Rudall River Nat. Park

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 22:09
ThreadID: 53531 Views:2051 Replies:5 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip to Rudall River leaving Perth hopefully Middle May. Any experienced travellers tell me if this time of the year is O.K. and if the standard fuel tanks on a 4.2 Turbo Patrol with 2 Jerry cans would be enough. Also of interest would be what to expect in the degree of difficulty in negotiating the route.
Thanks in advance, Tom
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 22:14

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 22:14
Yeah May is OK

Where do you intend to buy your last fuel?

Rudall River is an easy run
AnswerID: 281861

Follow Up By: cruisen tom - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 22:21

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 22:21
probably in Newman as we will leave our van and then return through Nullagine unless there is a better option. Thanks for your interest. That's what makes the Explore Oz so good.
FollowupID: 546223

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 22:39

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 22:39
Yep your fuel capacity should be OK. I guestimated around 750km there and back to Newman and another 100 in the park. Most tracks are easy and not much use of 4x4 mode is necessary. If you do run into difficulty with fuel then you could call in at Cotton Creek(Parngurr). They sell diesel. Last time I heard it was $3 litre.

Go to my website link and click on 4x4 and then scroll to bottom of page and then click on The Big Trip 2005. In there is a short description of Rudall River NP

Cheers
FollowupID: 546229

Follow Up By: cruisen tom - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 23:24

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 23:24
Thanks Willem. Interesting reading some of your experiences. I am looking forward to having a little more time to catch up with some of your other travels. Sometimes it seems like the most dangerous things in the outback trails are the peabrains using them.
rgds. Tom
FollowupID: 546241

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 07:54

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 07:54
In his "experiences" , I hope he mentions in all the staked tyres he gets from roaring through the scrub , his battle tank frozen in second gear.
Willie .
FollowupID: 546271

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 07:59

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 07:59
Now, Now Sir Gnomad...I do recall you following behind in second gear on one occasion. I also came across your tracks once in trackless country....message in a bottle!!!!....hahahahahaha
FollowupID: 546276

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 22:39

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 22:39
Hi Tom,

Recent posts on here (month or so back) say that the western track from the park is difficult and hard to find in spots. I'm toying with the idea of going that way mid year (after you) as my exit route from the desert as I fell in love with the place last year, where I came in from the south for a quick look and exited via Cotton Creek as my entry to the desert. Plus I want to visit Meeting Gorge.

Time of year would be ok - hopefully no late rains. I tend now to keep a fairly open schedule. You never know what's around the corner to change your plans.

Which way will you be coming in- North or south?

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 281863

Follow Up By: cruisen tom - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 23:27

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 23:27
Hi Alan, I'll be coming in off the Talwana Track and exiting north to either Marble Bar or Nullagine depending on fuel.
cheers
Tom
FollowupID: 546242

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:06

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:06
Alan ,

I have travelled out of Rudall on the western track , exiting at Christies Crossing . It is not for the faint hearted . Very rough in places and no sign of any track in other spots - BUT a great bit of country and a real adventure .

From memory , Meeting Gorge is just a creek bed , which the very rough track follows . It is important historically I guess , but underwhelming as a landmark .

Hanging Rock is great , as are a couple of the waterholes .
.......................................................................................

Tom ,

Fuel will not be a problem if you go into Cotton Creek for diesel . Do not try the direct track from Cotton Creek to Rudall without asking the locals if it is passable . I have been through and there was some huge washouts . The next time we tried it , we could not get through at all . Just depends on conditions at the time .

Rudall NP is a great spot spot ,

Willie .
.......................................................................................
FollowupID: 546278

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:32

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:32
Hi Tom,

I noticed you are coming off the Talawanna. Suggest you give the old NE-SW entry track a try - if travelling without trailer. It takes you through fairly easy country - though a bit scratchy. (As are all the tracks to the west of the park and out to Christie Xing.) Very few travellers use the old entry track - probably because so many approach from the CSR or leave for the CSR. Tihs track is much shorter than the corrugated main track. However it might be quite problematic after rain - ie rocky outcrops with much flat land and current track paralleling severe washouts from previous track.

Excellent trip
Chris
FollowupID: 546286

Reply By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:11

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:11
HI Tom

Was in there for more than a month this year in June July. The water at that time was good though I had wished that I had been earlier when I expect the water levels would have been much better. Don't know how seasonal the rain is though.

The river crossings towards Hanging Rock are deep sand and will require 4WD. A couple of very short gully crossings can also be obstacles if you have a heavily loaded tail-dragging beast like mine. There are a couple of long stretches of deep sand on the main N-S track which may demand lower tyre pressures and 4wd - but no challenges.

There are several posts by Willem, Mick and me which are well worth a read to get a feel for the what this park has to offer.

Best regards
Chris
AnswerID: 281883

Reply By: Member - Hurkmagurk (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 12:41

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 12:41
Hi Tom
We did the same route you intend a few years back- I think it was August. We came in on the track that Chris R recommends, and it certainly was scratchy, but a nice sandy track. The entrance off Talawanna was not that easy to find, so co-ordinates would help.
We camped at TJK Pool, and it was already starting to shrink by then. A MUST-see nearby is Desert Queen Baths-not far off the track to Telfer, but a slow crawl all the way.
We went out via Nifty and Woody Woody mines and then on to Carrawine Gorge, and I could not recommend it more highly, as a campsite with the most glorious views. However I did hear that the camp-site got washed away by the Oakover flooding a couple of years ago.
I think we carried two jerrys of fuel (petrol) and that left us a bit short to be able to safely do a trip out West to Hanging Rock.
The only difficulty was shredding a tyre on the Talawanna (stony), but most of the time was rear-wheel drive.
AnswerID: 281915

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 15:48

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 15:48
Yep to all of above.
We left Rudall via Nifty and Woody Woody, nice run thru there, tho at the SE end, we had to cross some salty patch which could have been a bit soft if there had been recent rain.
As well as Carrawine Gorge, suggest Running Waters, upstream from Carrawine on the Oakover river. Limited camping spots, but an absolute delight - cadjeputs right on the water's edge, fed from a hot spring and at about 30deg, crystal clear, catfish in the river.
We were in a 4.2 turbo and used on jerry extra, coming from Newman via Tallawanna track, out to Carrawine, Running Waters and across to Nullagine, where we filled. Wasn't towing anything tho.
A good overnight camping spot at the southern end, if you are running out of daylight is the bore, between Tallawanna Track and Rudall River. Nice and shady, water from bore a bit whitish, but still a nice spot for an overnighter.
Got Ozi tracks and waypoints if you want them.
Gerry
FollowupID: 546362

Follow Up By: Member - Oppikofer L (Int) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 17:42

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 17:42
G'day Gerry,

i know that this discussion has been started by Tom and that you address your offer to supply Ozi Tracks and Way points to him....

but as we plan to visit the Rudall River NP as well end of May/beginning of June we would be actually very interested in this Ozi Tracks and Way points.....
if by any chance you are willing to provide them to us too we would be very happy!

have a nice one - cheers - lukas
FollowupID: 546386

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:45

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:45
Gerry,

Looks like Rudall R area is going to be busy this year. We are olanning to be there July or August this year with one other vehicle. Had friends who were there a couple of years ago and fell in love with the place. Would very much appreciate your Ozi tracks as well, if you are willing to provide them, thanks.
Cheers,
Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 546426

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 22:33

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 22:33
Hi Lukas, Val,
for the waypoints, etc, drop me a line on
gezza90 at amnet dot net dot a u
or message me on the member's link
Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 546483

Reply By: cruisen tom - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 22:15

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 22:15
Gerry,
I would surely appreciate the Ozi tracks and waypoints that you have. Make my life a whole lot easier. Thanks to all who replied with help and information. When I get a time frame and route ready I will post and perhaps we can meet somewhere in the great outdoors.
Regards Tom
AnswerID: 282005

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 22:37

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 22:37
Hi Tom,
as above, drop me a line on
gezza90 at amnet dot net dot a u

cheers,
Gerry
FollowupID: 546484

Sponsored Links