Arnhem Land to Borroloola

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 19:57
ThreadID: 53453 Views:1875 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking for information from anyone that has, recently, travelled along the track from Nhulunguy to the Gapuwiyak / Central Arnham Road turn off, then down to the Roper Bar and on to Borroloola.
Is it possible to cross the Roper River at Nkugurr
What is the track condition, best time of year and any other relevant info would be appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 21:31

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 21:31
George

A lot of the road you are talking about is private road - no access. You would have to get permission from the various owners. I have not driven the private road.

When do you plan to travel that route. It is closed during the wet.

You cannot cross the Roper River at Ngukurr. To cross the river it is necessary to drive to Roper Bar and cross there. You also have to cross Wilton Crossing. Both get closed during the wet.

A good time to go to Roper Bar is at the end of the wet. Good fishing at that time.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281467

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 21:50

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 21:50
Hi Tjilpi, it will be around mid July, pending on late cyclones. Is it all Aboriginal land or private station holdings
Cheers
FollowupID: 545794

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:27

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:27
George

The private roads are on Arnhem Land Aboriginal Land Trust. It is Aboriginal land. Contact the Northern Land Council and they will be able to advise if and how you can get permission to travel on the road.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 545876

Reply By: Peter 2 - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:16

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:16
Aboriginal land, the only roads that you can travel in Arnhem land are the road to Coburg NP from Cahills Crossing and the road from Gove/Nhulunbuy to just near Mataranka. Both require a permit to travel with strict rules on camping and stopping places.
Permits to travel to Gove used to only be given if actually visiting people living there, not sure now but seem to remember that you could get a permit but had to stay at the motel in Gove for a night or similar till you organised camping permits locally after arrival.
AnswerID: 281505

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:38

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:38
Thanks Peter, I will have to do a bit more checking re permits
Cheers
FollowupID: 545854

Sponsored Links