons we bought a petrol motor as sitting around for long periods unused doesn't suit diesels.
Without any doubt, this is the best car we've ever had and is a great tow vehicle. I have plenty of mates who have the turbo diesel's and the later 100 series. I'm not convinced that the are so much better. I pay $14 for an oil filter. Check out the cost of the turbo diesel filter. Gulp.
The diesel's get through plenty under load too, don't worry about that.
The petrol 4.5 litre motor is regard as the finest petrol motor Toyota ever built for a 4WD.
We're fussy about oil and filters and use Mobil1, a full synthetic and change it and the filter every 10,000 k's.
Yep, they do like a drink, we tow an Ultimate camper and manage to get through 17 litres for every 100 k's travelled. The motor is just fabulous and we've never had any problems with it in that regard. We decided not to pursue the gas conversion because we had heard that they were causing problems with valves and we needed the room for spare wheels etc.
Since new we have replaced the radiator (warranty), the fuel pump (warranty), the exhaust and had the drivers seat re-covered. Not bad for a 14 yo car. We've modified the suspension by replacing the standard springs and shockers (I still have them) for towing. These pages are full of tips on service tricks and I followed advice here re the oil in the gearbox to stop the noise and notchy shift. Perfect now.
They are a great car Ro, you are on the right track.
Contact me if you like on lovettsma@bigpond.com.au
Regards
Steve L.
AnswerID: 280078

Follow Up By: Member - Brian A (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 16:39

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 16:39
Hi
I also have a 1995 Auto and also tow an Ultimate trailer. I can honestly say I have not had any problems with the vehicle and it is now approaching 250K kms. At the end of the day, I am convinced that the overall service and running costs of this vehicle over time, will compare very favourably with the diesel motors that most on this forum favour!
Regards
Brian
Brian Adshead

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 544316

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 03:10

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 03:10
No hope on the running costs!
even though there is 5000k sercice intervals the diesal I would use 50l less on a 600km highway run than a mate thats around $580 more to runover 5000k ON THE HIGHWAY
considering its about$80 for an oil change there is no comparrison if you are talking running costs alone
FollowupID: 544419

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 03:11

Monday, Jan 07, 2008 at 03:11
argg its late gas will make a difference
FollowupID: 544420

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 14:34

Sunday, Jan 06, 2008 at 14:34
Gidday Ro,
The outlaw has a 94 model, not on gas, and has had no problems at all. Does a fair bit of caravaning every year and a lot of beach driving, never any issues. Is a bit thirsty but he reckons its the price you pay for that kind of reliability.

Next best thing to a Patrol I reckon.....hahaha.

Cheers...Lionel.
AnswerID: 280088

Sponsored Links