hiclones / counteract

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 11:10
ThreadID: 5326 Views:4029 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
i have a 2002 gu III nissan patrol 4.8l petrol, and i am interested in any info on the fittment of "hiclone" and also considering fitting a "counteract" electronic rustproofing system, any info would be greatly appreciated.
regards Col....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 11:35

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 11:35
Col
I posted a thread on electronic rust prevention units not long back so you should be bale to get most info from there. Can't remember the post # sorry
AnswerID: 22025

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 12:10

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 12:10
Col,

I fitted a hi-clone to my 3.0 patrol and it is great. better than 10% fuel economy improvement, smoother, turbo comes in earlier - all around a good deal.

Hi-clone offer a money back guarantee, so you can't go wrong.

I fitted two units

all the bestSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 22029

Reply By: Stolzy - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 13:38

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 13:38
Gday Col,

I have an 1997 80 Series Landcruiser(4.5 petrol) to which I fitted 1 hiclone and 1 K&N airfilter.
This is the prefered arrangement that hilcone recommended for my vehicle. works well too. Get about an extra 100kms out of both tanks (145lt). Also alot better pickup and smoother gear changes (auto tranny).
If you ring hilclone, they will tell you the best arrangement to suit your Patrol.

Hope this helps,

Stolzy
AnswerID: 22030

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 13:51

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 13:51
Hiclones are well known for not doing a flammin thing!

Check heaps of threads on any 4wd forum on the planet, here, outerlimits, snake, patrol, melbourne, brisbane, adelaide, perth, sydney, offroadrigs, gq lists.. all at some stage have had a thread on them...

One of the threads on this place, 99% thought you were better off burning your $100 note!
AnswerID: 22033

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 14:47

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 14:47
gday mate im still waiting for our local hiclone bloke to get back to me about doing a dyno test before and afterhiclone i had better not hold my breathlooking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
FollowupID: 14476

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 16:05

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 16:05
Col, I put all 3 in my 3.0ltr gu fuel consumption worse lucky money back guarentee. Now got d'Tronic chip gooo's like a rocket well worth the $1500 and if it carks it you can plug OE chip back in as d'Tronic pigybacks on original chip.Regards Bob
3 Weeks till Gulf trip
AnswerID: 22038

Reply By: Member - Andrew- Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 17:41

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 17:41
Hi Col
For power and economy, dont go past a unichip-much like the dtronic for diseasals, but to suit your specific motor (tuned to suit your motor). Look up Safari 4wd in the search engine as they distribute them here in oz
Have heard both ways on hiclones, a friend made one and swears it helped his std diseasal 80 series.
A friend installed a counteract, and just for fun, he took out a bolt from the rad support panel and put in a mild steel one. It hasnt even looked like rusting, so there might be something in the negitive ions attracting rust.....
Andrew
AnswerID: 22043

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 20:42

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 20:42
Col, "to Hiclone or not to Hiclone?". Same question as "Nissan or Toyota?", and you'll get the same responses.

You'll get a lot of folk that have never tried one, bagging them. You'll get some that have used them supporting them, some not. You'll generally find those against, expressing it with a passion while those that say they work doing so in a "take it or leave it" sort of way. From those that have tried them (me included) you'll get differing results and views. The general consensus is that they make no difference on a turbo'd motor. For naturally aspirated motors, both petrol and diesel, you'll get as many saying they work as those they say they don't, and there are lots of variables generating those outcomes - age and state of motor being the main one.

I fitted mine to a fairly new petrol V6 and got sufficiently positive results (between 10% and 15% better fuel economy) to keep them (paid forthemselves in 9 months). I didn't get these results at first and had to muck about a bit with positioning of the units and "rebooting" the ECU. Its been suggested this was just the motor running in but the change was immediate. However, one thing that helped make that decision to keep them was the better engine response from the right foot. It really was a noticeable improvement.

They don't work for some, and seem to for others. The money back guarantee is genuine (and was happily extended another 30 days for me), so it couldn't hurt to try. Just have the balls to return it if it really doesn't work for you.

The Unichip is supposed to be the duck's guts but I haven't had enough spare redaies to try one yet (needed the roofrack more). If you do (have the readies), I reckon you'd get seriously better results from one of those.Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 22051

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 22:01

Saturday, Jun 07, 2003 at 22:01
Sneaking suspicion that it is more to do with the particular design of the induction system/heads, hence the problems(works on this, doesn't work on that). The spiral airflow the Hiclone induces may act against the swiirl that the original induction design had, resulting in changed chartacteristics of the inlet manifold and poor performance/economy. Cylinder heads are designed with a bit of "squish" in them, it could also be that the swirl is the right way for three cyls and the wrong way for the other thre cyls.

YMMV
FollowupID: 14485

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 10:37

Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 10:37
That sounds plausible. I guess "suck it and see" will be the only way to find out if they work on a particular vehicle.Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 14493

Follow Up By: Hughesy - Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 17:41

Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 17:41
My understanding of a diesel motor is that the air is drawn in on the down cycle and on the up cycle the air is compressed to about 20:1 and just before TDC the diesel is injected. Now if the air that has been compressed 20 odd times since being "swirled" by the hiclones, has still got any "swirl" effect left in it by the time the diesel is injected at TDC then I'll drink diesel for rum!! Can understand it working for petrol engines because the air and fuel is mixed before entering the cyclinder. Not bagging the Hiclones cause I still have 2 fitted to my 1HZ, but found they didn't make didly-squat difference but was still hoping they would work by the time the money back offer finished (it didn't). Talked about it with a few mates and the above theory is what we came up with. Only wish I'd had that night on the turps before I spent $300 odd dollars on them.
Cheers,
Hughesy
FollowupID: 14526

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 18:39

Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 18:39
Hughsey, the theory is sound, and the single best performance enhancement for a diesel is getting more air in, so a ram effect or turbo would be the go.

You could try selling your Hiclones to someone with a petrol Cruiser (maybe).Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 14531

Reply By: Darrin - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 10:27

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 10:27
I have been using ERPS rust units now for some time. I believe that they do the job.Ive even got one fitted to my fridge in the house which was rusting until I fitted the ERPS unit. It has stopped since fitting.
If you are interested I have a new unit still in warranty that I no longer require.(sold the car Iwas going to fit it to)Guarantee my price will be cheaper than buying new counteract or ERPS. lisadarrin@hotmail.com
AnswerID: 22288

Sponsored Links