Which Winch

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 18:38
ThreadID: 53306 Views:2302 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I know this has been discussed over and over. I went through the archives and did some reading for about 30 minutes. I am in the market for one as I am finally getting my ARB Winch bar next week. Now from reading the archives I see that most people say you get what you pay for and to pay the extra and get the best. I have never needed a winch since the lockers can get me just about anywhere I want to go. I am purely getting the winch as extra security for one day that I might need it.

I am interested in the Ironman winches since they are cheaper but from reading some of the old post most people don't like them because they think cheap is necessarily bad. I want to hear from people who have had an Ironman and if they will get one again?

Ta
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 19:41

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 19:41
I have an Ironman winch which I had installed on my Patrol in May last year. I've had a full Ironman suspension kit on my Navara and have upgraded the coils on my Patrol to Ironman as well. Very happy with the winch which works well. I haven't had to use it in anger as yet but then again I'm of the opinion that the best way to use a winch, is to avoid putting yourself in a spot where you need to use it(if you can). Appreciate this is not going to be the case in a lot off situations, particularly for those who love crawling thru the mountains and mud but I'm more of a desert traveller so it's an easier consideration. The difference in price is appreciable.

I've been very happy with the quality of Ironman products and their service.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 280818

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 19:55

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 19:55
G'day Troll 81

Just make sure that whichever winch you buy fits onto the ARB bar. ARB make their bars so that WARN winches can be fitted to them easily. I have a BRAWN winch fitted to an ARB Bar with difficulty.

Cheers
AnswerID: 280821

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 20:13

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 20:13
The Ironman fittings will suit those of Warn winches and the ARB winchbars.

Cheers. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 545165

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 19:56

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 19:56
The Ironman winch will do everything you'll need to do with it.
Cheers Craig..........
AnswerID: 280822

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 20:36

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 20:36
To anyone

What happened to those Hydraulic winches that work utilising the power steering oil. Some bloke in Sydney was making then some time ago, I hav'nt heard of them since

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 280825

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 20:39

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 20:39
Before I made the post I should have done a search.

A hydraulic winch is driven by a hydraulic motor, the fluid pressure coming from a hydraulic pump driven by the main engine of the four wheel drive. Hydraulic winches offer the fine control of electric winches with the endurance of PTO winches.

Traditionally, the hydraulic pump was driven from a gearbox or transfer-case PTO, but a recent development is to make use of the power steering pump already on the vehicle. Such a winch should not be expected to have the wind-in speed of a PTO-hydraulic unit under heavy load, but it should be considerably cheaper. Because the steering system is being modified, it would be prudent to check with the vehicle manufacturer re warranty, your insurance company re cover, and road-authorities re legality.

As of 1999 TJM had begun assembling power-steering driven winches locally.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 280826

Reply By: raunchy - Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 20:58

Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 20:58
Hi Troll,
I have an ironman 12000lb purchased from Repco, 3 year warranty. I believe this is also the same winch ALDI sell from time to time.
I have had some experience with it and this is what I can say.
I purchased the winch and immediately pulled it down to check it. It looked ot built well, sans the dogey electrical lugs on the main cables, however they are yet to fail.
Cable to controller broke a wire inside, probably due to me 3YO son using it as a tow rope. Easy fix. I have a 100 series TD with an ARB bar, the bar has the mount on the bar and one that sits horizontal that is mounted behind the Airbag zigzags so i thought this would be the strongest. Have had need to use it a couple of times, first no probs but second i actually bent this mount and it twisted the winch as the mount bent. I assumes the worst as the winch made all sorts of horrible grinding noises and when I got home I pulled the winch off to inspect. To my amazement there was not a single mark on any of the gears so I regreased and reassembled and then installed it on the mount on the actuall bullbar. Havent used the winch since but it winds in and out nice and quiet and smoothly so it is OK.
Just be careful not do d the bolts up too tight on the elec connections and ALWAYS use a spanner on the back nut on the connections to make sure you dont strip the bolt or spin it off the connections inside the winch.
Overall I would recommend the winch and believe that apart from the few downfalls above it is an excellent winch, if anything the motor may be a little on the too powerful side allowing the winch to maybe pull a little more than the suggested 12,000lbs

regards
Ray
AnswerID: 280836

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 10:02

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 10:02
Thanks Ray

Might give it a go then
FollowupID: 545270

Sponsored Links