reversing cameras- fitting?? which sort??

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 15:56
ThreadID: 53398 Views:2369 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
hi, i know this subject has been talked about a few times but, we were just about to go out and buy a wireless reversing camera to use when towing the van (17.9 roadstar poptop) but thought about doing a search on here first only to findout that wireless doesn't seem to be the way to go because of interference etc.. so I phone up a store to get a price on a wired kit for her to tell me that if it's for a caravan then we have to have a wireless type or it will blow up when it got wet, I tried telling her about the interference but she said I would have to put up with that or blow up a wired type. forgetting what she said if we ran the wired type how do they connect were the car and van connect? and is the interference that bad with the wireless types. any suggestions on what type, we don't need anything to flash, just that works. thanks from Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:08

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 16:08
Hi Chris,
One of my mates tried the wireless ones on his Van (22ft something)
Has since replaced with 2 wired in, one on the back of the van and one on the truck

He hasn't blown up yet

Rgds
Ian
AnswerID: 281207

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 17:00

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 17:00
Hi gonebush

Do not buy a wireless system you will be unhappy with it. The wired systems can't blow up and what some people don't realize is that you still need to hard wire a wireless system to a 12V source anyway.

Our systems are self contained and get their 12V from the monitor.

Regards

Derek.
AnswerID: 281220

Follow Up By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 18:47

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 18:47
Derek, do you have the system with the monitor that clips on rear vision mirror?
Cheers Ray
FollowupID: 545584

Follow Up By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 18:57

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 18:57
Hi Ray

I have not found one yet that we can give a 12 month warranty one and is also a easy DIY but I will keep looking.

The ones I have seen are prone to distortion and I would prefer a small 3 inch add on screen as apposed to replacing the mirror.

Regards

Derek.
FollowupID: 545585

Follow Up By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 19:07

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 19:07
Thanks Derek
I am in the market for one and it's just that I have a fully enclosed canopy with no windows on the Patrol, and thought I may as well have the monitor on the mirror as it is now useless.
However I will consider the other option.
Does it have a suction cup mount for windscreen, or does it mount on the dash?
Cheers Ray
FollowupID: 545586

Follow Up By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 19:10

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 19:10
Email me for some pictures.

Regards

Derek.
FollowupID: 545587

Follow Up By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 19:18

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 19:18
Done
FollowupID: 545589

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:40

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:40
Poppy,

I'm in the same position, as far as having a solid box on the back etc; internal mirror was useless.

I installed a set-up almost identical to the one shown in Derek's photo (except mine has 2 x infrared cameras, one on the back of the Patrol instead of just the one on the trailer). In my case, I removed the mirror altogether and used the break-away system (for safety), bolting a piece of flat steel, bent to 90o. It hangs down to about as low as the mirror used to hang....the top of the screen is up against the roof lining etc. I didn't bother angling it towards the driver's position....it can be seen equally well by the passenger.

The coiled cord that joins the truck and trailer is excellent quality and has stood the teat of time (and dust/rocks etc).

I wouldn't instal a wireless one if somebody gave it to me for free...

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 545705

Follow Up By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 13:39

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 13:39
Thanks Roachie
Think I will run with the same option as you,
Does the infrared camera give same vision during daylight?
Cheers Ray
FollowupID: 545722

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:45

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:45
G'day Ray, sorry for delay...

Actually, the daytime view is bloody excellent....but the night time view is best decribed as "fair". You'll be able to see headlights approaching (but you can see them better in the exterior mirror/s).

At night they are great for reversing as the reversing lights do the trick and you can see as good as in daylight.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 545938

Follow Up By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:52

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:52
Thanks Bill
Ordered a setup from Derek this morning and I know from previous dealings with him that I will have them here in Townsville tomorrow.
Cheers mate and look forward to meeting you at Innaminca
Ray
FollowupID: 545942

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 18:08

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 18:08
Hi gonebush

Walk away from a business that doesn't know what they are talking about - just how good would they be when you needed advice or after sales support?. The majority of caravans and large motor homes out there on the road have hard wired rear view camera systems.

As you will have read in previous threads, we wired ours while travelling to Tasmania, so had a separate small plug into the back of the tow vehicle. It was a simple set purchased from a DSE or Tandy store. We put electrical tape around it to keep dust out when we plugged in. It took a second to unplug if we unhitched. With a professional job, they MAY do it through the 8 pin plug - not sure but some-one here can put us right on that.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 281235

Reply By: gonebush SA - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 21:31

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 21:31
I don't know if she kept on saying they will blow up because the wireless ones started at $500 and the wired one started at $200 and that was at strathfield so I thought they would be more helpful (usually are) but this girl wouldn't even let me speak just saying the same thing over the top of me so I gave up, sometimes it's easier.
Chris
AnswerID: 281269

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:21

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:21
I have a mirror mounted monitor which uses around two thirds of the available monitor size to give you a good sized picture.

The only disadvantage with this type of monitor, is that it doubles as a "normal" rear vision mirror when the camera/monitor is not in use.
Reflection through the rear window will cause a "washout" effect but can be easily fixed by directing the angle towards the roof and thus eliminating the reflection.

Mine operates automatically when reverse is selected, but can also be turned on full time by a press of a button. (until ignition is turned off)

Most mirror mounted screens I have seen only use a small window at one side of the monitor, whereas the one I bought from Brash Imports has a larger monitor size.

In your case, if the internal mirror cannot be used at all, a mirror mounted monitor may be your best choice as this is where you would normally glance to see behind you and the bigger the monitor, (within reason) the better.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281347

Follow Up By: Member - Gomax (VIC) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:57

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:57
Another satisfied user of Brash's mirror mounted monitor.
Discreet with clear image.
FollowupID: 545882

Sponsored Links