Back from the great aussie trip

Submitted: Monday, Jan 14, 2008 at 22:38
ThreadID: 53495 Views:2317 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I visited this website daily when we were preparing for our 4wd trip around this great country of ours and even asked a few questions along the way. Some details about us: We left from Sydney in August 2005 and went clockwise around. We are both 28 years old now and finally home and adjusting to the real world (work and suburban life) and a new baby boy! That what happens when youre camping and theres no TV!

Our most favourite destination are (in no order) TASMANIA for its pure air and excellent snorkelling, THE KIMBERLEYS for being the kimberleys (no words to describe) and CAPE YORK for its feeling of isolation. We have many many favourite places which we plan to visit again when our little man is a little older and out of nappies!

Our 4WD: 2004 Holden Rodeo crew cab bought new and we added the following for the trip - canopy, BF Muds, snorkel, CB, ARB Bullbar, driving lights, brush bars and side steps. We did not lift it but managed to get thru some hairy situations with careful driving.

We noticed while on the trip there are plenty of young people from overseas travelling around this land but any aussies we met were few and far between. In fact, we still keep in contact with the aussies we met that were around our age and can count them on one hand. What can we do to encourage the youngones to get out there? They are missing out!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: draff - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 07:50

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 07:50
Hairy Wombat,

Sounds like a fantastic trip! We are also in our mid to late 20's and have done numerous shorter trips covering the outback and northern areas of Australia. Like you, we found very few younger Aussies travelling around - however luckily many travellers (regardless of age) were extremely friendly and we often ended up being invited to share a camp fire or a camp site and having a good conversation with people twice our age! Camping and travelling seems to cross all age barriers and attract people with common outlooks on life and we found good company whereever we went.

Good luck adjusting to 'normal' life!!
'Draff & Mrs Draff
AnswerID: 281699

Reply By: Baz & Pud (Tassie) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 08:38

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 08:38
Its was pleasing to see you (in order) had Tassie as your favourite place, it is Gods little acre you know!. We are in our 60s and unfortunately when we were your age we had children and not the money to be able to do what we are doing now, travelling our own little Island down here and also the big one up there, and having a ball in doing so.
We are looking forward to our next trip this year, it cant come quick enough.
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281705

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:07

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:07
Good to see that you had a great trip. I was in my early 40's before I got to do it, and then did it again 5 years later...what a difference. We had difficulty finding travellers with kids. No problems finding oldies (like we are now:)
AnswerID: 281709

Sponsored Links