it's making me lose more hair

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:51
ThreadID: 53659 Views:4197 Replies:6 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
hi all,

Still looking around for a vehicle and have narrowed it down to a few.

Being new to this caper and being mechanically as well as folically challenged I realise that there are heaps of things that I need to ask questions on.

I have looked at a 1992 Toyota diesel Landcruiser and noticed that on the dash there was a diff lock button which had settings for rear wheels and front and rear wheels together. It appeared to be factory fitted but when looking through the car I could not find a compressor.

The guy in the yard wasn't to helpful so once again I am leaving it open to the wisdom of forumites.

Can any one with a 1992 cruiser please advise me if this switch will lock the wheels across the axle or does it act as a centre diff lock? The cruiser hand manual hubs.

It is so different from buying a conventional car because that is usually based on colour interior and motor, whereas buying a fourby as I am finding means the wrong choice can cost you extra heaps of extra $$$ additional accessories.

Once again thanks in advance

baldman
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:10

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:10
I presume it was an 80 series ?? which do have a centre diff lock which sounds like what you have seen on the dash. If it was a sahara yes they had factory diff locks front diff,centre,rear diff. There were three buttons on the dash of the 80 series to control all these. You wont find an air compressor as the front and rear diff locks are vacuum controlled. You wont hear an air compressor like say an arb locker. Some of the grey import models that wernt sold here in australia have alot of this stuff factory fitted. Be wary if its an import insurance,parts etc although most of the grey imports in the way of cruisers that I have seen seem to be 60 series. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 282472

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:14

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:14
Sorry just re read your question, what model is it, DX, GXL, Sahara. Except for the DX there was no manual hubs but I dont recall a DX having centre diff lock button. Unless the previous owner has changed over to manual hubs ?? on GXL Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 282474

Follow Up By: baldman - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:27

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:27
Steve,

It is a GXL.

the diff lock does not have buttons, it is more of a rotating switch that operates from left to right.

Effectivley to engage the lock you push down on the switch and turn to the right. The first setting locks the rear and if you continue turning to the second setting it locks front and rear.

It is listed in the manual as a diff lock and has a warning that by applying the lock your steering capabilities will be affected. It als warns that you should not exceeed 8kmh with the diffs locked.

cheers,

baldman
FollowupID: 546980

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:38

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:38
Maybe they were available as option on the GXL and the vehicle you are looking at was fitted up with them. Be the first 80 series GXL I would have seen with factory diff locks. By the description in the manual that switch is definately for diff locks same as Sahara. And sorry your description of the switch is correct a round dial. The centre diff lock is a push botton switch. Unless its an import sounds like you got lucky. Does it have where it was first registered in the service book/manual. I pretty sure these vehicles were fitted with an extra id plate under the bonnett if its a grey import. They normally have two one when it was built in Japan the other the day it come into Australia. Myabe some one else on here can clarify a bit better for you what to look for as to wether its a grey impor or not. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 546983

Follow Up By: baldman - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:45

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:45
Stephen,

Had a look at the service book and it was first registerd in Aus. and has been a one owner.

By the sounds of it I may have struck it lucky as the vehicle is set up with a dual battery system.

Whilst I was looking underneath it there wasn't to much damage, the vehicle hasn't been lifted and looks like it has been set up for touring. Strangely it does not have a snorkel (am I being fussy now)

Not bad for 10K with only 186k on the clock.

The yard is owned by my uncle's mate.

And yes the deposit is down. Just need SWMBO final approval.

baldman
FollowupID: 546985

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:48

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:48
Turbo or non turbo. If its turbo I might get donw there before your other half and trade the prado LOL. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 546986

Follow Up By: baldman - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:55

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:55
You know being mechanically challenged as I mentioned I didn't check or ask.

I will check it out.

Shows my inexperience as I saw the diff switch and got all excited about that becouse it could save me more $$$.

and the SWMBO has just said yes, so it is off to my mechanic on Monday for a check

baldman

FollowupID: 546990

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:34

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:34
The Toyota factory lockers don't use a compressor.
Based on your decription it sounds if it has factory lockers fitted which is about $2500 option
Best thing you should do, assuming you are in a city, is to first decide what you want Toyota,nissan, etc and then compare apples to apples, make sure you drive a few

Shane
AnswerID: 282477

Follow Up By: baldman - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:52

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:52
Thanks for the info and advice Shane,

I have sent an email to Toyota to get a spec sheet on the system.

I have test driven a lot of vehicles,

Landcruiser, Prado, 4 runner, Surf, Patrol, Pathfinder, Jeep, Discovery, Freelander, Hilux, Rodeo, Range Rovers even a Suzuki.

I reckon I get one chance to get the choice right and the cruiser suits my fishing, camping and four-wheel driving requirements, along with being great for securely lugging my tools around.

cheers,

Baldman
FollowupID: 546987

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 12:08

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 12:08
Hi Baldman
The front and rear diff locks if factory are electric, with as you said has a rotary switch left of the steering collumm .
If it has twin batteries it may be a Jap import ( they are good )
they use 24v to start but run on 12v
You may find on the centre dast above the radio a centre diff lock switch.
Locking hubs were not usual but some trucks did have them so this would mean that it is not constant 4wd
If you can give me the two long numbers on the ID plate I may be able to get the build sheets for you
90 % of Landcruisers in NZ are imports and most of them give a good run
Ray
AnswerID: 282482

Follow Up By: baldman - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 12:30

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 12:30
Ray,

the diff switch is to the left of the steering wheel, and they definately have manual locking hubs.

It is manual and and has the additional stick for selecting H4 and L4.

If everything checks out at the mechanics on Monday and I go ahead with the purchase I will sign up to the forum and post pictures of it.

If my mechanic tells me to keep away from it I will send the dealers details to any one that wants to look at it. His main concern is body fatique and any high cost replacement items.

As mentioned earlier I am getting it for 10K due to mates rates but the sticker price is 12k.

baldman

FollowupID: 546997

Follow Up By: Geepeem - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 19:54

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 19:54
HI Kiwi Ray,

What do you mean the Jap ones start on 24v and then run on 12v? All my bulbs etc etc are 24v. What part is 12v?
More importantly I want to tow a caravan soon that has 12v electric brakes and a 3 way refrigerator that is 12v. What is the cheapest way to get 12v to the caravan?
Any advice would be appreciated,
Cheers,
Glen
FollowupID: 547082

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 12:14

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 12:14
Baldman
There is 3 warning lights on the lower right of the dash 1 orange 2 red
The orange is for the centre lock
The red are for the front and rear locks
These seldom give any trouble
I have run these for years
Do you have a 4wd switch to the right of the steering wheel
long side the mirror switch?
Ray
AnswerID: 282483

Follow Up By: baldman - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 12:23

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 12:23
I am no longer at the yard,

I will check these out on Monday and will reply. From memory, there is no 4wd switch to the right of the steering wheel.
FollowupID: 546994

Reply By: baldman - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 12:42

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 12:42
Just to correct one of my follow ups, I will be joining exploroz regardless.

It did come accross being a bit rude the statement from my follow up.

"If everything checks out at the mechanics on Monday and I go ahead with the purchase I will sign up to the forum and post pictures of it."

thanks to every one who responded with great advice and to those that didn't attempt to turn this into a Toyota vs Nissan argument.

cheers

The Baldman
AnswerID: 282487

Follow Up By: 93 Navara - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 14:14

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 14:14
Baldman,

I've an 1990 model GXL. It'll be the centre diff lock switch and I'm tipping the previous owner had it changed to free wheeling hubs. I'm thinking about the same mod myself. Speak to the car yard about giving him a ring. Good luck,

Ben
FollowupID: 547011

Follow Up By: 93 Navara - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 14:16

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 14:16
Apologies Baldman, just re read the thread, not the centre diff lock that I've seen.
FollowupID: 547012

Follow Up By: baldman - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 19:08

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 19:08
Not to worry Ben,

I need to add computer illiterateas well. Took a great photo of the switch but have no idea how to upload it.

Have checked with the local yota dealeership and one of the older guys confirmed that it is to lock up the diffs by axle.

cheers,

Baldman
FollowupID: 547070

Sponsored Links