Weird but happy selling experiance

Submitted: Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 16:05
ThreadID: 53476 Views:1990 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Just ordered a new van - keep up with the Joneses - and needed to sell the boat. Put an ad in the Tr. Post Friday and had a call Saturday lunchtime. The bloke asked a few questions and asked me to email him a few pictures. At 9pm on Saturday night he phones and asked if he can come and have a look. He wants to go fishing!!! I live about 100k north of Sydney and so this fellow and a few mates hop in a car and drive up from Sydney. They arrive at 10:45pm and have a look at the boat. I started up the motor for him and he said not to worry about that. Now I am spewing for putting a new battery in the boat that afternoon.

The usual bargaining went on for about 45 minutes - happy with the price he pulls out a wad of notes. Just under 10 grand. Hooks up the boat and with his mates asks for a good place to fish locally. Wanted to go to The Entrance but I advised him that being low tide they might just spend a few hours on a sand bank. Suggested he head back to Sydney and stop off at the Hawkesbury river. And so pulls out the driveway at 00:15am and heads off. My son who is a copper was spending the night with us and we wondered about if that might have been some 'hot' money. But me, I see no evil, speak no evil and hear no evil so was a very happy chappy calling in the bank this morning.
Now I am hanging out till April for the new rig.
Fred
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 16:13

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 16:13
Didnt know banks were open on Sundays.

Seriously, isnt it great when that sort of thing happens. Had a bloke do that to me about 7 years ago, didn't even drive the vehicle, just looked inside and said "I will take it" and whipped out 13K in cash. All this at 4.30PM on a Friday.

Thank God the bank was 5 minutes away.

Cheers,

Cruiser
AnswerID: 281582

Reply By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 16:57

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 16:57
Four and a half years ago had a bloke look at a car I had for sale. He was keen to buy it and just needed to organise the cash. I say, "No problem, but tomorrow is no good, the wife is booked in to hospital to have our first-born induced."

The next day, amid pushing, groaning and vice-like gripping of my hand, the midwife pops her head in and says, "Do you have a car for sale? There's a bloke in the hall who wants to see you."

I don't think Jen noticed that I left the room; the Pethadine had kicked in by then. So I ended up with a healthy boy and cash for my car :-)))

Brian
AnswerID: 281585

Follow Up By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 16:59

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 16:59
Hmmm,
Cooper is six. It must have been six years ago LOL
FollowupID: 545886

Follow Up By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:32

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:32
I was going to ask if you named your son after the car "oh what a feeling". Must have been thinking about the tires.

Mr I.J. Cooper established the Cooper Corporation in 1919

Time flies when you are having fun.

FollowupID: 545888

Follow Up By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:58

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:58
Or thinking about the beer LOL
FollowupID: 545895

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:35

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:35
Brian, I reckon you are a game man for admitting you left the delivery room to attend to the sale!! LOL
We had a work van for sale on E bay about 6 months back. A bloke phoned from Canberra ( We live in Newcastle ) at about 4.00 PM & wanted to know if he could look at it that night, to which we agreed.
He & his partner arrived on our doorstep about 11 PM or so with a bank cheque, took the vehicle without hassling about price. Didn't have time for a cuppa or anything, said he had to be back at work at 6.00 AM next morning. Seemed to easy, but it was priced right so we were happy & so was he.
AnswerID: 281587

Follow Up By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:39

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 17:39
Barry you win!!!!
Canberra to Newcastle is much further than Sydney to Wyong.
Where do you want me to deliver the prize?
FollowupID: 545890

Follow Up By: furph - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:07

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 18:07
We sold our van not so long ago, the couple looked at it, made an acceptable offer and the bank cheque was in our hands less than an hour later.
Took the cheque to the issuing bank only to be told it had to be deposited in our account at our bank.
OK, that done and when asked about clearance was told 5 working days, but the crunch comment was that even though it is a bank cheque it could still be stopped.
Was confirmed by the branch manager, I always believed a bank cheque was a guaranteed payment.
Not so, it seems.
furph

FollowupID: 545899

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:00

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:00
I bought a s/h truck about 18 months ago, from a yard, and the bloke wanted cash or a direct deposit.
A few weeks earlier he had a bloke buy a truck, did paperwork and handed over a bank cheque.
Next day he went and banked it and it bounced.
The bloke had drawn the cheque, went and bought the truck, and on the way outa town called into his bank and told them he had lost it and to cancel it.
Truck yard down $29 grand !
Yep bank cheques not worth the paper there writen on !

Cheers Pesty
FollowupID: 545912

Sponsored Links