Troopy Rear Seat

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 20:51
ThreadID: 53557 Views:3228 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone.

I'm about to find myself in a situation where I need a bit more seating in my troopy. I've got a three seater and would like to put a back seat in. I've searched the forum and haven't found anything that relates specifically to this issue and have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer. …I'm aware of the issue with the front seat.

Anyway, I've obviously got to source a seat from a wreckers which is probably more difficult than is sounds for a Troopy so my first question is does the rear seat have to be from a 75/78 series or do 80 series cruisers have the same mounting points?

The second question is does the tank have to be removed to fit the rear seat or worse, does the gear box need to come out for this operation as well?

Anyway, I'm interested in anyone's experience regarding this and pointers they may have.

Thanks in advance.

- Manic

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 21:05

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 21:05
Manic,

When I had the 75 Series it had an aftermarket seat in the back. It was supplied and fitted by a Van Extras. They do aftermarket seats for all types of station wagons.

Fitting a seat in the back is not as simple as buying a bench seat and putting it in. ADR s, insurance, engineers certificate and seat belts are a few of the things that have to be dealt with. Also it will change the ADR on the vehicle as it will go from a 3 seat to a 6 seat vehicle. Rego and insurance will be effected.

The seat can be fitted with out the removal of the tank/ gear box.

I also think that you have to be licenced to fit aftermarket seats.

Wayne
AnswerID: 281990

Follow Up By: Manic - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 21:45

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 21:45
G'day Wayne

Ideally I'd like to replace the front passenger seat whilst I'm at it because getting into the back past the existing seat is a pain. This would make the vehicle a 5 seater which I believe simplifies things with the RTA other than the modificaiton itself.

...and the expense of course but the issue I'm dealing with relates to having a vehicle that's ^completely^ impracticle with kids and I'd like to make it an issue that's maybe a bit difficult instead - I drive a Troopy and they're alway difficult veicles but I'm attached to my vehicle and would rather have it modified than get something more practicle and let's face it, who doesn't like tricking-up their vehicle.

I've found the number for Van Extras so I'll give them a call in the morning.

Thanks Wayne!!!

- Manic
FollowupID: 546465

Follow Up By: Members - Bow & Nan - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 21:55

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 21:55
Manic
I have a Troopy rear seat in new condition in the Shed if you are interested
Greg
FollowupID: 546471

Follow Up By: Manic - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 22:15

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 22:15
G'day Greg.

I'm definitely interested but I'm not a member yet so I can't sent you a PM.

...to be honest on the strength of the response to questions I've put on this site since I bought a 4WD several years ago, that and Wayne's earlier post I just bought a membership and wheel cover so the membership is coming soon but as I said, I definitely interested but can’t send you a message.

PS. The image of the RV dragging the van through the bog is absolutely priceless.

- Manic
FollowupID: 546479

Follow Up By: Members - Bow & Nan - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 20:27

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 20:27
Hi Manic
You can contact me at gregrmeredith@hotmail.com

Greg
FollowupID: 546634

Follow Up By: Member - Manic - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 21:16

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 21:16
G'day Greg.

Thanks, I've sent you an email.

- Manic
FollowupID: 546644

Reply By: troopyman - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:55

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:55
An aftremarket bench seat with retractable seat belts and a middle lap belt installed and engineer certified at an aftermarket place will set you back about $2000 . Then all you need is a pair of buckets for the front (PITA) . My kids enter by the front passenger side door and climb in between the two buckets which has about an 8 inch gap i guess . Get height adjustable drivers seat because it is really important . On a low height setting i get a sore back because i am tall and dont have enough leg support . On the higher setting my legs are supported by the seat and i have excellent viewing over the bonnet . P.S. You need to get the front buckets first so they can weld a little lever on the back to slide the seat forward from the back to comply or they cannot comply the bench seat .
AnswerID: 282043

Follow Up By: Member - Manic - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 21:20

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 21:20
G'day Troopyman.

Thanks for the advice. It's knowing information like needing the lever on the front seat now that is going to save some real problems later on and I've got a pretty tired back myself and suffer on long trips so the height adjustable bucket seat is great advice too.

Thanks again Troopyman.

- Manic
FollowupID: 546645

Sponsored Links