Surviving in the bush

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:36
ThreadID: 53656 Views:5625 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just how good are YOUR bush survival skills...?

Link
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:56

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:56
Yes it is a tragedy. I hate commenting on these things, but in view of the number of people who perish each year, we should learn from these tragedies. These tragedies highlight that it is difficult to make good decisions under trying circumstances and easy to loo at them from afar and pick the errors.

One bush skill is to not use your water in the radiator if it won't stay in there. 30 litres of water would last 2 people possibly long enough for help to come along.

Walking during the day in that heat with no water could have you dead in less than a half day. Sleeping in any shade you can find near the car could have you last 2 days without any water.

AnswerID: 282467

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:21

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:21
Sad event,
this topic was raised last week and I asked for hints on solar stills, I have since found this link... Solar Still Link

I did not know they specifically say not to use the radiator water in the still, but you can use urine.

I am going to try building one next time I go bush (I'll give the urine a miss though, swmbo says I drink to much p@#s anyway)

Rgds
Ian
AnswerID: 282475

Reply By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:38

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:38
Solar stills taken a lot of work to construct and keep filled with vegetation. Lot's of work = lots of human water loss. Transpiration bags are a better option.

An _excellent_ Australian book on survival:
Australian Bush Survival Skills - Kevin Casey

The US Army Survival Manual
http://rk19-bielefeld-mitte.de/
German site - click on "Survival"

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 282480

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 23:39

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 23:39
Thanks Mike, will look for that one, I have unconfirmed conversations you also need to be careful what vegitation you use in both the Still and bag method, Hope its a bit of knowledge never to be used.

Rgds
ian
FollowupID: 547122

Reply By: Member - Barnesy (SA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 14:18

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 14:18
Very sad. It's easy in hindsight and sitting in front of my computer to criticise. But using the last litres of drinking water to top up a broken radiator? A car is still able to be driven with an empty radiator.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 282494

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 16:48

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 16:48
Gee they were locals werent they? Its a tragedy for sure, they tried their hardest and I reckon it wasnt for themselves but for the old fella that was with them. Heroes indeed.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 282523

Sponsored Links