92 GQ starting problems

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 21:41
ThreadID: 5344 Views:1545 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I own a 92 gq Patrol, today I was working on the car for most of the day with the doors open which left the 2 interior lights on all day. When I tried starting it to put it back in the shed it wouldn't turn over instead it made a grinding noise, after a few attempts it finally started. Was this caused with the battery getting to low and not enough juice to turn the starter motor or could it be something else. Once it had started, it started every other time I tried with no problems.

Thanks

Mark.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric - Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 22:57

Sunday, Jun 08, 2003 at 22:57
Mark.
Your patrol has a clutch in the starter that is designed to protect the starter if you accidentaly engage the starter when the motor is already running. this is called an overun clutch, this clutch relies on centrifical force to make it lock up to crank the motor, when the overun clutch is worn out it becomes sensitive to battery voltage and if it sometimes does not crank this is a warning to get it replaced before it refuses to crank every time. If your battery is more than 2 years old I would change it anyway. Eric.
AnswerID: 22095

Sponsored Links