Stockton Beach Feedback

Update on Fees as at January 2008.
Minimum permit is now 3 days @ $10.00 and 12 months is $30.00
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozboc - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 22:34

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 22:34
Just got back from a weekend up there , some knob jockey decided to drive over my gear ( hat sunnies - clothes - shoes whilst i was swimming ...... if your a member here -- thanks ^^^*hole ....

apart from that - was great - well worth the $30 a year - accommodation in the jayco .... $0... ( already paid for the pass IMO )

Boc

AnswerID: 281485

Follow Up By: Member - Tessa (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:58

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:58
Yes, I don't mind paying the fee. But what do we get for it. The place is completely unsupervised and regularly frequented by morons. I was on the beach last weekend and there were at least 30 vehicles parked between the northern access and the surfing area at Birubi. AND, probably 1000 people on that stretch of beach. The area is clearly signposted as a no-go area for vehicles and the danger to beach goers is immense. But the " that doesn't refer to me" syndrome comes across loud and clear. It seems that for some people as soon as they get on the sand common sense goes out the window. You regularly see vehicles on the hard stuff doing 80-90k's and kids sitting on window sills or in the backs of utes at that speed. I've even seen idiots towing kids on skid boards through the shallow water. And bear in mind ALL of these vehicles are 4WD's.
There, I've had my whinge.

tessa
FollowupID: 545827

Follow Up By: wdric - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:45

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:45
It sure was supervised a couple of weekend ago, they had rangers at either entrance check things and handed out fines for all sorts of things including an annual pass that was one day overdue!

I think given time they will sort it out, but lets not forget they have an uphill battle as there are an awful lot of people pushing the limits of what is considered fair & reasonable behaviour, and they could include your neighbour, your mate, a work college or even your kids.
FollowupID: 545939

Follow Up By: Member - Tessa (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 21:07

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 21:07
wdric
Good to hear that there is some sort of supervision. I live at Port Stephens and am fairly regularly out on the beach. I have never seen a ranger. Maybe change is in the air. Would be nice to see the boys in blue out there with their radar guns as I believe they do on Fraser Island. When you say rangers, were they Council or NPWS, or some other organisation? I understand the beach is now actually aboriginal land, but is supervised on their behalf by NPWS.

tessa
FollowupID: 545947

Follow Up By: wdric - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 21:43

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 21:43
NPWS Rangers there
Also a fisheries officer doing the rounds.

I think the beach has different areas of ownership, between port stephens council, the aboriginals and NPWS

NPWS have been given management responability.

I think you will also find the bikes & buggy are only allowed to be south of lavis lane entry.

Along with the snowy, I believe these are the only two parks where your annual NPWS pass don't work.

http://www.portstephens.org.au/webpages.asp?code=1099&style=False

And a little plug
http://www.oot4wd.com.au/images/Open%20Beach%20Day.jpg
FollowupID: 545961

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 06:24

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 06:24
I was also up there a couple of weekends ago and bought the annual pass. :)

The road in from Lavis Lane has been graded and fencing has been put up to keep vehicles on the track and out of the scrub.
There is now also a separate beach entry track for ATV's.

That's all been done since we did the annual cleanup in October.
FollowupID: 546004

Reply By: redfive - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:48

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:48
Hi

Ive been to Stockton maybe 10 time over the last 6 year have camped there 5 times
Im amazed to the people who speed on the top end of the beach they dont give a stuff about campers and swimmers and how many people dont take there rubbish with them the amount of glass bottles up there is shocking and all they do is put up the price of a pass
how about they use some of that money and pay someone to do some cleaning up and his a idea build a toilet and shower block that would be a good idea

Glenn
AnswerID: 281551

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:30

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:30
There must have been an increase in the price of sand and they are passing it on !!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 545906

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:50

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:50
In reference to your garbage reply( rubbish that is ) - i was chatting to the NWPS guy ,And he told me that they no longer put the large bins at either end of the beach as it was always just filled up with industrial rubbish and old tires. He then also told me that they used to hand out rubbish bags to people on the beach in an attempt to get them to take there rubbish with them , and guess what - they used the bags but just left them on the beach - some even left the empty bags on the beach next to there rubbish ... I am disgusted by this behavior as i am sure many of you are -- I myself actually have one of those really large canvas bags you put over your spare tires on the back of your 4x4 - so if i leave a camp site ( with all my rubbish In the bag ) and i still have space - i then collect other peoples rubbish from where i was camping and also take it with me ..

This is what i show the kids in the hope they will learn and not make the same stupid mistakes we have .....

And another good point --- excessive speed on the beach .... its a 40 k zone --- and i have seen big speeds on the beach .. One dimwad actually Insisted on going between us and the water ( 5 meter or so ) rather than using the upper part of the beach and having at least 50 meters of space ???? i had 2 x 4 year olds with me , but this clown didn't seam to care.

Must admit there are more idiots and inconsiderate people at the anna bay end rather than the Levis lane end , but i guess thats because any pretend 4x4 can get in on anna bay end as the sand is firm ....

Boc

FollowupID: 545926

Reply By: Member - Ben E (NT) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 23:55

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 23:55
Thanks for the heads-up guys. I've finally got some time off, so I'm taking the tribe up to Stockton Beach/Birubi this weekend for the first of what I hope will be many trips around the Hunter area.
I've taken a squiz at the trek notes but if anyone has any tips on what to do or what not to do, it would be much appreciated.
BTW, where are the permits available from?
Regards,
Benno
AnswerID: 281673

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 06:27

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 06:27
Certainly available at the Lavis Lane Servo and I'm pretty sure Birubi CP and the servo at Anna Bay.
FollowupID: 546006

Follow Up By: wdric - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 16:19

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 16:19
There is a list down the bottom for permits here
Port Stephens council Stockton beach page

If you see a heap of 4wd's with ARB or Out Of Town 4WD on them come and say G'day.
read here:
http://www.oot4wd.com.au/images/Open%20Beach%20Day.jpg

I will be in an NM pajero (if it is windy I will be kitesurfing:) )

Ric
PS I assume you know to let your tyres down, around 18psi is a good start (depending on your vehicle & tyres)

FollowupID: 546107

Reply By: Member - Ben E (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 23:05

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 23:05
Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated.
Yeh, definitely we'll say gday if we see you. I had a look at the link and it looks like a great turn-out.
Hopefully see you on the beach!
Benno
PS No probs re the tyre pressure issue but cheers for the heads-up.
AnswerID: 282015

Sponsored Links