towing

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 15:16
ThreadID: 53276 Views:2555 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I recently located an article in Overlander magazine dated March 2001 where they tested a Prado towing a van weighing 2000 kg. The article said "When travelling at upwards of 95km/h the Prado was easily unsettled by bumps as the rear of the vehicle tended to sway in a pendulum motion." Has anybody had any experience with the post 2003 model Prado towing a van of this weight only using a trigg bros. coupling or the like.

thanks

AJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tessa (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 16:17

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 16:17
AJ
I assume from your question you are asking whether the reported condition has been carried through into the 120 series from the 90 series. I have a 90 series and have previously towed a camper with a laden weight of about 1500kg with a treg coupling without having experienced what you describe. But then again I was not in the habit of towing at 95kph over corrugations. It seems to me that you could expect that response from most vehicles in that situation. The Treg coupling is designed to allowed vertical and lateral movement , and to tow any van at that speed over bumps with that coupling would be an invitation to a rocky ride.

tessa
AnswerID: 280623

Follow Up By: A J - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 16:34

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 16:34
tessa - thanks for that - the test was actually completed on a trip from Sydney - down the steep decent of Bulli pas near Wollongong then up Mount Ousley - also Wollongong back to Sydney - which means all the trip was on main and freeway driving.

AJ
FollowupID: 544880

Follow Up By: Member - Tessa (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:20

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 20:20
AJ
Personally I don't think you will have a problem. I did a lot of miles with my old camper on the treg and never had a problem. It could be that my vehicle was stable because of the load I carried in the back. To be honest I have found my Prado a very stable towing platform - both with the treg and later with the standard ball coupling. If you have some concerns there was a thread within the last few days about using weight distribution hitches with the treg coupling. Have a look at that. Obviously when you get off the blacktop you remove the wdh.

tg
FollowupID: 544938

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 18:04

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 18:04
Hello there AJ. Did the article state whether or not weight distribution equipment was used? If tow ball weight was not equally distributed to all four wheels then I would think that it would contribute to vehicle instability. Cheers
AnswerID: 280631

Follow Up By: A J - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 18:18

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 18:18
Barry F - no there was no weight distribution equipment used. They stated " The Prado's chassis had the shortest wheelbase on this test at 2675 and this could have someting to do with the unstable feel its exhibited when towing the van.....These characteristics would most likely be rectifified by employing additional stabliser bars or other aftermarket towing aids".

The other vehicles were a Jackeroo,Nissan, Landcruiser and Mercedes.

Problem - do I change my motor vehicle 2003 Prado 3.0 lite T/D to tow an off road van which will weigh about 2000 kg.

A J
FollowupID: 544906

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 18:49

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2008 at 18:49
I doubt it necessary to change your vehicle, but I would first check what the towing capacity of your vehicle is and it's max . allowable tow ball weight.
I am no expert & relatively new to towing, & for that reason I'am a firm believer in the use of quality weight equipment as it provides the tow vehicle, if set up properly, with greater control over the effect of what you are towing, in particular steering & braking. We use the current Hayman Reese product but I do not know if this is adaptable to the coupling you refer to. There are many people on this forum who I am sure are better qualified than me to give you good advise. Cheers
FollowupID: 544911

Reply By: ian-and-penny - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 13:43

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 13:43
I used to own a 2003 90 Series Auto GXL TDI Prado (with polyairs), it towed a Kimberley Camper everywhere without any problem whatsoever.

When we upgraded to a caravan (say 1.8 ton) we didn't experience the problem your post refers to. I suspect that this was for a couple of reaons:
1. The polyairs stiffened the rear of the vehicle somewhat. (I did also use a WDH after a while.)
2. The 90 series really didn't have the guts/grunt to tow the van at that sort of speed. (Despite the specs saying that it could do so with ease, and knowingly buying a van that the vehicle could tow). It would take an eternity to wind up to 90km/h on the freeway.

I now own 100 Series, and it tow the van reall well. I'm really happy with it even though I would have preferered not having the expense of having to change vehicles in the first place.

Ian

AnswerID: 280758

Sponsored Links