Which one ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 20:24
ThreadID: 53527 Views:1982 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have been given the opportunity to have a say on my next work 4wd vehicle, and the guidelines are must be 4wd, ute and four doors. Now I have read the fantastic reports from the unbiased magazines but I would like to hear from those that use them every day. I personally prefer diesel but can also be petrol and some reasonable leg and head room so that driving is enjoyable, now over to you. I have left it very open so give me your honest opinions.
Walter MEL
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gob & Denny(hampton park vic) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 20:46

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 20:46
daughter and sil have the new nissan navarra i drove it once pretty impressed with the 6 speed box ,sil is 6`6 and he seems to have enough leg room
swmbo wont let me take 1 for a test drive

steve
AnswerID: 281835

Reply By: Member - Graeme (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 03:08

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 03:08
Last year I put about 10,000 ks on the work Toyota Hilux D4D towing a 2.5 ton tandem trailer and was impressed overall as the motor is economical and powerful. Definitely worth a look.
Graeme
AnswerID: 281874

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:10

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:10
A landcruiser 200 series with a dual cab conversion :-) ?
AnswerID: 281881

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 15:56

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 15:56
A Toyota , Nissan or Mazda for overall reliability, perhaps in that order. I drive a current model Hilux Diesel so perhaps biased opinion however there's no doubting the Hilux has the most room and biggest tray combination by far. The TD engine is ecomomical, reliable and great every day driver.
AnswerID: 281950

Reply By: Member - Linda M (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 21:42

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 21:42
Oh dear..another which one? debate. It comes down to what you need and what suits your purposes. When I was looking last year I got every specification from 3 models I was looking at and compared major features. I had to have a space cab, something that could carry a lot of weight (goodbye Hilux), and have lots of tray size to carry a slide on camper. Four doors is a bit different to my situation but as long as you know what you need, look for those features. Get the specs and find out about head and leg room if that's important to you, because they are all different. Get diesel if you are doing distances. Otherwise if you want easy answers I suggest the current model rodeohiluxnavara ute. Its a beauty!
Good luck; nice to have the choices.
AnswerID: 281998

Reply By: BMKal - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:47

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:47
I'd be looking seriously at the Navara diesel automatic.

Never thought I'd say that, as previous model Navara was a piece of junk - where I was working last year recently got rid of about 30 of them and changed back to Toyota because of the problems we were having and the high maintenance cost.

However, I've got a couple of friends with the new ones and so far very impressed. One of these friends though, has had a lot of problems with the manual - blown a gearbox on one occasion and a clutch and flywheel on another (new flywheel had to come from Japan) - hence the recommendation for auto. Friend with the auto is manager of earthmoving contractor in mining industry, and he uses his to get around some pretty ordinary work sites - he is very happy with it. The friend with the manual is a fitter - the Navara is his private vehicle and is not used on mine sites. He's very fussy and looks after his vehicle well.

Not as impressed with the new Hi-lux, though the new D4D engine is brilliant. I've always had Toyota work vehicles, but at the moment, I'd prefer the Navara if given the choice.

And there's no bias - I'm one of those strange people who owns a Land Rover.

Bset of luck ........... BM
AnswerID: 282031

Sponsored Links