Travel advice, Winton to Alice via Tobemorey.

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 22:33
ThreadID: 53410 Views:4047 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have no knowledge of this area and have very little experience with outback travel.

I have owned and driven Landcruisers since 1975 which gives a hint to my age but doesn't qualify me as an off road expert.

I have however travelled the Stuart Hyw in the early eighties when there was a lot of dirt. Then back in the early seventies from Cairns to Normanton and down to Cloncurry which again was almost all dirt. The rule of thumb then was, check road conditions with the locals, carry supplies (food water etc) and drive to the conditions.

So my question is: Would the road from Winton to Alice be similar to what I have experienced. I have an 80 series Cruiser, even though it's 11 years old I've had it since new and it's still in very good condition. Me on the other hand I'm 62 I would be travelling alone but can still change tyres and cut firewood.

I've travelled a lot by caravan but this time I would like to get off the main highways. Any advise you can offer is very welcome.

Best regards to all, Greg.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 22:49

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 22:49
Greg

Winton to Boulia is bitumen. Boulia to Tobermorey to Alice is good gravel road when it has been graded.

Did the run from Tobermory to Boulia in August 07 and could sit on 100kmh with trailer in tow.

Most of these outback roads vary though. If there has been a bit of trucking over a period of time then bulldust patches and corrugations may be prevalent. If it rains you will slip and slide.

Just take it easy and drive to conditions and take in the vastness of the outback.

Cheers
AnswerID: 281282

Reply By: Footloose - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 22:52

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 22:52
Done it quite a few times. In the dry it's just another long bush track. It has a reputation for eating tyres, so lower them according to what you're carrying, you know the drill. It has rocky sections but not much bulldust. Tobermary station is now closed to travellers, so the next place where you can get fuel AFAIK is Jervois where you can also camp (but don't expect too much in the shop). Stop in at Jemfields, its a pleasant spot to spend a night, before arriving in Alice the next morning.
The 80 series will do it effortlessly as long as it doesn't rain. Try and stay out of that area if it does.
Keep a camera handy for eagles, dingos and suchlike. Also keep a wary eye out for tracks, and kamakazee 4wds travelling at speed, you'll probably meet them on the roadside later.
Get pleanty of sleep before you embark at Boulia..I can recommend the motel there. And fill both tanks at the roadhouse, it's a long way to the next one.
If you take it easy you'll enjoy the drive.
AnswerID: 281283

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 22:55

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 22:55
Oopsies, tracks = trucks. I'd suggest that most of the year it's an 80km/h track although I met one goose who was trying to buy a new tyre, his passenger told me that he'd been sitting on 120km/h !
FollowupID: 545644

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 22:57

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 22:57
Oops Jemfields = Gemtree......lol
FollowupID: 545645

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:01

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:01
Willem, too right ! My verbosity is exceeded only by my stupidity or something like that :)))))))
FollowupID: 545647

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:02

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:02
I knew I should have had that afternoon nap ! LOL
FollowupID: 545648

Reply By: Anthony (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:09

Saturday, Jan 12, 2008 at 23:09
Mid Dec 2007, we traveled from Alice to Boulia along the Plenty and Donohue Hwy. Almost 700kms of dirt. It was hot, over 40C during most of the daylight hours. The Plenty has had a lot of road work done to it and was a good run. The Donohue hwy section was also quite good and not as rough as I was expecting from what I’ve read or had been told.

We towed a Jayco Outback Dove camper behind a 2003 Prado TD. The trip from Gemtree to Boulia took us 10 hours. We had intended to camp just past Tobermorey but the rain clouds were brewing around Queensland and we didn’t want to get caught with rising water before we got through to Winton.

You can get fuel at Jervois but Tobermorey stopped selling fuel on 30 Nov 2007. We used about 95 litres of diesel between Jervois and Boulia and only spotted four other 4wd’s between Gemtree and Jervois and one between Jervois and Boulia.

If you think your 8o series could do the Oodnadatta track then it should be fine for the Boulia to Alice run. Just carry a few more spares and supplies for the trip.

Cheers Anthony
AnswerID: 281286

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 06:31

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 06:31
Greg,

Did it in July 07 and there were some good and some rough sections but the graders were working on it so it seems from the other posts they have done a good job and the road is currently in pretty good nic. Hope it's like this when I do it again this July.
AnswerID: 281305

Sponsored Links