New Member here, Geetings to All !!

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 14:41
ThreadID: 53515 Views:2931 Replies:13 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
After a year or so as a frequent site visitor, I'm now a brand-new member and looking forward to it !

I'll soon get my rig and other details up to date, but here's a potted summary:

My partner and I are lifelong Wollongong denizens; she's in government, I'm in IT, and we're both occasional professional musicians. During my two score years and ten (in order to potentially increase my age I won't mention hers) many a mile/kilometre have been travelled to numerous places in this great country, up 'til recently in 2WD vehicles, camping in tents. My enjoyment of this has gradually decreased with the increasing numbers of 'soft-roaders' at formerly fairly empty roads and places, so a year ago we bought an (excellent) Adventure traytop camper and a '99 Hilux XtraCab 3L Tdi to put under it, as well as recovery and emergency gear.

The Hilux proved underpowered and thirsty for its load and use, in addition to being too short and tail-heavy for the camper, so we recently traded it for a new Rodeo single cab C/C ute, at a ridiculously low price - way too low to be refused.

The Rodeo has a superb 3L Tdi donk which carries the camper effortlessly at highway speeds, using 10L/100km at full load and only slightly better unladen (~9.3L/100km). Its tray/body/cab dimensions are also much better suited to carrying a big heavy traytop camper - nice even weight distribution and a much lower tray height.

Unsurprisingly though, the Rodeo's 4wd capabilities are not ideal. Other than air bellows to help carry the camper's weight and vehicle-transferable items like seats and an under-bonnet air compressor, we haven't spent any money on modifications yet. Before improving its off-road capability we'll do a few trips to test clearance, traction, and driveability in 4wd conditions, and if it proves capable enough to spend money on improving we'll do the usual permanent changes as we can afford them - better tyres; suspension upgrade/lift; snorkel; bigger fuel tank; diff lockers; bar/winch; chip; lock/water boxes and so on. we wish a new LandCruiser or similar 'serious' 4wd was within our budget, but if we can get this thing set up to be almost as capable it'll be at a price we can cope with (and probably use less fuel).

Getting 'out there' is our greatest pleasure in life, as I imagine it is with lots of you. We hope and look forward to sharing at least some of it with at least some of you in person, and at the very least swap yarns, experiences, and information via this excellent site.

Thanks for having us !

Nic and Michelle
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nic I (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 14:43

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 14:43
Ha ha, carefully spell-checked the post, didn't look at the title - sorry folks !
AnswerID: 281766

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 14:46

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 14:46
Nic/Michelle,

LOL that was some introduction :))) Welcome aboard. The more, the merrier.

AnswerID: 281768

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 14:57

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 14:57
Welcome Nic ,
Hope to meet you soon .
Willie .
AnswerID: 281770

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 16:20

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 16:20
Welcome to the nut house.

Look forward to meeting you, at the National Gathering perhaps??

Cheers Kev and Darkie
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 281783

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 16:50

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 16:50
Welcome aboard the good ship ExOz Nic and Michelle......let's hope she stays afloat through all the ups and downs that life throws at us.......

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 281786

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 20:04

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 20:04
Make sure you get a sticker on ya car so that when im up that way then I can try and keep an eye out for you...not that im up there much!!

Welcome and hope you enjoy!! Hope someone here will be able to answer your questions....but keep an eye out for Qld Kev and Darkie!! Him and I are on war paths for Friday Funnies.....so competition will be good.....although its been a little slim lately its only cos hes in transit!!....na he good bloke!! Few nutters on here but its all good!!

Laura
AnswerID: 281825

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 20:46

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 20:46
Kiwi,

You are the number 1 nutter, owning a Mahindrah ute confirms it LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 546185

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:09

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:09
I reckon your right Kev....after reading what I wrote I think I am a nutter!!LOL!!!!! It maka no sense!!

You back up with the banana benders yet or still waiting????

I notices the name change....not wanting to admit your a qlder hey!!

gonna try and add a photo of you and jonty....see how we go hey!.........

!MPG:36!

Beauty, it worked! Now to just figure out how to add one thats not in my gallery thingy.....

FollowupID: 546280

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:54

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:54
He is just staring in admiration at me. While quietly thinking "Why did Mum and Dad get rid of the Cruiser when Kev has a beauty in Darkie" LOL

I am officially a returned Queenslander as of Monday YIPPEE

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 546293

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 10:02

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 10:02
na na na...look at his face.....he's wanting to know why you didnt buy that fastest 80 series!!!!!

Found a house then???? we still looking for job intamworth...applied for lots just see what happens. found plenty of land/houses out of town right up our alley....job, house then sell this....gotta do it right i spose!

Kiwi
FollowupID: 546317

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:16

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:16
Its easy to add one not in my gallery thingy

see?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 546406

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:40

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:40
Bonz,

She is only female after all LOL

Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 546423

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:44

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:44
you can also do this:

And This

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 546425

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 19:09

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 19:09
Theres only a few things I know Bonz when it comes to computers and getting photos onto Exploroz is not one of them!! if its basic i can do it...if i can figure it out myself, then i can do it!

and yep Kev its cos im a female...at last check!!

watch this:

Site Link

mmmmm..........thats about as good as i get going from someone elses photos....!!LOL!!!

just for my mate kev!!
FollowupID: 546433

Reply By: Member RayJen Paj05 (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 20:22

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 20:22
Always welcome at Mittagong, Nic & Michelle. MM us when you are coming through and call in for a cuppa!

Cheers, RayJen
AnswerID: 281832

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 20:46

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 20:46
Hi Nic & Michelle

Welcome, I know you will have a lot of laughs, never take the
stirring to serious.

Cheers
Daza and the Cook
AnswerID: 281834

Reply By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 21:30

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 21:30
Welcome Nic & Michelle
Even though you come from "cockroach country", you've at least seen the light and joined the "family"
Great intro and we may catch up some day.State of Origin maybe
Go the Maroons LOL
Cheers Ray
AnswerID: 281849

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 21:50

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 21:50
You've been here long enough to know not to listen to Roachie or Willie or Lucy or me.... Great to have another new member, cya around one day Nev and Michelle

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 281852

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:20

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:20
Gee, you had the post above and still couldn't get Nic's name right.

Welcome Nic and Michelle, by the way.
FollowupID: 546283

Follow Up By: Member - Nic I (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:55

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:55
Thank you too, John and Kath. When I saw Bonz's names I thought he was referring to himself and another Michelle ! Sorry Bonz, I'd normally answer to most things, but didn't pick that one up !

Cheers,

Nic and Michelle
FollowupID: 546294

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:39

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:39
Nic, Kath will never read posts here. I started to add the name of my vehicle, previously Moses when there were other people calling themsleves John R or JohnR, including having the (Vic).That was a frustration as others were making statements that were identified by others as mine. Good SWMBO understands with that female name association, as with Kim. Kim is to be towed by Kath. Kim is a Kimberley Karavan.

Bonz mentioned Lucy. Lucy is a Droopy, driven by Ken, who also drives a Jeepney and a Nissan/Datsun too on occasions.

Aren't all these names difficult now? We really don't see many Nevs around here.
FollowupID: 546306

Follow Up By: Member - Nic I (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 10:53

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 10:53
John (R) (but not Kath, she's not a reader), thanks for the illumination, now I'm magnificently confused !

If the volume of posts is relative to naming tendency, should I also expect named fridges as well ?

Perhaps I should either leave out any names, or simply say "Dear Member" - hmmm, that could very easily be taken the wrongest of ways, so maybe "Hey you" ?

Cheers,

Nic, and Michelle (who is not a vehicle, caravan, or fridge - let alone a winch or shackle)
FollowupID: 546326

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:46

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:46
hahaha what a dummy, Sorry Nic!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 546428

Reply By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 21:58

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 21:58
Welcome aboard Nic and Michelle

Hope you get as much information and enjoyment out of this site as i do....

Cheers.......Dave
AnswerID: 281854

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 23:58

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 23:58
What... a post with no negative comments, we can't have that can we???? Don't worry I will not be the first to put one up either LOL!!! I just won't mention the State of origin.

Welcome and enjoy.

Regards, Trevor.
AnswerID: 281870

Reply By: Member - Nic I (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:49

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:49
To everyone who replied to my post: wow, you sure are a nice mob, and I confess to feeling a little overwhelmed by your welcome ! Thanks everyone for your warm greetings and humour. One day in and I'm already glad I became a member - you've made us feel at home already.

- Al/Gramps: yep, I do go on, must be the only one here who does, yes ?

- Wille: thanks we're only an hour or so away - good to know.

- Kev & Darkie: the National Gathering (sounds like an awards night) will hopefully see us meet, and thanks for the invitation

- The inimitable and rather famed Roachie: at last we 'eMeet' ! I reckon I've read at least 3000 of your posts !

- Laura, staunch and singlehanded support bastion of fine Indian machinery

- RayJen: great to have someone close by - thanks for the cuppa invite (we're big tea drinkers, but only ever from pots and leaves)

- Daza and the Cook: don't worry we can take it AND give it !

- Ray/Poppy: sorry, but I have a confession - I was born in Victoria - gasp, shock, I guess that makes me a wetback ! Only lived there for a few years, but enough to be and remain a follower of Australian Football. Rugby ? A place in England initit ?

- Nev & Michelle/Bonz: thanks for the tip, but as it came from you, should I even be listening ?

- Dave/Borgy: thanks, my enjoyment has already gone up a notch reading all your great responses.

- Trevor R: you'll get plenty of positives from me - that's what keeps us all going in the end, eh ?

Cheers,

Nic and Michelle

AnswerID: 281888

Sponsored Links