Exedy H/D or Safari Tuff

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 21:44
ThreadID: 53726 Views:7592 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just about to get the clutch done on the GU Patrol (4.2TD) and am looking at either the H/D or Safari Tuff units from Exedy.

Concerns are pedal pressure and any additional noise, vibrations transferred back through to the gearbox?

Truck is not used for any hard core offroad, but does cop a bit of sand work along with other reasonable 4wding, not to mention use as a daily driver.

price i had received so far has the Safari Tuff only $50 dearer than the H/D

happy to go with H/D if it will result in better all round performance.

thoughts?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Batman69 - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 22:50

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 22:50
Sam,

I recently put and Exedy HD clutch in my BA XR8 (due to an issue with the self adjustment on the pressure plate at only 40K) I found that the pedal effort was lighter than the original equipment, and overall it seems to be a better clutch.

If the clutch has done a heap of k's and is worn out then it will be quite a bit heavier than a new one anyway and you just wont notice it because they become heavier very gradually over time. Therefore even if clamp pressure etc is the same on the new HD clutch it will still seem lighter than the old one.

I am sure no matter what clutch you go for you will be happy.

Steve.
AnswerID: 282812

Reply By: brett patrol - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 08:27

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 08:27
Hi Sam,

I also have a 4.2 GU patrol and replaced the original clutch with a 4 terrain clutch from clutch industries. They are supposed to be a better clutch and slightly stronger.
I have had the new clutch for about 5,000 km's now and the pedal seems to be lighter than the original.
From memory, it was around $50 more than the Safari.

Read the archives, there is alot on clutches in there.

Regards
Brett
AnswerID: 282845

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 08:49

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 08:49
G'day Brett

do you know if the 4Terrain is roughly equal to the Safari Tuff or H/D in terms of clamp load?

Sam.
FollowupID: 547351

Sponsored Links