Fraser Island conditions

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 08, 2008 at 23:37
ThreadID: 53261 Views:3926 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Fraser Island is open again (i cant keep away), Hook point impassable (inland road only), also the trip to Sandy Cape is not on, Ngkala rocks and by-pass track now impassable. Travel along eastern beach only 1-1.5 hrs. either side of low with some areas soft & difficult, inland roads very very rough. Very few visitors at the moment, very quite for this time for year.
Safe Driving...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 14:07

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 14:07
Thanks for the report

We are going there end of Feb and I did read on the EPA's site that you can only pass 2 hours either side of the tide and I was wondering if that could be right but sounds like they have it spot on. Hopefully by the time we go things should be back to normal.
AnswerID: 280601

Reply By: Kev - Wynnum - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:58

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:58
Hi,
Just got back from Fraser yesterday.
Ngkala Rocks bypass is very eaten out however several vehicles did the bypass, up and back while we were there. There just needs to be some 'road building' to get over the coffee rocks.
Hook point is passible 1.5hrs either side of morning low tides and 2/3 hours either side of afternoon low tides.
The beach is the best I've ever seen and can be travelled 2 hours after any high tide.
The inland tracks are packed down and travel is easy.
Dundabura camp ground is closed from 15/1/08 to March 2008 for refurbishment.
AnswerID: 281152

Sponsored Links