Trailer Shocks

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 15:37
ThreadID: 53396 Views:1874 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just pulled the shocks off the Jayco and I reckon they are RS. They require nearly zero effort to close up and don't pressurize open (although a heap of effort to pull open).

Now had a quick look on the net and can only find a couple of caravan places that sell caravan shocks and they both sell the same 1 type ALKO brand (which is what mine are). I'm looking for something a little more HD but can't find anything.

The travel is 250mm closed and 380mm open (centre to centre). Does anyone know where i might be able to get some?? What brand are others using and what problems ahve people had??

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 15:47

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 15:47
Sounds like they provide plenty of rebound damping and not much compression damping in their current state. Your caravan springs would do all the work on compression and the rebound is heavily damped.

This might be how they are designed for a caravan?

Perhaps a call to Alko would clear up whether they are stuffed or within spec.
AnswerID: 281200

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:01

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:01
mmmm I was thinking the same thing, maybe it is a rebound only set of shocks
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281203

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:26

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:26
I thought that at first as well but couldn't see the point in a shock with zero compression resistance??? Nothing special about the leaf springs so can't really see why the shock wouldn't work in the same way as a vehicle shock.

But yes unless someone else can answer before monday I will ring ALKO and find out.
AnswerID: 281212

Follow Up By: splits - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:36

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:36
Definately ring ALKO. There is almost always more to car/van designs than meets the eye. It is easy enough to fit "heavy duty" shocks but you might end up shaking the van to bits.

Brian
FollowupID: 545560

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:31

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:31
Hughesy,

The people to see in the Hill are in Newton Lane, I am trying desperately to remember their name. I think it begins with H, sorry nothing more is coming to mind.

They are between Creedon St and Harris St. If you turn in from Creedon St they will be on the left about the middle of the block, a couple of big tin sheds on a large block of land that goes through to the Adelaide Rd (Rackow St) with lots of dead trucks and trailers lying around. The "show room" is in the building on the right as you look from the street. They are good people who know their stuff and carry a good range of hardware.

Good luck
Duncs
AnswerID: 281214

Follow Up By: Member - Hughesy (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 20:19

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 20:19
HI Duncs,

Thanks mate, I don't know the place your talking about but I'll go for a drive by tomorrow and have a look (I know my way around town but don't know street names :))

Unfortunately the people that own the Caravan shop are on holidays until the end of the month so I can't go there - is that the place your talking about...opposite the far end of the caravan park on the adelaide road???

Actually no your talking about McCloughlans Engineering...yes all the "dead" machinery in the big yard!!! We use Doug a fair bit for work - so I'll try him on monday.

How's the big smoke treatin' ya mate?? We had another beauty of a dust storm yesterday arvo...got some great video of a 150m high wall of dust engulfing the town.
FollowupID: 545605

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 18:40

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 18:40
G'day Hughesy,

That's the name I could not remember.

I was actually in the Hill last week. I was hoping to have time to contact you but we ended up being fairly busy catching up with old workmates, and friends.

We left the Hill early Friday morning and my mate called me as we were backing into the driveway to tell me about the storm. The pics he sent were pretty impressive. Don't worry about it though, you will learn to live with it.

Duncs
FollowupID: 545766

Sponsored Links