all that rain

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 22:07
ThreadID: 53682 Views:2088 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
do those in the know, know with all the rain in the east side and up top of our great country, will it be a good time to go to innamincka and birdsville about early July? or will it not make much difference by then, told it takes several months to filter through.
cheers Shane.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - BIGMARK (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 22:39

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 22:39
My opinion Shane is that you"ll be ok by then.
AnswerID: 282595

Follow Up By: Member - shane (SA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 22:49

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 22:49
sorry for not making my self clear, i meant would it be a better time to go to see some green and some of the lakes and creeks full. or will it all be over by then?
shane
FollowupID: 547116

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 09:37

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 09:37
Shane,

There will be more rain. There will be plenty of water in the Cooper this year, so anytime will be good. We figured we'd head that way in May.

Cheers,
Phil
AnswerID: 282645

Reply By: Bega Photographer - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 10:03

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 10:03
Hey Fellas, great post. There was another a bit like it the other day. Between them, they've got me jumping.

Ya see, I'm planning a trip in March or April. Traveling on my ATV, quadbike. Plan on following Explorer John McDouall Stuart from the southern tip of Lake Torrens to his camp, east of Andamooka town. This will take me more than half the length of Lake Torrens. I'm confident I can do that trip.

If I can plan it to work, I'd like to continue on to Stuart Creek and Lake Eyre South.

It's a long way on a motorbike, on station tracks. Not registered, ya see. I'll have to sneak in as close to Andamooka as I'm game and walk in with my fuel drums and hope I can get a lift back out of town.

Anyway, there seem to be a couple of issues with whether I'll find any water in Lake Eyre South.

1) There's got to be enough water to get as far as Lake Eyre.

2) There's got to be enough water to fill Lake Eyre and flow through the channel to Lake Eyre south.

3) It's got to have time to get there.

Any predictions at this early stage, given that there's been a good bit more flooding since the post the other day.

Thanks,
Laurie.
AnswerID: 282652

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 15:36

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 15:36
I hate to be negative, because I think that it will be a great trip.
However, I suspect that there's more rain on the way, and I'd be surprised if some of it doesn't end up that way.
Obviously you'll be keeping a close eye on the weather, and checking with the landholders etc. It would be a bugga to get stuck without essential supplies.
Good luck :)
FollowupID: 547221

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 18:45

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 18:45
Thanks for the reply, Footloose. We've dropped over the bottom now so I doubt there'll be more responses.

Yes, I have a thorough safety plan and do get my permissions.

Sat phone, GPS, call my coordinates in at 7.00pm each day, paper maps, compas, stack hat.

I've done part of the trip before and have a good relationship with the landholders.

Need to contact South Gap for the bottom of Lake Torrens. Haven't been there before.

On one of my previous trips I tried to go north from Andamooka but BHP wouldn't let me because they were drilling. This time I'll be about 50km east, not so far off the lake, so I expect they'll give permission. I'll also have to deal with the Mulgaria fella. I understand he's a bit tough.

Perhaps my greatest fear, out there alone, is getting stuck with wet weather. I take 15 litres emergency water plus baked beans and flour. I can make a pretty mean loaf of bread in my small camp oven. I survive quite well on 3 litres of water a day.

Last trip, I did over 900km on the bike, on Pernatty, Arcoona, Bosworth and Andamooka stations. Suppose you've got the general idea of the country.

So yes, it will be a great trip. It would be good to see Lake Eyre South with water in.

Thanks,
Laurie.
FollowupID: 547248

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 21:50

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 21:50
Sounds like a great trip :) Yes, know the general area but not as well as the SA boys. I have a mate who takes Quad bike tours to the Cape.
Sounds like a great way to travel.
Let us know how you get on with it.
Cheers
Footy
FollowupID: 547295

Sponsored Links