Dunns Swamp to Glen Davis via Glen Alice Trail

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 13:31
ThreadID: 53581 Views:12600 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Staying at the Glen Davis Hotel tomorrow night (birthday treat), but before we arrive we are going to check out Dunn's Swamp (near Rylstone). I then wish to try to get to Glen Davis via the Glen Alice Trail which I discovered on Google Maps last night. Has anybody travelled this route? Is it dirt road/high range fire trail/ low range rock steps? Are there any wife-scaring cliffs/drops close to the road that will result in much swearing/screaming from the navigator's seat? Is it even open these days? I could only find bushwalking/horseriding/mountain-biking references to it on the net so perhaps its closed to traffic?

Cheers and beers
Rich (another year older, still no wiser..)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Richard K (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 14:03

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 14:03
Forgot to add that I will be fully mapped up with topo's before I depart, I wasn't going to rely on a few lines printed out from Google Maps to get me through..

Rich
AnswerID: 282081

Reply By: TimS - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 14:17

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 14:17
Hi Rich,

It's several years since I travelled the Glen Alice trail coming down from the Dunn's Swamp end. It was very picturesque and the descent into the valley was down a steep winding track. At the bottom the we came up against a fence and had to turn around and return the way we came. Due to overnight dew, we had to winch up in one spot.
These days I understand it is blocked off at the start of the track where it leaves the Kandos to Coricugdy road. I drove past the entrance only six months ago but didn't bother to check the gate.
Pity, those tracks out there towards Gosper's Mountain and through to Wirraba used to be good fun...

Tim
AnswerID: 282082

Follow Up By: Member - Richard K (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 14:28

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 14:28
Thanks Tim - sounds like a fun drive, was there much low range stuff? Is Wirraba still accessible? Was reading about it the other week and it sounded like a good trip. My very first 4WD experience was when I was about 8yo and my uncle from Rylstone used to drive me over his property in his old Landy and told me about taking the fire trail across to the Putty Rd.. guess that was before Wollemi Nat Park was in place, hey?

Rich
FollowupID: 546581

Reply By: TimS - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 14:41

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 14:41
Hi Rich,

The climb out from the valley was definitely low range!

There are two tracks across to Putty Road from that area. One leaves the Dunns Swamp Road at the same gate mentioned in the previous email. The Glen Alice trail branches off to the right after a a while, then you drive on towards Gosper's Mountain. Not far from from Gosper's Mtn you turn off to the left and that is the Wirraba Trail AKA the Old Tank Road (due to past use by Singleton army elements I believe). This track was blocked off many years ago now, it was a horror anyway, real vehicle smashing stuff.

The other track is the Hunter Main Range trail. Basically, you follow the Dunn's Swamp road further west, up onto Mt Coricudgy and then across a ridgeline to "Three Ways" and down Putty Road via the Commission Road or Mt Kindarun and Putty. Unfortunately, this track was blocked to traffic at Mt Coricudgy at the western end and at "Three Ways" at the eastern end about 10 years ago.

There is not much left in the way of 4wd access out that way now. Even the track to Coricudgy is currently locked at the base of the climb out of the valley due to logging operations (or was 6 months ago).

Tim
AnswerID: 282084

Follow Up By: Member - Richard K (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 15:25

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 15:25
Thanks again Tim
Gotta love a forum that you can post a pretty obscure question and get a damn good answer within the hour!
Rich
FollowupID: 546588

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 21:10

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 21:10
Yep,
My understanding that all the good tracks are now gated.
Shame it's a lovely area.
AnswerID: 282149

Reply By: Member - Richard K (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 22:21

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 22:21
Spoke to the Glen Davis Hotel and they confirmed that it is closed off to all vehicles - bummer..

Thanks to all for the replies
Rich
AnswerID: 282167

Reply By: Member - Richard K (NSW) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 08:38

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 08:38
Had a look at the area over the weekend, the road were shown as driveable on the topo maps but alas, as suspected, its all closed now. Could only drive along the Dunn's Swamp rd - found the start of the Army Rd (not signposted as such, just a heavily gated track now with Coricudgy State Forest signage) and it looked pretty overgrown, not the good standard of road that the map was indicating. As Tim and Richard W said, the countryside in the area is stunning so its a shame..

Can highly recommend the Glen Davis Hotel (now a B&B) for a stay - fully restored, excellent food, coffee, if owners were any more down to earth, they'd have tree roots instead of legs. Good bush camping nearby along the Capertee trail after a creek crossing.. Dunn's Swamp has to be one of the best camp spots I've seen - not exactly solitude, but the facilities and dam etc more than make up for it.
AnswerID: 282846

Sponsored Links