Anyone Stopped overnight at this spot??

Submitted: Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:24
ThreadID: 53469 Views:3509 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking about stopping overnight at the Bernie Christensen Rest Area

See Here....

On the way up to Calliope next Monday (21st Jan) as we don't get the house keys until Tuesday morning. The only feedback is from Wayne B in July and it is only very brief. We will be in 2 vehicles, 1 with a trailer and no kids :)) We are going back to Woolgoolga to pick the kids up after the removalists have been and gone :)

Any info will be appreciated

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:41

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:41
We have stopped Over night there
usually there is a Surviver Rest Stop set up and the Ladies and gents serve nice Coffee and will give you lots of information about the Area. Good spot but stay well back from the main road due to the number of trucks stopping and then getting going again during the night. Why not go and have a look around Seventeen Seventy if you have a spare couple of days.Nice spot with nice beaches.
AnswerID: 281550

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:42

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:42
Trevor,

I will have heaps of time as we will be living in the area :))

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 545881

Reply By: Member - Alan H (Narangba QLD - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 13:21

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 13:21
As Trevor has stated, the camp is fine but the noise is loud LOUD LOUD. Not a restfull sleep.

If you wanted to camp near Calliope.

Turn left off the highway and go through Calliope and then on the outskirts turn left to head down towards Many Peaks Nargoorin etc - about 10 - 20 ks from Calliope there is a rest area on the right which we use for overnight stays when in the area and while on the side of the road it is a lot quieter than the Bruce Highway.

Rest Area 24.139183S 151.195378E
Alan
AnswerID: 281555

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:41

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 14:41
Alan,

That sounds like a better plan, is the turn off on the outskirts the one that goes past the show grounds??

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 545880

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 15:45

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 15:45
Kev,

We have stayed there and my advise is DONT.

As others have stated, very noisy with trucks all night up and down the Bruce Hwy.

We stayed at the showgrounds in Gin Gin. Its just in behind the highway at Gin Gin and very quite. We were lucky enough to get in and out while the onsite caretaker was not there, so don't know what cost is involved, but like most would be minimal.

There is also the caravan park at the dam about 22k north of Gin Gin if you want a site or cabin.

Cheers,

Cruiser

AnswerID: 281575

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 16:14

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 16:14
The show ground is definitely a "free camp" then LOL

I don't think I'll have a problem with driving the 900+ kms but SWMBO hasn't done a lot of long distance stuff by herself so Gin Gin may end up being the overnight stop if not earlier. I'd prefer to arive alive than Dead on time :))

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 545885

Reply By: Member - Alan H (Narangba QLD - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:50

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:50
Kev

The rest area is easy to find. I can't remember where the showgrounds are.

Coming from Bruce Hwy it is about 5km into Calliope. You go straight ahead down some hills onto the flat about 5km out of Calliope on the Monto road then turn left on good road down toward Many peaks (well signposted) and then the rest area is another approx 10 km down the road Good bitumen all the way.

Alan
AnswerID: 281590

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:58

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:58
Alan,

I just got home and checked it with the GPS and it is the Gladstone - Monto road which the show grounds is on. It sounds like it could be worth staying the night there if we make it that far.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 545894

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:44

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:44
Hi Kev.
Haven't stayed at this spot however a good spot is the Lake Monduran Recreation Reserve 22 k north of Gin Gin.
Not far off the Bruce highway & no vehicle noise.
Site 133 in Camps Aust 4.
Regards.
Vince
AnswerID: 281630

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:57

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:57
Vince,

I just looked it up on places as well :))

The more suggestions the better, so at least we have a few options on the way up.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 545945

Sponsored Links