Part report on tyres - Kumho KL78, Maxxis 751, Simex roadtrekker.

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 10:49
ThreadID: 53572 Views:8035 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Been running these tyres in 235/85 16 (10 ply LT) on my 96 pajero.
Mainly used on the bitumen, some dirt road, sand and tracks, some paddock and rougher areas. Say 70/20/10 % of the time.

I have 10 rims (nissan 16x6 steel) for the car and the CT - 3 axles.
Swap them around as I need them for trips or running around SE Qld.

Previous tyres used in the last 12 years on this vehicle include Coopers AT, Toyo Opats and Firestone. Seem to average about 50 to 55k each on each brand, except the Firestone which were about 40,000k, but were less than $150.00 ea.

I run the newer tyres on trips (less than 50% worn) and run the older ones out to the wear bars around town.

Starting with the older tyres, going to the newest.

Simex Roadtrekker - bought four in 2005 for $155.00 ea fitted.
Have averaged about 65,000k each.
Have two left with about 2mm to the wear bars.
Harder rubber compound, grip OK on bitumen, but was concerned that the harder rubber would result in poor grip in the wet when low in the tread. It hasn't. Did use them for a trip on dirt and black soil country (had 200mm of rain the previous week to arriving), and for a highway pattern tyre, not bad grip. Would recommend them as an average tyre and the price seals the deal.
Didn't belly out very much when down to 20 psi for sand. Average sand tyre. Tend to give quickly on bitumen when pushed.

Kumho KL78s - bought four in 2006 for $198.00 ea.
Now almost half worn after doing 20,000k, 5mm of tread gone, which is a little dissapointing. But have since discovered that son was doing 4 wheel drifts through roundabouts in the dry when practicing car control for his rallying. Shows they are predictable on break away on bitumen.
Softer rubber compound, hence better grip on wet and dry bitumen, but havn't chipped up on the tracks like the Coopers did.
More open pattern, a little on the agressive end of the AT range. Good grip in the paddock mud for an AT. Did belly well on lower pressure for sand and float better. Noiser tyre at times such as 100k. Do squeal easier than most on the bitumen when pushed.

Maxxis 751s. - two bought for $203.00 each in August 2007 to try out.
Average tyre on dirt and bitumen. Seem to be wearing better than the rest, almost as well as the Simex. Reasonable grip on bitumen and dirt. Definitely get a hum at 100k on some bitumen.
Medium tread pattern for an AT in it's agressiveness. Havn't tried them in sand yet. Still some testing to do.
2mm of wear in 12,000k.

When these Simex go, I will replace with some highway pattern tyre. Not sure which one yet.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Damonw - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 12:39

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 12:39
Great report , Thanks for the info.

Damon
AnswerID: 282063

Sponsored Links