Annexe Floors

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 23:15
ThreadID: 53458 Views:2387 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,
We have had our tru blu camper for a couple of years now. with it came a floor material to lay down in the annexe to slow down the dirt coming into the camper, it is similar to shade cloth. We have found if it is dusty where we camp the dust is straight through. My worry is in the desert sand may do the same, sand is not much fun to sleep with......
What other floor materials have some of you used instead of the shade cloth types to avoid this?
A mate has used something like a waterproof carpet but it tends to be a little heavy.

Thanks in advance,
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 23:50

Sunday, Jan 13, 2008 at 23:50
Avva squizz....

Looky here

Grrr!!!
AnswerID: 281492

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 01:41

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 01:41
G'day Nick,

I think the shade cloth material is as good as anything else.
It does reduce the pick up of sand, etc. from being carried into the camper or tent on one's feet.

You can also buy foam mats or floor tiles that interlock together with holes in them. Kookaburra and Oztrail are two brands available. They are about 600mm x 600mm x 12mm thick and reasonably light weight but still take up room. They are not exactly cheap. The Kookaburra brand sells for around $55 for a pack of 8 and the Oztrail a little cheaper at $20 for a pack of 4.

We use one square for use in the toilet/shower tent.

But for an annexe, I still believe shade cloth is the most practical and affordable material. It shakes clean if dry and rolls up or folds into a compact package.

I use two pieces. One that goes down underneath the camper annexe flooring and a second piece that extends the width and length of the annexe. It is good not only for sand either but limits the creation and spread of mud when the ground becomes wet.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281497

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 07:53

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 07:53
Gday Nick,
I think its a bit hard to beat a sheet of canvas. We have a couple of small sheets we use to stand on next to the truck.
AnswerID: 281500

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:52

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:52
Shade cloth is still the cheapest solution , if in sand be it beach or desert a bottle or 2 of the cheapest "no name brand" talcum powder [baby powder] at the door way of the camper and at the foot of the bed stops all sand , sprinkle powder onto the wet or dry sand on the feet / legs and sand just falls off before getting into bed ,, also works wonders if ants around , just sprinkle around the camper = no ants.
AnswerID: 281510

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:05

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:05
We have the shade cloth too.

Works well at the beach with sand, not much comes through, more comes in on the feet and drops through.

We also have a square of exterior carpet which works OK.
No so good if it gets wet, it holds about 1/2 a tonne of water and takes a while to drain. But if dry, can be easily shaken.
AnswerID: 281514

Reply By:- Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:48

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:48
G'Day Nick,

George Taylor Stores sell the rubber caravan matting on a roll by the metre.

Have a look in comparison. We used some on our outback trip and found it sat on top of the sand nicely and stayed very clean

Regards

Rolande
AnswerID: 281566

Reply By: Des Lexic - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 15:56

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 15:56
G'day young Nick,
We have shade cloth that's sewn into a double layer. Stops a lot of the sand and other crap you don't want inside. mud or fine dust will still get through though.

Cheers
Des
AnswerID: 281577

Reply By: Biglinz - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 21:52

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 21:52
We use an 80% shadecloth and fitted eyelets around the sides to peg it down. Got sick of tripping over it. I also have an old rectangular trampoline mat I found on the side of the road. It is the best by far and cost zilch.
AnswerID: 281653

Sponsored Links