border track

Is it ok to tow an 4x4 off road camper trailer along the Border Track and what is the best time of year to travel.
Thank you Janet
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 21:54

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 21:54
Fr memory, most of the way would be OK although theres some DEEP holes along that track and a couple of BIG dunes, with chicken tracks so you should be OK.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 282994

Reply By: Trev (SA) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:09

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:09
The Border Track goes for quite a long way and it depends which section you are refering to. The popularly referred to section is from Pinnarroo to Bordertown which incorporates a 1 way section with a couple of reasonably steep dunes.

The main issue is that that section is closed during the fire ban period (don't quote me but I think until April??).

The track gets quite tight in places (scratches) and does have some bog hole / muddy sections if it has been raining. As mentioned most of the bigger dunes have chicken tracks but the last few times I was there they were trying to close them off. Not sure how far this has gone.

Even without a trailer there have been numerous times I have had to reverse back down the dunes for another go and I wouldn't want to try it with a trailer behind. (perhaps you are a backing expert but I'm not).

Some will probably scoff at me but I have been over Big Red and I suggest there is a dune on the Border Track that isn't perhaps as long (and momentum sapping) but is close to as high (ie steeper) and it has a kink in it that isn't a real problem going up but may be a bitch if you are backing a trailer back down!

The sections above Pinnarroo and below Bordertown should cause no problems. Perhaps scratches is all due to being overgrown.

Hope that helps

Trev
AnswerID: 283002

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 23:40

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 23:40
Janet there is no ban on towing trailers on the Border track but it quite difficult at times even when taking the chicken tracks. It would depend mainly on how heavy your trailer is, how much clearance it has & the towing vehicle. It's not the track one would normally do alone when towing.
The track has been improved of late with most of the serious bog holes filled in or detoured. The Park Ranger closes the one way section of track from November Long weekend through to the end of the Fire season. (when ever that finishes?) He then without warning has in the past closed the track because it's too wet as well.
I'd ring SA parks directly to see what the current closure dates & policy are to avoid driving a long way for no result.
As Trev above has said a couple of the dunes have options that are more difficult than the Simpson Desert particually if you stay to the left.
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 283034

Reply By: Member - Fourplayfull - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 22:35

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 22:35
crackles is on the money - I have been involved recently with our club working bees assisting the Rangers to re open the original track & closing off chicken runs which are getting wider every season on the one way section .

Once several vehicles have passed with excessive tyre pressures the divetts cause bouncing making it difficult to maintain even traction to pull a ct over the sand dunes .

We are also monitoring erosion (undercutting etc) with laser levels & photographs at key times in an effort to keep this track open outside fire ban season .

CheersJohn
AnswerID: 283217

Sponsored Links