Rules for the group

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 22:27
ThreadID: 53457 Views:2792 Replies:9 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Thread 53439 posed an interesting question.

When travelling with others in remote areas over a few weeks, what would your broad expectations of your fellow travellers be ?
I'm assuming that they have different vehicles but camp together.

I'm thinking things like not to be a constant PITA, jump in and help wherever possible, keep that loudenboomer to yourself after say 8pm, or just be aware that you're a member of a group and not an individual ? Don't wave that firearm around in camp?

Please note I'm not specifically asking about commercial tours or tag a longs, although I'd welcome any input from you guys.

All constructive comments and experiences respected :))
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 22:40

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 22:40
>> "Don't wave that fireaem around in camp?" <<

Why not???

Gotta be ready for them there dang nasty critturs what comes crawlin' outa tha faaarwood!!!!

;-)))))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 281486

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 22:45

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 22:45
I'm afraid I'd have to answer the "why not" by doing a Kim LOL
"Because if you do, I'll stick it up your left nostril !)
FollowupID: 545804

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 23:03

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 23:03
Drive carefully so as not to risk damage.
Keep music volume down/off in camp.
Assist with wood collection.
Come to the group fire each day.
Take turn to dig/fill in group toilet.
Respect others beliefs.
Help with repairs & assist with recoveries.
Follow convoy proceedure.
Participate in group activities.
Leave your generator at home ;-)
But most important, be patient.
Cheers Craig.........

AnswerID: 281487

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 07:57

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 07:57
Craig ,

You leave your generator at home but I will take mine .

Maybe you could be a bit more understanding of peoples needs and say " don't annoy others with your generator ".

If they are used with consideration , they are wonderful things .

Willie.

PS . A pet hate of mine is people who go past my camp and cover me with dust .
FollowupID: 545819

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:03

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:03
Agree with Willie about gennie..... I have found that there are always others in the group who willingly take me up on my offer to use some of the juice exerted by said gennie to top up their batteries.

I guess the main thing with our group is that we all have good battery set-ups in the first place and it is usually only if we are camped in the one spot for longer than 3 days (rare) that we need to fire up the gennie anyway. If it is done during daylight hours, is a quiet inverter type and everyone benefits from it, who is gunna complain?

The other importmnt thing is that our group (YP 4WD Club) are all like-minded and enjoy each others company (even Pesty!!!.....well, he's okay in small doses!!! hahaha)
FollowupID: 545821

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:27

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:27
Roachie,

Don't forget the Clubs number one recruit "Lucky" LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 545834

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 23:26

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 23:26
We have an extensive code that we send to all prospective participants before joining. I is all pretty much common sense, no revelations, just that we get them to sign agreement first, something that is harder to do with a casual group.
AnswerID: 281489

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:09

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:09
Footloose,

As a driver for a tag a long company I do my fair share of touring and camping and when I lead a trip it is usually with people that I have not meet before.

People do have standards of camping that don't always please fellow campers.

When driving, slowing down when going pass a camp site or vehicles parked on the side of the road.

If a vehicle has moved over to let the convey pass, the last vehicle in our convey lets that vehicle know that there are no more vehicles to come.

When in camp I do have 2 strict rules.

Leave the radios off. Motors Off, Radio Off
The other is, No rubbish on the fire.
There is nothing worse than sitting by the fire watching the flames and an empty beer can is thrown in.
!MPG:24!

Wayne
AnswerID: 281503

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:20

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:20
Rubbish in the fire is a pet hate
FollowupID: 545831

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:31

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:31
David,

That is why I have this rule. The amount of times that I have had to clean out a fire place full of rubbish just so i can build a fire.

The other thing I was asked last week was why I dig a pit for the fire.
1. It controls the size of the fire. Last week in the Vic High Country it was hot with very little wind, so the fire was not lit until late and was kept small.
2. The dirt that is dug out of the hole is there to put over the fire when it comes time to put it out.
3. I think that it looks better. Just me.

Wayne
FollowupID: 545836

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:11

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:11
Don't be a pita and take every last bit of firewood just for a huge fire when others are needing small amounts for cooking.

Turn down the loud voices at a reasonable hour.
AnswerID: 281504

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:54

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:54
I try to avoid groups but do lead the odd adventure trek every now and then.

Basic principles:

1. Bring along what is set as minimum requirements in fuel and water and tucker(otherwise you have to rely on your travel mates for their support)

2. Make sure that your vehicle is trek worthy

3. Follow in my tracks as this normally lessens punctures

4. Make sure your UHF is working properly

5. Help to collect camp firewood

6. Leave some firewood for the next morning (if you need to sit around the fire till the wee hours... AND don't throw cans into the fire)

7. Observe bush etiquette with toilet habits(ie burn the bloody paper)

8. Generators off at sunset

9. Leave all artefacts where you find them!!!

10. Try get into the spirit of the trek by rising early in the morning and being ready to leave when everyone else is.

A trek with known or unknown participants has to be reasonably flexible so that everyone has a good time. Respect for each other and some commonsense when travelling and camping goes a long way to make it a happy occasion.

Cheers

AnswerID: 281511

Follow Up By: Member - Steve Y (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:57

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:57
I thinks Gennies are a bit of an issue in the bush. I kow they are quiet these days and I suppose I could get over my self to feel Ok about having one run for a few hours in the day. it's just that is not what happenes. Sun set is when I like to be sitting down to the quiet of the bush with a beer, not the hum of a generator. This is only my opinion.and I'mnot trying to affend any one. For those who use them as long as another camper, if we happen to be close by is open to sugestions on the time they shoud run them then it will work. Like if you are next to one and you want a nanna nap does any mind a polite "could I ask you to turn it off for a few hours", how does the users of gens feel about that? are you Ok or will you get all stroppy? Some have in my real life experience and I wish they would be more thoughtfull. Again IMO
FollowupID: 545883

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:25

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:25
Being a shy one, I usually sit back for the first few days to see who is who. The loud ones, the quiet ones, the ones always willing to help, and the ones who just never see anything that needs doing, except thier own needs. The ones who have good yarns that bind the group, and the stirrers (not necesarily the loud ones) who can break the group up.

A few get to know you type activities, although forced at the beginning, does help this process and settle the group down. Found it good if people can meet once or twice before the trip during the planning to get things started.

Takes a few days for cliques to form. Remember that people form into small cliques (2 to 6 people) , and then there will be groups of 10 to 15, made up of a couple or three cliques. Up to 40 is a sub tribe.

A few stressful situations or group activities helps to form them into a sub tribe. Try and keep the common goal at the forefront in such situations. Some times (often) people having a go at other people is just letting stress off. Hard to remember some times and not take it personally.

Like to let the group have days where they can do their own thing as families/couples etc every week or two. When you hit town or a venue like a national park. A few days apart every now and then helps to stop the group venting at each other. Share the discoveries afterwards.
AnswerID: 281520

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:57

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:57
Thanks to all for the input. It seems to boil down to a bit of not so common sense and a respect for others (in the main).
The rubbish in the fire bit is interesting, and I would guess that most of the transgressors think that they are doing something good by "getting rid of the rubbish." I guess that's just lack of experience on their behalf.

I camped near a tour group once, and they were all over 60, and kicked on till the wee hours while my family were trying to sleep after a long hard day. Not fun at the time, but a great story; especially about the bloke who kept singing "I've got a lovel ee bunch of coco nuts" despite what the actual song was supposed to be.
AnswerID: 281536

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:23

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:23
Hey Footy, that group was'nt Oldplodders group of 40 was it ? wow..why would you want to go camping with a group large enough form multiple cliques of 6 ?
One of my pet hates is the bloke who arrives at your camp at a zillion miles an hour, and engulfs the whole camp in dust for the next 10 minutes.
FollowupID: 545887

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:33

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:33
Nope, twas a bus tour up on the Cape. When they "rolled out the barrel" I knew I was beaten, anyone of that vintage knows all the WW1 and WW2 songs!
The lovelee coco nut was 74 years old, and still causing the tour groups (young and good looking) cook to try and ignore the bruising on her derriere that his pinching caused. (try telling a 74yo that its inappropriate, painful and can land him in police custody etc) Had a yarn to her when we saw them again...they'd gone by boat to the actual "Tip". The 74yo was running up the rocky hill while I was taking a blow.
"How does he do it ?" I asked their cook.
"Dunno, but I wish to *od that he wouldn't," she replied !
FollowupID: 545889

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:19

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:19
Snoring is my worry both if I am doing it or if others are doing it

I know that I am prone to a bit of a snore after a hard day, warm fire and a couple of bacradi and Cokes so I usually advise any group I am in that I will set up my camp off to one side because of it.

To date everyone has thanked me for my consideration especially when they hear the reverb and decibels coming from my rooftop tent :-))
FollowupID: 545902

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:38

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:38
I know the problem well :(( My wife rekkons its like a chainsaw, my niece was so impressed she recorded it for me !
FollowupID: 545908

Reply By: Craigjackaroo - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:04

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:04
Rubbish on the fire is one point that I was recently educated by a 4WD club member from SA. They actually throw their used food tins into the fire when emptied. They explained the purpose of this is to burn the remains out of the tins so as not to attract pests through the night. They then remove them before breaking camp and the fire is extinguished so as not to have the smell of decomposing food leak out of their rubbish bags into their vehicles.
The idea has some merit I beleive.
AnswerID: 281607

Follow Up By: Member - Luke (SA) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 23:18

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 23:18
I have heard this also and like the idea.

Another thing I can't understand some others are saying about fires is not throwing anything in it. Fair enough cans, bottle tops and other metallic things that will not disintegrate, but things that will?????

Just my thoughts

Cheers Luke
FollowupID: 545994

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 06:26

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 06:26
Craigjackaroo/ Luke,

It is not a question of burning rubbish, it is more of when you do it.

Last thing of a night when just about everyone has gone to bed rather than a constant pitching of rubbish through out the evening while others are enjoying a meal or just watching the fire.

Wayne
FollowupID: 546005

Sponsored Links