Trayon Camper Questions

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 10, 2008 at 22:28
ThreadID: 53321 Views:15991 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

For those who own a TrayOn camper, I have the following questions:

1. How easy is it to open out the tent? And, then once open, fold it back down and pack it up?

2. Similar question, how difficult would this be for my wife who is only small, at 5' 3"?

3. When it rains/pours and one needs to move camp, what problems are there when folding up wet and driving all day to the next camp site? Will the bed be wet upon reopening?

4. Rough corrugations/Simpson desert/dust - any issues?

Thanks for replies in advance,
Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 06:52

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 06:52
We don't have one but friends who regularly travel with us do and over the last couple of years we've been on some very rough trips, Hay river/Simpson Desert and last year the Madigan which is VERY rough.
They have had no problems with dust, only once has the trayon moved on the tray when he got it airborne big time getting over a dune.
As far as packing it up wet and then having to reopen in the wet they use the nylon flysheet which keeps most of the rain off the tent and if it is really wet they put a sheet of plastic or similar over the bed as we do with our Shippshape and hard floor camper.
AnswerID: 280904

Reply By: Dunedigger - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 17:24

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 17:24
I have had one for 5 years. Still as new

1 and 2 .Opening and closing, may be actually easier being small, I am 6'2 and have to bend down a lot to get in/out when opening /closing. Depending on how high the vehicle tray is you may need a ladder to reach the canvas to tuck it away to close.

3. The bedding and lounge will get wet. I use 2 painters drop sheets and works a treat

4 It will stand up to anything and is dust proof, just make sure the 4 clips tighten down the lid. No dust as the door is on the side.

It is the best off road camper available.

I have had mine all over the Victoria high country including coming down the Staircase From Cobbler Lake to King Hut
AnswerID: 281026

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 17:51

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 17:51
1: Pete the tent unfolds reasonably easy and is set up in around 2 to 3 minutes including cracking your 1st tinny. It folds back just as easily but takes a few more moments to tuck the canvas in behind the seals. 5 minutes tops & you're away.
2: It takes a little bit of effort to flip the tent over but the good wife should be able to handle it. Best suggestion is go & try one.
3: A plastic sheet is required on the bed to avoid moisture.
4: Dust not normally an issue if the canvas is pushed back past the seals.

This is one tough camper and even though there's one on the back of this Cruiser it sustained no damage at all!

The Trayon is a touch heavy when fully loaded so putting it on an alloy tray to save weight & installing bellows airbags are good ideas.
Cheers Craig.......
AnswerID: 281036

Follow Up By: Dunedigger - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 20:59

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 20:59
The trayon is actually much lighter than any 'hard top" camper. Supposed to be only 360Kg empty, but shudder to think what it may be once loaded. Our Landcruiser 79 series has quite a stiff suspension anyway
FollowupID: 545403

Reply By: Member - Allan C (VIC) - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 19:31

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 19:31
Hi Peter,
We have had our Trayon for just over 4 years and wouldn't swap it for the world. We have been all over the Victorian Alps - including in and out of the Caledonian Valley, the Kimberleys, the Gulf and other places too numerous to mention. Corrugations are a real pain, but we have never had a problem with the Trayon and it has never let in any dust. As replies have said - if you make sure all is tucked in and all 4 clips are down you will have no worries. My wife is only 5'1" and yes she would have some trouble putting it up and down on her own, but would manage - we have a small step ladder that we store between the tray and the camper and that allows her to reach whatever she has to.
The camper takes about 3 - 5 mins to set up and a little longer to put down. We have never had a wet bed, but it isn't too often that we pack it up wet as we have the fly available through Trayon and use it to keep the canvas dry and also to keep cool in hot weather - reduces the heat by about 7 - 10 degrees.
Good luck and we hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as we do out of ours.
Allan
AnswerID: 281054

Reply By: Member - Fifo - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 22:13

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 22:13
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Crackles, very impressive with the Cruiser on the side and no damage to the Trayon.

Peter
AnswerID: 281097

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 13:34

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 13:34
Peter,

We have some friends with one also, and they've had it for over 12 years, I'd say.

It is on a triton diesel ute, and it handles it no worries. The couple are senior citizens and can handle packing/unpacking easily. Though they had some initial teething problems with 12v, many years ago, they swear by it, and it has been a great advertisement for Trayon.

Only disadvantage would be having to pack up when going anywhere, but as said above, this only takes a few minutes. Because of low profile, it must improve fuel economy, over those other slip-on campers.

Hooroo,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 545526

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 23:16

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 23:16
When the camper is folded out is the bed part supported by poles?

Has one ever collapsed?

How does it deal with getting on the good foot and doing the bad thing?
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 281117

Follow Up By: Dunedigger - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 07:43

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 07:43
Never collapsed on my part. The poles are vertical and the load vertical and while only light could support 100s of Kg. The hinge and the struts also provide support but you are not expected to rely on the struts to carry the weight
FollowupID: 545471

Sponsored Links