Traytop Campers

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 14:13
ThreadID: 53662 Views:4847 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience with any of the following traytop campers?

Innovan

Trayon

Traymate

I'm particularly curious about the Innovan from QLD. Bit exxy but has all the goods.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geepeem - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 14:43

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 14:43
HI Gone Bush,

I haven't had any direct experience yet but like you I am currently researching them. I would be interested in your decision in due course. There are quite a few manufacturers of them in Queensland (where I am).
Have you tried these:

http://www.campertrailer.com.au/other_products/ute-topper/default.php

http://www.butecamper.com.au

http://www.piggybackcampers.com.au

The first one Johnno's seems to be realistically priced. But I agree some seem a little exxy. The piggyback ones look great but set you back quite a lot $$$'s. The Trayon has a good reputation from what I can find as well. Its hard to make a decision without seeing them "in the flesh". I will probably wait until a 4x4 or caravan show later in the year to inspect some first hand.
I would be interested to know your final decision,
Cheers,
Glen

AnswerID: 282500

Reply By: Ady - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 18:48

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 18:48
G'day Gone Bush....
have had a Trayon camper on the back of a Ford F250 for almost 3 years and are very happy with it. May by not the best looking one but very well and solid built. We have taken it into some rough places and nothing has come loose or is out of whack. It will set up in minutes for an overnighter and if its raining you can stay and cook inside. The only thing I had to replace was the leaking tap on the sink which was sent to me free of charge (having been 6 months out of warranty.) I can highly recommend them. (I am not in anyway associated with the manufacterer but they are good people to deal with.
So there you are.......regards
Adrian
AnswerID: 282540

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 23:06

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 23:06
Well for an old crock, like me LOL I think the trayon would be the easiest to enter/exit, and someone can have a nanny nap while someone is at the table playing scrabble!
It would be my pick out of those 3 without seeing the prices.

Cheers Pesty
AnswerID: 282608

Reply By: Lyds- Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 23:16

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 23:16
saw an ozcape the other day. You can leave the camper behind.

Looks like it might be a drag on fuel though.
AnswerID: 282612

Reply By: LCRUZA (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 10:57

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 10:57
We have a Trayon on the back of a modified 80 series. Had it for nearly 3 years and love it, the best thing we ever did. First big trip was the CSR and had nothing go wrong and even now after doing 400Km xcountry in the Tanami Desert last year there have been no faults. Great people to deal with as well.

Ron
AnswerID: 282661

Reply By: In Good Time - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 12:58

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 12:58
Have had Trayon for 2 years on the back of a Toyota 79 series. Enjoy being under canvas not locked in a caravan. Good dust sealing, light weight, does not restrict the vehicle off road.
Highly recommend.

Pete
AnswerID: 282883

Reply By: Member - Magic (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 07:36

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 07:36
Only piece of advice would be to be careful dealing with Innovan - they're manufactured in Melbourne now.

They need to get their production methods refined a bit before they could be a serious market contender.

Bitter experience leads me to say - take care!

AnswerID: 287397

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 11:32

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 11:32
I just noticed the innovan the other day and was quite impressed with the layout etc.have you had some personal experience with the product?
I was leaning more to the trailed version
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 552666

Follow Up By: Member - Magic (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 07:22

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008 at 07:22
We had a trailed version on order for over six months with no sign of a completed product.

Manufacturer kept saying it was still setting procedures in place, as they had just opened the factory in Melbourne.

After alot of thought we cancelled our order on the Friday night, and lo and behold, our finished trailer was at the 4x4 Show in Melbourne the very next day!!!!

Maybe in a couple of years it will be worth a look, but I wouldn't touch it just now. The after sales and servicing issue was also a worry.

FollowupID: 553541

Sponsored Links