loading maps to a external hard drive

Submitted: Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 22:05
ThreadID: 53493 Views:1620 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
the hard drive on my laptop was getting full so i bought a lacie external drive. how do i load my map cds onto it, then how do i get ozi explorer to find them, in the past i just put in whatever cd it asked for thanks mal b [simple talk please i am a old fart not that swiched on with ozi explorer]
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 22:21

Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 22:21
Your new external drive should add another drive letter to your puter e.g. Drive C is the default, then whatever else you have including your new external.
To get Ozi to use them, go into Ozi configuration, map images and put in your new CD drive number and the path of the maps.

BTW map CD's can be loaded onto the new drive by installing them there . i.e, when they are installed it usually installs to a disk drive and a directory which you can change at time of installation.
AnswerID: 281658

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 00:34

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 00:34
Footloose
Better to insert CD, stop installation , then go to Run/D: And open the CD and copy all files to a folder on the Lacie , open the folder , find the .EXE and install it from the H/D then you won't have to insert the CD everytime you need it.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 545998

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 08:32

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 08:32
Doug, if the maps are installed on the removeable drive, and the program looks to that drive when it wants maps, what's the problem ?
I was trying to not to confuse the poster by getting too in depth, as he requested :)
FollowupID: 546016

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:11

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:11
Footloose
Exactly as I said ...every time you want to use the mapping software tou have to insert the CD . can't you grasp that , I do know how it works. It will be the same if he installs it on the laptop H/D , as I said copy the CD to the h/d and then install the program from that, result is you don't have to insert the CD every time you use it, I did own a copy of Ozi once and that's how it will work, click on the shortcut and a panel will pop up asking to insert the CD ....simple.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 546031

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:22

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:22
Doug, no I can't "grasp that"( how condescending !), despite having spent years programming computers using C+ and VizBasic, and successfully selling one of my programs to a host of educational institutions, and having a copy of Ozi in front of me.

It seems that we aren't speaking the same language.
If the device he wishes to use is seen as a CD drive, then yes.

But if the computer sees it as a HD then it will not ask you to put anything in. It's the same as having your maps on any other drive.

FollowupID: 546034

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:40

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:40
Footloose
No ...I didn;t think you did grasp what I'm saying, If you have been involved in Computer programming then you should know exactly what I'm saying.
There was once a long time ago I bought Ozi and Raster. ( binned it last year) I installed the programm's to my PC, I then removed the CD and put it away, I then clicked the icon and it would not work unless the CD was inserted, So I then deleted the files via control panel, reinserted the CD and when it began to install again I cancelled out, I then opened the CD so I could see the contents, copied the contents to a folder on the h/d,removed the CD , opened the folder, found the exe file and installed the program from there, then when I used the program I no longer had to insert the CD everytime i used the program, Now can you absorb that.I may not be a programmer , I don't make programs, I teach myself by experimenting, the same as I built my own computer in 2001 from all the parts and components from an empty mini-tower casing, ,
As i have stated before, all my comments are from my own experiences and learning, tested and retested , PCs and GPS, not what someone has told me, If I don't know about a product I don't comment.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 546038

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:30

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:30
"If you have been involved in Computer programming then you should know exactly what I'm saying."
I'm afraid that isn't always the case. You can get a programming solution in many ways, some more elequent than others. No two computer programmers will work in the same way. There are too many of them anyway, which is why I havent done it for years:)

It may well be that this particular device is seen as a removeable device by the computer, in which case my advice would be incorrect, but my comments would be true. There again, this might not be the case.

Yes I agree. There are many people on here who know far more about many topics than I, and I usually keep "my gob shut". But that doesn't stop me trying to help out where I think that I can add to the posters solution, the knowledge base, or simply give someone a good giggle. If that's seen as undesireable by the forum then so be it.

In another non computer group that I moderate , a guy corrected someone's post. He was wrong. So why didn't I jump in and correct him ? Because the original poster and the correcting poster were seeing two different pictures and using slightly fuzzy logic. I have too much respect for the members of that forum to engage in an ego war.

So in this forum lets agree to disagree. I'm sure that if we were sitting besides the poster, either of us could sort him out in two seconds flat.
FollowupID: 546061

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 00:05

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 00:05
I would recommend you do something different.

Use the Lacie (removable Drive) to store data, pictures, etc. form your C or D drive if you have one.
After confirming the data has been moved or copied to the Lacie, delete the origional data, thus freeing up space on your normal hard drive partitions(s).

Then you will have the room to load the maps to the default location, making it simple for OziExplorer to locate them.

Otherwise, you will need to configure Ozi to tell it where the maps are located and if they are on a removable drive and that drive isn't connected, Ozi will most likely spit the dummy.

Plain as mud?

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281675

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:48

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:48
Hi Mal,

It may help to list what maps we are talking about as it is possible that there "may" be different procedures dependant upon the CD setup.

Depending on what type of mapsets you have, the following links may be of use (and easy to understand):

- Copying and using the NATMAP images from your Hard Disk
- OziExplorer Australian supplement

Another happy and current, competent user...... ;-)

Hope this helps

Andrew

AnswerID: 281741

Reply By: Kenny Wilson - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 13:57

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 13:57
Hi Mal B ,

I would copy the ".map" and ".jpeg" or what ever else the
images are to a folder called "Map"s onto your external hard drive.

Now go to File > scroll down to Configuration > ( or Press Alt + C key ) then
click on Map Images . on the left hand column you will have
Image File Paths and under that will be path 1 to path 4 , your first path
would most likely have "c:\oziexplorer\maps" and a tick in the box next to it

For you external hard drive I think you'll have to open Path 2 folder and
click on the external drive letter and find the Maps folder then click on that,
next is to tick the box for path 2

You could also tick the boxes on the right hand side "Check Drives"

This should work
AnswerID: 281759

Reply By: Member - Mal B - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 20:14

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 20:14
thanks i did say keep it simple not shore if that worked. my idea was not to have to use any cds have it all loaded on my ext hd.i did the same with my music loaded all the music on ext hd and used the program on my computer tried it with ozi but it did not work thanks mal b
AnswerID: 281829

Follow Up By: Kenny Wilson - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 20:00

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 20:00
Sometimes you have to load a map from the ext hard drive just to make it work.

Try that and see if it works, also tick the load last map in Config
FollowupID: 546443

Reply By: Member - Mal B - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 20:29

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 20:29
thanks kenny still no go wish you lived next door mal b
AnswerID: 281983

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 23:30

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 23:30
Mal,

Sent MM earlier but I think EO is having a few problems. Pretty sure I have the solution for you.

AnswerID: 282020

Sponsored Links