W A Bound

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 09:01
ThreadID: 53687 Views:2139 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'morning fellow EO Members,

In late May we are departing Gods little acre and heading for Western Oz, our intended trip is via Bordertown, Clare, Port Germein,Ceduna and the Nullarbor to Norseman, then up through Kalgoorlie to Wiluna, Meekatharra, Marble Bar and on to 80 Mile Beach.

The return trip via Karratha, Millstream & Karijini NPs, then out to the coast and down to the bottom and the return home.

We have planed our trip based on spending as much time free camping as possible using CAMPS Australia 4, but we were wondering if any of you in South OZ and WA know of any good safe camp sites that are not shown in the above edition.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Baz and Pud
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jjt98 - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 09:44

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 09:44
G'day,
If your coming back to the coast from Karijini Np (beautiful place), I suggest you call into Coral Bay - not cheap but fantastic place - a little tourist town on the coast of the Ningaloo Reef (the only reef in the southern hemisphere where you can snorkel over coral from the beach). There is free beach camping south of CB towards 'Warra' & north towards Exmouth. Nb: don't plan on spending time at Exmouth, its fairly average (unless your a diver).
Happy traveling
Cheers
Jason
AnswerID: 282646

Reply By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 11:26

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 11:26
G'day Baz & Pud, that's mouth watering stuff awaiting you on your planned trip, which I am sure you will enjoy.
Can you give us any idea of costing to bring a rig across on the ferry. We have been toying with going to Tassie in the not to distant future, and our rig looks to be about the same size overall as yours, but several people we have spoken to say it's too expensive to take the van. Love to hear first hand from someone who's done it.
All the best from Fred & Christine.
AnswerID: 282669

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 11:27

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 11:27
Dunno about that Cascade though mate...:-))
FollowupID: 547177

Reply By: Baz & Pud (Tassie) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 12:12

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 12:12
Fred, I take it from your signature you like a beer, well, as far as i'm concerned you can't beat a Cascade Bitter, but then again i'm home grown.

In relation to costings across the strait (they should be FREE),
but it all depends on your total length, type of accommodation and time of travel, whether in off season/shoulder season etc.

Example, we are leaving here on 28th May (off season) and returning 13th Sept (shoulder season) our total length is just under 13m and the costing is (gulp) $1360.

Accommodation is port hole cabin.

Baz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 282678

Follow Up By: kiwicol - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 19:35

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 19:35
By not getting a cabin and getting the seat fare a lot can be saved, and you dont sleep in the seat you paid for but take the pillow and blanket and use the many lounge seats through out the ship, the signs say not to, but many people do and nobody complains, great trip and i feel reasonably priced. Col
FollowupID: 547258

Follow Up By: Baz & Pud (Tassie) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 21:39

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 21:39
Col

All to true, but at our age, and spending the kids inheritance a bed to us is better than a seat any night.

Baz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 547291

Reply By: Member - Mal W (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 20:55

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 20:55
Hi
We did a roughly similar route last winter, taking 3 months from the east coast, camping out of our Troopy. I could send you our daily trip summary but are you taking the van? If yes, then it probably wouldn't help much.

Mal
AnswerID: 282772

Follow Up By: Baz & Pud (Tassie) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 21:31

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 21:31
Mal

Thanks for the reply, yes, we are taking the van but it all helps, we have planed our trip but since then we have had info from others and have made some changes (although minor) so if you could forward your summary it would be helpful.

Thanks again

Baz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 547289

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 21:04

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 21:04
Baz & Pud,

If you stop in Clare be very careful who might stop you in the street to say hullo.

Port Germain caravan park was nice.

Free camping 100 yards off the road SE of Ceduna was very nice.

On the Nullarbor we used Jillah Rockhole (#7 in Camps 4) 10 km West of Mundrabilla. This was free camping. At first it appeared crowded but we took our van right thru to the back and it was fine.

Fraser Range Caravan park was excellent. Not free but was very good. #25 in Camps 4 is, I'm pretty sure, just a rest area, the park is a little further on.

Balladonia was the worst for everything. Highest fuel cost. Worst place to stay. We drove past thankful to see the back of it. Fuel at Norseman was much cheaper.

cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 282779

Follow Up By: Baz & Pud (Tassie) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 09:21

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 09:21
GB.

Thanks for that , please explain the first line.

Baz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 547357

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 09:39

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 09:39
When we were going east to Melbourne to pick up our Trakmaster we stopped in Clare (minus van of course) and had only just got out of the Cruiser when a bloke came up and said:

"Hi, I'm Pesty". I almost said "yes you are" but there was Pesty. He recognised my plates and vehicle from my Member's Profile.

It was my first of several very pleasant encounters with EO members on our trip.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 547361

Follow Up By: Baz & Pud (Tassie) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 09:45

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 09:45
Thanks for that, may be we will come across each other sometime later in the year.

Baz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 547362

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 02:45

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 02:45
A large portion of the trip you mention is very much camp where you like affair
AnswerID: 282829

Sponsored Links