4WD tracks Townsville to cooktown

Submitted: Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 08:30
ThreadID: 5348 Views:4852 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

We're planning a trip up to cooktown to do the CREB track along with many other interesting places.

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for 4WD tracks anywhere between Townsville and Cooktown. We're planning a more inland trip rather than the the coast

Any suggestions on tracks or where to start researching would be welcome.

Thanks
Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:09

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:09
Hi Greg,

You should enjoy the CREB track. I did it way back in '88 (geez I'm getting old) and had an a blast even though we got covered in red clay from head to toe and leeches also. In dry conditions the track can be easily traversed in a day but we copped in after several days of heavy rain (in early July) and it was a quagmire. The winches got a good workout and without the use of chains on the wheels I doubt we would have got through. Also had a mini landslide to contend which required quite a bit of effort from everyone in the group with shovels and chainsaws to clear. Took us two full days to get through to Daintree including pushing on until about 11pm the first night.

But despite all this (or perhaps because of it) it was an excellent trip and their wasn't a single person in the group who wouldn't have turned around and done the trip again had time permitted.

Enjoy!

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 22188

Follow Up By: Member - Mal - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 09:44

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 09:44
Thanks Melissa, I'll give it a go.

Mal T.
FollowupID: 14657

Reply By: Guy - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 14:16

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 14:16
Inland from Cooktowm with plenty of challenge is the Laura to Maytown 4WD track.
if you want more action you can explore around that area the many tracks around Maytown and along the Palmer river.
The level of difficulty at some areas is 4/5 (without rain)which is still acceptable.
The CREB track could go 5/5 if it has been raining specially in june July.

A 4WD with high wheel movement is recommended at the begining of the season and some sort of winching equipment is a good idea.
Have fun.
Guy
AnswerID: 22206

Follow Up By: Member - Mal - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 15:59

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 15:59
Guy and others,
Where is the Creb Track?
Thanks,

Mal T.
FollowupID: 14592

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 17:38

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 17:38
Mal,

The CREB track (Cairn Rural Electricity Board) runs through the thick, mountainous rainforest region from near Bloomfield (south of Cooktown) south to Daintree. The most significant landmark along the track is the Roaring Meg Falls. There are numerous abandoned and ongoing tin mines in the region but otherwise the area is pristine.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 14603

Reply By: Mick n Sal - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 23:48

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 23:48
Greg.
Where do I start? I have no idea what you are after, so here are some suggestions in a rough running order. Feel free to shuffle these around. West of Ingham is Wallamin Falls national park ( good campground, great views ). Further up the coast is a little place called Kennedy - if you turn left here you can go and visit Blencoe Falls. ( You can tie Wallamin & Blencoe together via a _VERY_ roundabout western track ) From the Blencoe Falls area you can head North via Culpa Rd through State Forest ( permit req'd ) that goes past Kombaloomba Dam and brings you out at Ravenshoe. Or you could stay out in the dry stuff and go Blencoe Falls - Herbert River - Mt Garnet. From this point it is an absolute rabbit warren of tracks finally bringing you out west of Mareeba where you can continue on towards Cooktown. if you want any more info email me direct.

mickclements@austarnet.com.au
AnswerID: 22271

Sponsored Links