Two More Outback Deaths

Submitted: Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:12
ThreadID: 53485 Views:2265 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just heard on the news a man and women died near Kintore after running out of water.
The man was apparently found near a dry water hole and the woman was found alive but died shortly after being found.
No more details at the moment.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:37

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:37
News article here with some detail Outback Deaths

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 281616

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:56

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 19:56
Sad isnt it.. but what no HF? No Sat Phone? No comms of any form? could have saved a life...

Another copy of the story.

Waterless couple die in desert
January 14, 2008 - 6:13PM

A married couple who died in the Central Australian outback used the last of their water on a leaking car radiator, the sole survivor of the tragedy has told police.

The elderly man was found last night wandering alongside a remote road about 100km from Nyrippi, west of Alice Springs.

A ground search had been mounted to find the man and his two companions after a report was made to police about 9pm (CST) on Sunday that an overdue party was missing after setting off from the Aboriginal community of Kintore.

The man, believed to be aged between 60 and 70, told police that the Pajero station wagon they had been travelling in broke down 116km from Nyirripi two days earlier.

The group then ran out of water after using it to fill up a leaking radiator, he said.

Last night police found the car a few kilometres further along the road but there was no sign of the couple.

Lights and sirens were used to try to attract the missing pair as the search team slowly travelled back to the community, leaving water bottles along the way.

Police said they resumed their search at first light today and eventually came across the 31-year-old woman, barely alive, by the side of the road.

Her tracks led to the body of her 34-year-old husband who had died about 90 metres from a dry waterhole.

The woman was taken to the Nyrippi Health Clinic where she was pronounced dead at 11.30am (CST) today.

Detectives were preparing a report for the coroner and a post mortem examination on the couple will be conducted in Alice Springs tomorrow.

AAP
AnswerID: 281621

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:04

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 20:04
Yeah its sad and amazing that it still happens.
These appear to be members of the local indigenous community who should know better I guess.

I think it was Davoe that posted last year about a WA indigenous painter who died in much the same circumstances.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 545928

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:42

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:42
Loss of life in such circumstances just goes to show how unforgiving and merciless this country can be. Many people, even some locals, have regularly underestimated the ferocity of the sun and temperatures and the risks they take by travelling at the wrong time of the year, often completely unprepared. A timely wake-up call for everyone.
AnswerID: 281717

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 13:39

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 13:39
Yep - its crook alright, and you would do anything to prevent it if you could ...........but the question that always arises "in these cases" is "how well prepared were these seeming 'locals' for this type of journey ?".
At least overseas tourists (and our unsuspecting city types) that sometimes perish out there have unfamiliarity as a partial excuse.
AnswerID: 281757

Sponsored Links