Troopie Mods for long term remote

Submitted: Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 13:44
ThreadID: 53612 Views:4538 Replies:6 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
HI all

Here are some of the mods done to my 2006 Troopy for long term travel. Photobucket was too slow for my dial-up connection. So I've included photos in 'my rig' section with short labels. Also some of the pics from that travel

We planned to travel solo in remote WA/SA for 12 months or longer and free camp to the extent possible without breaking rules.

We wanted to be clutter free; have all heavy items restrained safely, excellent access to most items, to be able to live outside or in the car conveniently and comfortably, to go where we wanted - within our solo capability.

TRAVEL MODS
.Removed all interior fibre panels. Lined cavities with plastic flute board against the body panels (eg estate agents sales signs)
.Install ARB front diff lock (relied on standard LSD at the back)
Install breather attachments and extension tubes to diffs and transmission
.Install 2nd hand bull bar, IPF lights
.Attach 25mm square wire mesh on centre section of bull bar; cover with metal fly wire
.Install 2x65w BP solar panels on TJM full length roof rack – panels in SS frame locked to rack, hard wired through roof to engine bay
.Install dual battery
.Make and install formal tyre carrier for additional tyre in roof rack
.Install HF radio in side cavity high above wheel arch (see pic of control unit)
.Install Self-tune HF aerial on bull bar (now on hinged bracket to lay flat in town)
.Make and install SS axe-holder behind bull bar (no winch)
.Make and install rear storages - ie full length steel sided ‘tubs’ down each side with a 30cm centre aisle. (see pics) This allowed easy access to any area. (Floor of centre aisle can be raised to support a folding double mattress when needed.) (see pics)
.170cm low profile steel roller drawer on passengers side for tools and recovery. (see pics)
.Make and install two full length (190cm x 15cm) steel shelves above side windows. (see pics)
.Install UHF radio in dash space
.Make and install zipped wardrobe behind driver (1m drop) (see pics)
.Install ARB air pump behind driver. Airhose remained connected and stored in back of seat
.2 tubes installed along floor for UHF and HF whip aerials
.Buy Garmin Etrex Legend GPS with preloaded tracks4aust
.Make and install SS fly screens for sliding windows (see pics)
.Make SS straps and J bolts to secure 100mm pipes to roof rack

Cheers all -

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 14:20

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 14:20
To get PB to uplaod any time this year on dial up either take your pictures at low MP 2 meg or lower
OR
reduce the quality in photoshop or some other way
AnswerID: 282260

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 16:36

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 16:36
Thanks Davoe

I gave it many minutes and it was happy to download two of my 10mp pics but then it spat the dummy ( or was it me? ). Didn't seem to want to play. When i next have the time I'll give it another try - after all, I find that Exploroz downloads run best for me if I compress first.

When finish house selling and buying and moving, I'll see what I can do to get onto broadband. Maybe prob though as my potential new address out from Gloucester is not broadband (I'm told).

Best regards

chris
FollowupID: 546784

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 20:23

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 20:23
More patiant man than me 10 meg takes over 1/2 hour
on dial up PB often spits it after the first download so try them individually rather than a batch
FollowupID: 546840

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 09:40

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 09:40
Yep Davoe
In fact I went back folowing your earlier advice and sent compressed photos which did get eventually get on. But long waits and the pop ups on that site gave me the willies. Yep I know how to stop them ... but didn't like the feel so I cancelled membership.

Cheers and thanks again for your ready help

Chris
FollowupID: 546942

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 14:33

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 14:33
Hi Chris,

Its always interesting to see what can be done with a Troopy. Enjoy your travels.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 282262

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 17:21

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 17:21
HI Val,

I see we have similar ideas re 'a place for everything...' It really makes long term travel so much easier.

I designed the fitout - but it was left to Dianne to stash things before our start. Eventually, even I knew where everything (except the special treats) was kept. (Well actually I did know - but I wasn't allowed to rat around behind the navigators seat.)

I wanted the centre aisle to allow quick shelter and sheltered access to everything.

One real drawback of centre aisle and only 2 seats - we can't take family on even short trips.

Cheers
Chris

FollowupID: 546790

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 08:11

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 08:11
Hi Chris,

You have put a lot of thought into your set-up, and probably had a fair bit of fun and satisfaction along the way. Good idea about sheltered access. I guess we all come up with our own solutions to things, but seeing how others have tackled the same problems is quite inspiring.
Certainly agree about the "place for everything and everything in its place" business, but even so we carry long lists of what we have and where it is!
I have put in a few more photos of our set up - can't let these young Troopies have all the limelight now can we! Our venerable Troopy is still in very good condition, apart from being a bit thirsty (aren't they all) and is getting ready to explore the Kimberleys and Pilbara this year.
Interested to know how you have done your insect screens. We have put in ordinary metal mesh held in with the rubber seal used for domestic fly screens and apart from bowing out a bit has worked very well. Have made removable screens for the front windows by gluing fibreglass mesh onto strips of magnetic sign stuff (that is used to make fridge magnets). Works a treat.
Now for the bigger special treats compartment...

I hope you get as much enjoyment from your Troopy as we have.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 546923

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:16

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:16
HI Val and Others who have asked.

The SS flyscreens are fittted as shown to allow sliding of one window only. This is OK since these sliding windows only ever allow half the width to be open. (There are technical 'issues' to trying to securely screen both window and allow trouble free operation.)

The material is the standard black SS mesh used for home security screen doors and windows (sometimes sold as 'clearview' screens). I got mine as offcuts for $50. It can be cut with snips or guillotine though you will need still to cut good profile of curves.
1. Cut screen approx 4-6mm larger than opening - you will be best judge of that
2. split thin dia plastic tubing to cover the three sides in contact with the window rubbers.
3. drill flat SS strap (mine was 2mm x 10mm) x height of opening) and drill mesh for 2 pop rivets.
4. bend as little as possible to insert screen and force hard into position. (I had to trial fit this a couple of times)
5. apply very thin bead of appropriate clear silicone sealer between edge of screen and edge of glass (to stop the rattles)
6. Pop rivet
7. One more very thin run of sealer along the very fine gap between SS and glass.

Stand back and admire.

Mine have been through really sustained scrapes through dense scrub without failure or need for any attention. Since they are permanent, you'll need to pressure wash them occasionally to get the accumulated dust out.

Cheers

Chris

FollowupID: 546952

Reply By: Member - Graham K (NSW) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 15:54

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 15:54
Congratulations Chris I have looked at your My rig photos and you have put a lot of thought into the mods. If ever you decide to sell it just let me know first!!
By the way where abouts in NSW are you? I'd love to have a closer look sometime. I am in Canowindra.
Regards
Graham
AnswerID: 282268

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 16:22

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 16:22
This month Jervis Bay. Expect to be living in near Gloucester by end March. Canowindra still a bit distant. But who knows?

Best regardss
Chris
FollowupID: 546782

Reply By: RovingOz (QLD) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 19:43

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 19:43
Chris
Very nice setup - how did you fit the insect screens?

John
AnswerID: 282348

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:17

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:17
HI John
See my reply above

Cheers
Chris
FollowupID: 546953

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 21:59

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 21:59
Looks good Chris

But One question where did you get the "SS insect screens" from?

Cheers
Richard
AnswerID: 282387

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 03:19

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 03:19
Yeah Chris ....

I'm into them screens, too !
Would love to get your specci's on them ........
FollowupID: 546914

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:19

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:19
Hi Richard and Pedro

See my reply to earlier question on this - a bit of effort and trial - but they work well

Best regards

Chris
FollowupID: 546954

Reply By: Oznuggets - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:57

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:57
Hi Chris,
I think I'm the guy who sold you the TJM rack. You have done a great job with your mods, much more professional than my cheap plastic boxes! I am tracking down a water and extra fuel tank at the moment to free up a lot of room inside instead of carrying heaps of containers. I like your portable wardrobe, I'll have to get something like that to better utilise available space. What is with the idea of lining inside the panels, did you do it to reduce noise?
All the best,
Peter
AnswerID: 282468

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 12:40

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 12:40
Hi Peter

Really glad to hear from you!! Roof rack is doing well - now has a few more scratches and holes.

Yep I gave thought to the lone ranger fuel tank and under floor water tanks but time and costs eventually got the better of me.

The wardrobe is simply a hanger bolted onto the shelf and a zipped light material attached to enclose it. Works well with standard wire hangers and holds a lot. Good shoes in the bottom.

The lining was to guard the inside of the body panels against excessive rubbing or denting from hard items. But it also has second use: if you fold the bottom and sides of the flute board into a rudimentary box shape, you won't lose small stuff in the deeper recesses. As things have turned out, we only store soft/light stuff against the panels - but I'd still keep the lining. Discovered I could also keep any nice stones etc in these cavities without looking for yet another place.
My shower hose/pump etc is stored in the cavity behind the rear blue water tank in my rig pics.

PS the BP panels have done really great job bolted permanently to the roof rack - though they only need to run the fridge. Thanks for all your early advice on solar and your experiences

Chris
FollowupID: 547001

Follow Up By: Oznuggets - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 20:24

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 20:24
Glad everything is working out for you Chris, it sure is good to have a place for everything. Thats what I am working on at the moment, finding a place for those few items that seem to end up here, there and everywhere during a trip but never find a proper place to live. A wardrobe setup like yours will free up enough space for me to have an empty box for misc items in the back.
Enjoy your next adventure!
Peter
FollowupID: 547087

Sponsored Links