Transferring Digital tape to DVD

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:33
ThreadID: 53428 Views:1534 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have 6 hours of Digital video from a 4 month trip we are keen to trasfer onto DVD.
Can anyone advise what software prgramme we need to buy or download off the net to do this? Also what quality of firewire is required?
We are happy to purchase an external hard disk drive due to the large memory requirements and so as to be able to edit.
Any other tips and hints would be gratefully received. Thanks

Ralph C
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:41

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:41
windows movie maker will do the trick just fine
there is no different "quality" of firewire .. only 4 pin or 6 pin

you need a computer with a firewire interface. most laptops have one ..

I use Vegas Video 6 (it is now Sony) for cature and editing and DVD-Architect for burning. But Nero or others will aslo be able to convert mpg to vob and burn a desctop DVD.

I assume you have standard resolution digital video otherwise you would have said HD so the memory requirements for 6 hours isn't that bad. you can capture and burn in stages.

good luck
gmd
AnswerID: 281364

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 13:24

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 13:24
If you can play it in your camera and you also have a 'Video Out' plug(s) on the camera then you can play it into a hard drive dvd player/recorder. I have one of these machines - it replaces the old tape type video recorders. I can record direct onto the hard drive of the machine and then select write to dvd from the television screen menu. No software or computer required.
AnswerID: 281367

Reply By: Angler - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 18:41

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 18:41
I use pinnacle video 9 for all editing, The windows one is not high resolution. I play all tapes through my sony digital camera. I can edit all the original tapes or play anything else like VHS through it and it converts it to digital for editing.
Pinnacle converts directly to mpg so thats another plus.
Six hours of high res (not HD) will take up a fair amount of room on the drive. Work it out by DVD times, ie about 2hours for each 5gig of space on the drive. If you record it to your drive as AVI it would be much much more.

Pooley
bycompass.com
AnswerID: 281428

Reply By: Gob & Denny(hampton park vic) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 21:11

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 21:11
goodday ralph
i gave up on all the computor based crap we have an 80gig dvd recorder i hook the camera to the dvd recorder watch what we have taken as i save it to the recorder go back and edit and then transfer to a dvd we did it with our didital recorder and i find it is just as easy to do it with our 30gig hard drive video camera
i find its the easiest way to edit
jmo

steve
ps i have most of the programs the others are talking about\
AnswerID: 281460

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 23:30

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 23:30
Panasonic DVD recorder is the way. Have the USB connection for mine too as firewire I just don't have!
AnswerID: 281490

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 07:59

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 07:59
Hi Ralph,
I use a firewire cable to transfer digital video to my pc. Then I edit out the bits I don't want using Adobe Premier Pro. It is a professional editing suite, I had tried Movie Maker and WinDVD, but found they had limitations. I can add titles, extra narration, background music and fancy scene transitions, all which make the finished product more watchable.
When the editing thing has finished, i 'author' the DVD with Nero, burn to disk and Voila! Movie finished!
I bought an extra hard drive, 500 gigabyte to cope with the data, and upgraded the memory in my pc to 2gig to run the software.

One of the other replies above mentions using a hard disk drive recorder, I have one of these as well and iis a great option if you don't want to use editing software as such. You can transfer the data onto the HDD and basic on-board editing functions will allow you to cut out the scenes you don't want and create chapters, and basic titles function will let you add comments on screen. A great economical option! Also great for recording tv shows, no more video tape!!!!

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 281502

Reply By: PradoTrev - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:06

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:06
Hi Ralph

I use Ulead Studio 10 before i purchased a legal copy I down loaded the full function 30 day trial version from the WEB site.

Easy to learn and has some great functions in the edition (back ground music, copy the naration to another line and add pics and video.

but you will need a fair slice of disk space to burn 6 hours.

Regards
Trevor
AnswerID: 281515

Sponsored Links