Landcruiser Park, Mud, Aternators

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 09:17
ThreadID: 5372 Views:1679 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Went to Landcruiser Park on the weekend and had a ball - would recomend it to everyone. We did a bit of mud and water driving and it appears that the mud has got into the alternator. I have a 80 series 1HZ and my mate has a 75 series 1Hz and we both had the same problems. We were told to keep it running and wash it out with water by the bloke at Landcruiser (he was very helpful) and said some come good and some don't. We did this and mine appeared to be coming good but has not, and my mates didn't until the 3rd wash after driving 200kms back to Bne but is now fine. Has this ever happened to anyone and how to fix it? Will it wear the bushes inside? Also where else should I make sure all the mud is out of the vehicle - obviously the radiator was full of mud!! But i'd just like to say it was well wort it. We all had a awesome time!!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 12:48

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 12:48
That also happened to my 80 series a while back, i had to remove the alternator and strip it down to wash all the mud out (red clay mud).
Once out its easy to strip down and i also replaced the brushes while i was there.

I hope it doesn't do that again !..........mayby i should slow down for those mud holes for now on.
AnswerID: 22195

Follow Up By: Justin - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 13:34

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 13:34
Maybe, but it wouldn't be as fun!
FollowupID: 14582

Reply By: chopper - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 16:25

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 16:25
Yep happened to me in the Pig pen once.
AnswerID: 22217

Reply By: Matt M - Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 23:25

Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 23:25
Justin, the mud can accelerate the wear ion the brushes but mostly it sticks the brushes in place and doesnt allow for them to move out under their spring pressure as they do wear. So they work for awhile and then contact ceases and so does the charge!

It can work washing them out but most times they do stay stuck unless you remove and clean, but if you are going to the trouble to remove you might as well replace the brushes!

Its pretty hard to avoid with most Jap 4x4s the alternators are positioned pretty low in the engine bay, prob a good reason fit a blind when possible!!

Sort of puts a dampener on playin in the Pig Pen!!

AnswerID: 22534

Sponsored Links