Hi everyone, Just wanting some advice on water

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 09:45
ThreadID: 53418 Views:2472 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
There is a group of us going from Normanton via the Suvannah Way out to Lawn Hill later on this year. We would really Like some advice on how much fresh water we need to take. Each of us has 60litre water tanks, and we are going to take 2 jerry cans of water as well any advice would be really appreciated as we have never done this kind of trip before. On the trip there will be 2 camper trailers and 1 single axel caravan, so any tips on if the caravan could handle that route and what would be best to do as far as keeping out the red dust would be fantastic.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:22

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:22
Unless you want bore water fill all containers , if the need be you can top up from the gregory River near the Pub, nice clean water but I would boil it first.I have used it for coffee,
The dust will be a creamy or grey colour and you won't keep it out,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 281329

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:41

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:41
I'll give a tick for the Gregory River water too. Lived on it for about 2 years.

But don't drink it around Canoe Race weekend, as many people use it as a convenient toilet. Everyone downstream gets crook after that weekend.

Lawn Hill water should be okay too, that's if "they" let you extract it for drinking.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 545706

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy (springsure- Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:24

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:24
Hi great trip,
Don't stay at Lawn Hill, stay in Adel's grove. The facilities are alot better and cleaner. There is a nice restaraunt and a shop with fuel if you need it. The swimming is easier to access as well also has a small pontoon to lay on in the river and inner tubes. Did I mention fishing (didn't catch any though).

I do recommend the canoe up the gorge including dragging it over the middle gorge tufa into the top gorge.
And to get some nice pics do the island stack walk just on dawn.

Watch out for mining road trains and get right off the road and stop you will appreciate the lack of rocks being thrown at you and they will thank you for the courtesy on the UHF and will let you know if any more are comming.

The main hwy in is quite good to the mine but deteriorates quickly after the mine for the last hour. We did it with campers in Sept when roads are usually at their roughest and it was ok if you are sensible.

Regards
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 281358

Reply By: Andrea11 - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:34

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:34
Thanks very much for your views it is really very much appreciated.
AnswerID: 281389

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 16:08

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 16:08
Andrea 11, have a look at member Tour Boy's rig photo above and you will understand how difficult it is to keep the dust out.All part of the fun:-))
FollowupID: 545743

Follow Up By: Andrea11 - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 18:13

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 18:13
It looks like I will be needing loads of duct tape, to cover the vents around the pop top, and bottom of the door. I will also need a good broome.......

Thanx Andrea
FollowupID: 545755

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy (springsure- Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 13:25

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 13:25
That pic was taken on the Burke developmental rd between Normanton and Dunbar in Sept 07
Regards
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 545868

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 18:17

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 18:17
100 litres of water per vehicle is good. Top up with clean water whenever you can.

I have seen people make a snorkle up to fit on to a camper trailer to pressurise the interior to keep the dust out.

I think that your ordinary caravan might take a hammering out there as the corrugations can be bad!!!

Cheers
AnswerID: 281422

Reply By: B1(Qld)er.(Formerly Zukscoote - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 20:17

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 20:17
Andrea,i was out at Lawn Hill the week before last & there was only a couple of us campers out there.The showers & toilets were very clean,the water is pumped from the creek & treated but not for drinking,there is a water tank on the ladies block that had water for drinking & tasted pretty good too imho.The road in was pretty good from Gregory Downs until you passed the exit to the mine from there on it was very ordinary in sections the first dip i came to had 500mm of water running across it.I was driving a 6mtr so the going into Lawn Hill was fairly slow,there was also water on the rd in various places &there were 4by track ruts at most of these so i had to skirt most of the ruts.How much water you need i think it depends on how long you intend on being in there for & use it wisely. Enjoy as i did even though not there long enough.
Cheers Bob.
AnswerID: 281452

Sponsored Links