Cobourg Peninsula

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 21:37
ThreadID: 5343 Views:1928 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm heading off to Garig Gunak Barlu NP on Cobourg Peninsula next week.
Can anyone give up to date track details or any other advice?
TIA
Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 10:40

Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 10:40
Great spot to go fishing and also look for the oysters on the rocks, there as big as your palm. Just watch out for the wild life as we had a croc venture up the beach one night.
There is a nice shady camp site with running water (water tank) and showers.

Sorry no track conditions from me as its been a long time since we went there (approx 15 years ago) , have a good trip !

Kev.
AnswerID: 22108

Reply By: Hardy - Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 14:30

Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 14:30
I agree with Kev. Excellent camping and fishing. If your not a fisherman then its not much chop as there is nothing else to do!! The track is a good sized dirt road but it will be very very corrigated if it hasn't been graded in the last month. The only recomendation I can give is to allow for the corrigated road ie sturdy car and boat trailor. Deflate tyres. Take most of your supplies as the shop is very very basic. Ice and fuel are also expensive but not unresonable for the remoteness. A car fridge is a good idea if you intend to bring any fish home. Cheers Hardy
AnswerID: 22119

Reply By: Member - Willem- Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 19:50

Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 19:50
Gurig(Cobourg) is a top spot. Check out my website www.kempen.id.au Go to 4x4 and then click on Cobourg Peninsula. It has been a while ago since I was there but I doubt if the tracks have changed much. You don't have to be a fishing person to enjoy the tranquility of the beaches. Used to be lots of juicy oysters on the rocks. Hmmmm ..yes, the crocs are friendly...so take care. Happy travels.

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 22140

Sponsored Links