Vehicle immobiliser.

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 14:15
ThreadID: 53433 Views:3970 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
My daughter just bought a Hyundai Sonata 1994.
She had a friend trying to install a radio/CD in her car. Now the central locking-and vehicle will not start.

After wiring up and with the key turned off, the radio still worked. They then removed the radio, but nothing works now.

Would this be the immobiliser shutting her out or one of it's safety features?

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Barney Rubble - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:04

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:04
Gday mate sometimes its as simple as disconnecting the battery for a bit and it will reset providing the batterys not flat of course
or have a look at where power for the radio has been connected to some dont like power from ignition switch being fiddled with
you said now nothing works do ya have dash lights ect
AnswerID: 281383

Follow Up By: Curious to know - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:14

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:14
Thanks for reply,

There are only 3 lights that come up The OIL light and another 2 next to it. An "I" and a "P" light.

Nothing else works.

I have a Ford and if I disconnect the battery all the computer settings have to be re-set. Will this happen to the Sonata? Will it effect the 'immobiliser' by disconnecting the battery?
FollowupID: 545728

Reply By: donks1 - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:30

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:30
hi there.

not sure about the '94, but the later ones had a problem where the whole electrical system would shut down. you could be driving along and the engine would stop, doors would lock, power windows would stop working....... when i was with a Hyundai dealer, ( and the local RACQ ), we had to rescue quite a few people. problem was a control unit under the radio in the centre console.
Maybe when hooking up the radio they have had a power spike which has shorted out this control unit

goood luck

donks
AnswerID: 281388

Follow Up By: Curious to know - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:43

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:43
Thanks,

After reading your reply, my daughter said that it had cut out after running 'rough'. It also appears to have flattened the battery yet when I connect to the battery charger the charging light comes on for about 3 seconds then it stops charging and clicks off. Connecting to my car, it stays on charging however....

If the control unit is damaged, what do we need to do to replace it? Do we go through the Hyundai Dealer here or can an Auto electrician fix it? Also is it safe to disconnect the battery to re-charge it?

Des.
FollowupID: 545732

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:47

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:47
"It also appears to have flattened the battery yet when I connect to the battery charger the charging light comes on for about 3 seconds then it stops charging and clicks off."

- the Hyundai battery might be stuffed and not accepting charge.
FollowupID: 545733

Follow Up By: donks1 - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:53

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:53
hi again

your local sparky should be able to change it out,but its a genuine part required........ but remember i'm not sure of it being an issue in the '94..... may be worth a call to the dealer first.

donks
FollowupID: 545737

Follow Up By: Curious to know - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:59

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:59
Thanks Donks,

What is your opinion on disconnecting the battery?

I was thinking of disconnecting to see if it will take a charge without any connections to the battery. Will it create any problems?

Des.
FollowupID: 545740

Follow Up By: donks1 - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 16:06

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 16:06
dissconecting should be ok....

certainly won't get any worse than it is now

just be carefull reconnecting

donks
FollowupID: 545742

Follow Up By: Member - Barney Rubble - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 16:16

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 16:16
Gdays just wondering is this the engine ecu your talking about just for future reference cheers barn
FollowupID: 545744

Follow Up By: Curious to know - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 16:46

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 16:46
Donks,
Have disconnected the battery and now it is accepting charge. As I suspected whilst connected it appears the 'immobiliser' is preventing it being charged...

Barney,
Part of it is the 'ecu' ie codes etc but I suspect the immobiliser is playing it's part as well and a flat battery will not help that...

Phil,
Yeah I thought that too. Have checked all the fuses etc. When we went out before, a heap of wires were all twisted together from the radio being disconnected. When we pulled them apart we got 'feedback' through one of the speakers, so it appears it was powered on still, even though the radio itself has been disconnected....

Kids who want to do things 'cheaply' usually end up costing a bundle...

Thanks for all your help folks. We will charge for a couple of hours to see what happens, and return with our eventual solution.

Again, many thanks.

Des.
FollowupID: 545747

Reply By: Member - Barney Rubble - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:37

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:37
Gday mate disconnecting you battery does sort of remove computer codes for the vehicle but will reset themselves automaticly once engine has started this is the same in ya ford except for your radio req a pin code
only rule of thumb is to disconnect negative first and then positive
and reconect with positive first and negative last
also check if head lights work good indicator of battery voltage
not sure why but immobilisers sometimes reset after disconnecting battery
also have a look under dash some have a reset button in the imobiliser wiring loom Cheers
AnswerID: 281391

Follow Up By: Curious to know - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:49

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 15:49
Thanks again,

Headlights don't work and the wipers hardly move so suspect flat battery. See previous follow up..

Des.
FollowupID: 545734

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 16:11

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 16:11
Its worth ruling out the simple things first.

If the radio still works, when the key is turned off, then your daughter's friend has incorrectly wired the radio. The red wire should be connected to "acc" power and the yellow wire connected to full time battery power? I suspect both have been connected directly to battery power, and this has flattened the battery.

Also check all the fuses and fusible links.

To recharge the battery on a simple 4amp charger, would probably require it to be connected overnight.
AnswerID: 281401

Sponsored Links