Buying a Camper Trailer

Submitted: Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 14:41
ThreadID: 53613 Views:3349 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I am looking for a trailer & really want one with independent suspension but do not have the budget for it. Is I.S that much better. I am a keen 4x4er & am looking at doing the Cape & The Simpson. I am also looking at a '3 Dogs' - any feed back on them?

Cheers

Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 15:51

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 15:51
I took my O'Briens with leaf springs over a fair bit of rough country up around the Kimberlys. It seemed to travel OK. Met one bloke with his independent suspension hanging off.

I reckon as long as what you buy is good quality it will go wherever you are game to take it. Just don't overload and don't go at it like a bull at a gate.
AnswerID: 282267

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 16:11

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 16:11
Maybe if you gave an idea of your 'comfortable budget', it would help with getting advise, also if you are looking at new or used.
Quite often with a lot of things, it pays to buy a better quality item second hand, rather than make do with an inferior product, just because you want say it was "new".

If you are looking at spending around $10 - 12,000, maybe look at a Track Eagle, arguably the best offroad camper trailer ever built, as far as chassis, suspension & storage are concerned. But you will have to without a few "bells & whistles" like space hungry slide out kitchens etc, but you will rest easy towing it over any terrain, knowing that it will follow you home.

Yes, I do own one, but only after wishing for & subsequently buying a brand new, well known brand of camper trailer that was so badly built & finished that I just couldn't own it, let alone use it. So after litigation I ripped up a couple of grand, licked my wounds & bought the Track Eagle, furthermore, we couldn't be happier!
AnswerID: 282271

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 17:09

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 17:09
Hi Jason,

Independent suspensionis generally better as it gives a smoother ride with its longer travel, but a well built solid axle system will out-perform a poorly built independent system anyday.

Main thing to look for with a solid axle is eye to eye leafs and good shocks, this will still give you a reasonable ride and travel, but be as strong as the proverbial outhouse - and that is a big concern when doing the remote trips.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 282292

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 07:12

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 07:12
Aussie made Trak Shak, are the go ,,,

From what I have been told, the Chinese made ones do not cut it !

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 282415

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 09:46

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 09:46
Trak Shak was certainly near the top our list too, as we didn't need 2 double beds we overlooked it. Big feature was the Jerry can carrying capacity, 12 I think.
FollowupID: 546943

Sponsored Links