Daly Waters to Cape Crawford

Submitted: Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 22:46
ThreadID: 53374 Views:5821 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We'll be leaving Perth early in May travelling with the van up to Darwin then down the Stuart Highway and across to Queensland. Can anyone tell me what is the road like from Daly Waters to Cape Crawford then south to Barkly Homestead? Is it bitumen and if so how wide ( one lane or two lanes)? If the road is okay for a Jayco are there any good camp spots along the way? We've travelled the Stuart Highway before and thought that this might be an interesting alternative instead of just travelling down to Three Ways.

Many thanks

John & Helen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 22:59

Friday, Jan 11, 2008 at 22:59
It is Beef road(strip bitumen) most of the way when I last travelled it, a while ago. There are some rest areas with water tanks along the way. I would not call them good camp spots however. Road Trains ply that road so get out of their way when they bear down on you :-)

Cheers
AnswerID: 281114

Reply By: disco1942 - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 00:38

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 00:38
I have towed a conventional van through there a few years ago. The road from Daly Waters to Cape Crawford was being done up at that time so it should be mostly 2 lane now.

The road south was all 2 lane as I remember it. The only problem with this bit was the vertical wavy surface that slowed us to around 70 km/H for the first 15 0r so km. About the only thing you have to watch is that the Heartbreak Hotel is the only fuel stop between Daly Waters & Barkly Hstd. The last time I wished to travel that road I was travelling with a friend with a sedan without the required endurance.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 281125

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:31

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:31
John & Helen,

We travelled that way in July, 06, though in reverse to the way you are planning.

Had lunch just near Barkly H'stead, then travelled up to Cape Crawford, and camped about 100 km west of Heartbreak Hotel. Stopped at one of these roadside stops (October Creek), tank, shelter etc, and it looked a bit ordinary. Negotiated the "land mines" not far from the shelter, and found a good camp about 150 m back off the highway. Traffic was extremely light, so not disturbing through the night.

Now, as I remeber it, the bitumen is single lane all the way from Bark Hut, to Daly Waters, though there may have been some overtaking lanes scattered over this distance.

As mentioned above, the road surface just south of Heartbreak is very ordinary, but this soon smooths out further south. Some great photo opportunities around here too, so keep the camera handy.

The road to Daly Waters had a lot of wildflowers and trees in flower then, so we didn't make good time, because of photo stops. Were passed by a defence dept std 100series wagon, that left us in its wake, but we caught up to them at Daly Waters, where they were having "refreshments".

There are other camps at Kiana Turnoff, and on Brunette Downs, 271 km &149km north of Bark Hut. Heartbreak has beautiful big lawns for campers etc, so that might be worth a stop, especially for some "refreshments".

As mentioned only fuel available is at Heartbreak, along this route.

Don't let the narrow bitumen dissuade you, it's well worth a look, if only to see the vast Mitchell grass plains through Brunette & Alroy Downs.

Hooroo,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281144

Reply By: Baz & Pud (Tassie) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 14:16

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 14:16
Travelled this road in Sept 06 in the direction you have mentioned with an 18' van and had no problems what so ever. Road from DW to CC was in excellent condition. From CC to BS road ok but does get a bit lumpy in places.
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281192

Reply By: Member - Mary W (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:18

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:18
Hi weskip,
Did this section in Aug 07.To me it was a highlight of the whole trip -ie left 1/2 circle.No wall to wall caravans -just us and our 98 defender with 80's 10' lifted old van.Loved our stop at heartbreak but didn't realize at the time that the "mini bungles' are just about 60 k'sd up towards booorola.I just loved this area and my old van handled it like a breeze-was'nt till we got to camooweal that I saw the results of a schredded tyre on a A van.Acted like a chain saw and cut the whole guts out underneath!.We also had a tyre shred on gulf dev road but not a bit of trouble on old 80's highline.The best part of that trip was the wildlife -numerous pythons on road heaps of eagles and brolgas by the score-just magic!Road is undulating but what's the hurry it's in my opinion one of the nations best drives-just take it easy !,Cheers ,Mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281287

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 00:38

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 00:38
For those travelling the Barkly and Matilda Highways another good alternate route to take that is as interesting as this one is Mt Isa to Winton via Boulia. The traffic is light, a lot of the road is slimline (one lane bitumen) but the verges are good and wide for most of the way - there is a little narrower slimline road through the hills south of Mt Isa but the wife drove this OK (whilst I slept.)

There is some very nice country most of the way into Boulia from Winton - very different from what we have seen elsewhere.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 545664

Sponsored Links