O/T Reading todays paper and found this....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 21:06
ThreadID: 53258 Views:2193 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
BRISBANE toads are set to hop into an orgy of breeding courtesy of last week's rain. After a decade of drought many waterholes are full and creeks running.
Conditions are expected to help toads, native frogs, mosquitoes and insects to breed.
James Cook University's Associate Professor Ross Alford said toad numbers tended to fluctuate depending upon the seasons and breeding could easily be stymied by long periods of drought.
"Their numbers definitely go up and down, especially if you get a few years without much rain," Professor Alford said.
"You've got to get good enough rain to keep water long enough for tadpoles to get through.
"If that happens you'll have a bunch of toads again."
Professor Alford said the survival rate of toads was extremely low, with about three in 10,000 tadpoles growing into adults.
During a good wet season toads can breed more than once with with 7000 to 30,000 eggs each time.
Professor Alford said the amount of low-lying land that had been drained or developed and creeks turned into concrete drains had been a factor in limiting breeding of toads and native frogs.
"Toads are versatile. They can breed in anything from a river to a relatively small pool of water," he said.
Unlike many native frogs, the cane toad did not need special food or conditions to start breeding.

Looks like another assult from the north...... HAHAHAHAHA :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 22:15

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 22:15
Go Get em boys, to the south and west of this great colony is where you need to head. Cross the parched desert country and wreak havoc in SA. ROFLMAO!!!

Ohhhhhhh I can just see the skirt wearing brigade of Crow Eaters turning in their sleep..........a a ar.. are th..the...they .....h...h... he...here yet? "One of them caused enough terror at the last national gathering, what is a couple of thousand going to do?"

Our mate Sir Ribit Alot will be rubbing his legs together at the prospect of all this eager skirt running around wanting their eggs fertilised LOL!!!

Cheers to the rain.
Trevor.
AnswerID: 280531

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:51

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:51
We may have to deliver a few more at the National Gathering LOL

I am sure Innaminka would love a cane toad colony :))

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 544792

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:49

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:49
Trevor,

I don't think so mate.

There's not even a puddle for them to breed in down here and we haven't had any decent rain since the Arc was on the water.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 280558

Reply By: Mark & Jo, S/side, Bris - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 22:33

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 22:33
'Unleash the toads'

ahhahahaha
aaaahaaaahaaaahaaahhhaaa
(evil laugh while sitting in chair with legs crossed and fingers moving together)
AnswerID: 280871

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 21:33

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 21:33
I was so looking forward to a good roasting from the crow eaters and they have failed me again :-(((((((((((

No spines in those buggers hehehehe.

Trevor.
AnswerID: 281085

Sponsored Links