Tyres and Rims

Submitted: Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 19:53
ThreadID: 5363 Views:1653 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All, I am trying to get some feedback in regard to Simex Extreme Trekker Centipedes and also split rims not necessarily together. Could anyone running the Simex please advise how they rate on road as I know they are good in the mud. I currently have BFG's AT 33" x 10.5 and want to get a more aggressive tyre without going to 12.5" width. The split rim question has probably been asked on numerous occassions but I would like some information from those actually running with split rims.
Thanks and Regards

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 20:59

Monday, Jun 09, 2003 at 20:59
Mark,

What do you want to know about splits?

Bob.

AnswerID: 22152

Follow Up By: enzo - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 00:56

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 00:56
Hi

Although new to this forum I'd also like to learn about splits. I'm planning a trans - african expedition in 04 / 05 and so bought 5 old splits off ebay. Now I am having big problems opening them and I think they've rusted up inside - do you have any advice as to how to get the old tyres off and what I need to do to clean up the splits and make them usable again?

Also, if I wanted to run 265.75R16 BFG ATs on the splits I would have to fit tubes - as I will be using this vehicle for 12 months before I leave how safe is this if I am running at highway speeds (70mph for +/- 5 hours) as I assume any problems would not be so pronounced for just the usual running around town / work etc?

Many thanks

enzo
Bundubasher
FollowupID: 14557

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 10:08

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 10:08
Centipedes are average on the road, crappy in the wet, noisy as hell, and wear fairly quick :( Your better off running 2 sets of tires, and rims.

Theres another tire on the block now, the Interco Trxus(makers of swampers), talking to mate that ran a set up the snow this weekend.. He ran swampers in the past, and loves the Trxus, but they aint cheap.

why dont you want to go wider?
AnswerID: 22183

Reply By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:43

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:43
Bob/Truckster, The split rim question should probably have been more skinny Vs wide. I have noted that quite a few (OK just a few) people are putting on split rims prior to doing a big trip and wondered if it was the steel strenght or just ease of changing tyres (so long as you get the safety bead right). I didn't really want to go wider than 10.5 as the tyres will exceed the guards and I will then have to put on flares to make it legal which is more cost for a good set. The option of running two sets of tyres and rims summer/winter is looking more like option as in WA we have plenty of sand driving in summer and the mud/rocky stuff in winter. Thanks Mark
AnswerID: 22190

Sponsored Links