Where can a dinkum off-road caravans go?

Submitted: Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:04
ThreadID: 53765 Views:7959 Replies:11 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
Been wondering for a while, how far can serious (largish) off-road caravans go in the bush. In April at Dalhousie, we were camped near a Bushtracker being towed by an 80 series. I don't know where it went after that - could have done Rig Road maybe??, but I couldn't see it doing all of the French Line / QAA line etc.

So forumites, where have these types of vans gone. Have they ever done the Canning. How far can you get with these vans.

Cheers JD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric Experience - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:17

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:17
JD
Its all about weight. A heavy tow vehicle and a very light van can go most places. but a van that is the same weight as the tower is as good as a 2 wheel drive. If you want to go bush in comfort you are better of with a small truck with dual wheels on the back and a camping body on the truck, if you have most of the weight on the rear wheels you will do better than a 4x4 with a van. Eric
AnswerID: 283009

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:40

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:40
Eric, I agree with your comments about the weight of the towing vehicle versus the weight of the towed vehicle. I would question the suitability of dual back wheels though. IMHO large singles are less likely to bog. After doing a fair bit of research on vans such as Bushtracker it seems most of them around the 20ft or larger need an F truck or similar for anything other than bitumen or reasonable dirt roads.

Cheers Pop

FollowupID: 547580

Reply By: equinox - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:32

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:32
I've towed a 20 foot commercial dual axle caravan from Ullawarra Station to Glen Florrie Station in the Pilbara following roughly Wannery Creek on a track. I took that thing many places, that being the worst track. I bottomed out the (rear) steps a bit, but no other damage.

I'm surprised more travellers don't pick up these things secondhand.

Cheers

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 283016

Follow Up By: Old Dave - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 01:07

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 01:07
Hi Equinox

You did well in the late 70s early 80s we had to put a grader

from Glen Florrie to Ullawarra every 2 years and it was tough.

dave

FollowupID: 547614

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:31

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:31
A couple of years ago , we were caught on Glen Florrie when they had over an inch of rain in 24 hours . Very interesting drive to the homestead , especially crossing the flooded creek at the HS .
Willie .
FollowupID: 547676

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 20:37

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 20:37
Dave
Did you see the Native Drawings upon the rocks, where the main track crosses the creek from memory.

Willie
I want to see one of the big creeks flowing one day - that would be awesome.

Cheers

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 547778

Follow Up By: Old Dave - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 15:16

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 15:16
Equinox

Did not know or hear about the paintings,

besides it was get in and get out as there was no money

to really do the job,

will look for them when i go back up to have a look around.

dave
FollowupID: 547946

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:40

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:40
JD ,

I have a 16 foot Bushtracker and two things that will bring it undone are :

- Sand
It is just as Eric said

- Tight Tracks
You just can't get it around the twists and turns of a tight rock or tree bound track . It is hard enough with a camper trailer but , next to impossible even with my 16 footer .

But there is plenty of places I have been where I know it would have gone - All through Rudall NP , Gunbarrel Hwy , Gary Junction Rd etc etc .

Willie
AnswerID: 283017

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:50

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 22:50
Willie, how does narrow tracks through trees / scrub affect you. Being high and wide I thought that might even bring these vans undone at times. Would cladding stand up to it? JD
FollowupID: 547585

Reply By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 08:09

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 08:09
I think there is a DVD with a bloke taking a Kedron? van to Cape York?
AnswerID: 283054

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 08:38

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 08:38
Yes I have seen it Bware - my favourite off-road video. But I didn't mention it because they pushed things way beyond where people would go normally (they own Kedron so damaging a van not a such a worry to them either LOL). Reckon its a great advert for Kedron - van put up with a lot. Cheers JD
FollowupID: 547648

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 08:37

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 08:37
People should also consider the extra track damage that can be done by 4wd's pulling campers and off road vans.

I have been stuck on high country tracks behinds people towing off road vans who are ripping up an otherwise easy track to get the van through.

Other friends have had similar experiences on some of the Cape York tracks where the van/camper owner decides to rip up a harder track to prove they could get through, when there was an alternative main road they could have used without causing any track damage.

I have discussed this with Park ranger's at some of the national parks around Australia that have difficult access roads. When asked if people could take campers or off road vans in, the rangers response was that he could not stop them, but strongly prefered they did not go in due to the amount of track damage they caused.

Just something to consider when planning where to take your off road camper or van ....

AnswerID: 283064

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 09:12

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 09:12
JD ,

The problem is that the van does not follow in the wheel tracks of the car , but tries to cut the corner . So on a tight rocky or tree lined track , you carefully steer the car through only to find the van tearing it's sides off on a rock or tree on the inside of the corner .

I took the Bushtracker into West Kunderang on the Macleay River last weekend for the EO Meet . With its high clearance , Landcruiser wheels and upswept tail , it had no trouble with the track in there .

Willie .
AnswerID: 283073

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:07

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:07
You would be taking a wide line on corners now though Willie? Was the track in difficult? Just reading about it I thought it would have been interesting.
FollowupID: 547667

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 15:28

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 15:28
JD,

Willie is spot on with his comments, so the open corrugated outback roads would be taken in a true offroad van's stride. True offroad tracks with washouts creek crossings and tight tree lined tracks will cause damage and may even stop you completely. As said by others, it depends on how much repairing you are prepared to do as to how far up that off the beaten track you go.

Like willie, I took my 16ft Supreme Getaway into West Kunderang on the weekend and also had no drama's. (John, I don't no where the reports of 1st low required come into it but 3rd low was well and truely adequate down and up in my rig with the low transfer gear, Pezza went down and up in 1st high with his camping trailer in tow behind his 2.8 Patrol).

Willie, Good to finally catch up with you on the weekend and I look forward to the next one.

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 547714

Follow Up By: CLC50 - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 15:40

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 15:40
Hi Trevor & Willie
Thanks fior you company on the weekend ,glad to see you made it home,I made home midday Monday the old girl did not miss a beat.

Regards
FollowupID: 547718

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 16:27

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 16:27
Trev , Col ,

Good to finally put some faces to you guys .

Col ,
Beach - last sale $1.15 . I bought some more at 1.20 today . Tricky market though . Use caution or maybe sit on the sidelines for a bit . I guess it al depends on how much risk you are prepared to take on .

Cheers ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 547730

Reply By: molzy - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:02

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:02
we saw a couple of bushtrackers in the kimberly last year cross the king edward river (approx 700mm high and flowing), one being towed by an f250 and the other a new dico. They did it relatively easy but it suprised me that they they were doing it at all but they were well prepared and experienced. I,ll stick with my southern cross tent!
AnswerID: 283084

Follow Up By: Dickie Nee - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 17:58

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 17:58
I was driving the Land Rover when crossing the King Edward.

We later went along the Duncan Hwy and the Savannah Way.

We hope you enjoyed the Mitchell Falls area?
FollowupID: 547978

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:02

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:02
JD I don't disagree with the comments above in general. Towing as I do now, I know I need to not drive as I did with the vehicle alone. I no longer take shorter turns on corners for instance.

Of course I am not towing a 20 footer but a van as long as the tow vehicle itself. The track width is mentioned by Willie too as a potential for problem and is something to consider.

I have had mine into the Victorian High Country on tracks and I am sure that I didn't do any damage that is diffferent to any 4by. Disturbed stones really.

The furtherest I had previously seen off-road vans was in around the Painted Desert and of course everywhere in caravan parks - not off-road!

I have heard of caravans on the Canning, but really I think the owner is testing what others think of the level of responsibility. The Simpson is shorter of course but environmental damage could cause others to think of restricting traffic. What would we all think then?
AnswerID: 283085

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:20

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:20
Everyone seems intent o telling why not to have one rather than what is available.

Here are a few I know of. Kedron is one of the best, their website has links to DVD showing you where you can take a caravan if you are determined enough, like Cape York and Fraser Island.

Bushtracker Caravans

Trakmaster Caravans

Kedron Caravans

There is another company in Perth, Elross caravans. All are custom made serious off roaders.

Good Luck
AnswerID: 283087

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:22

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:22
Here is another one:

Phoenix Caravans
FollowupID: 547673

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:27

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:27
If I had not found the Bushtracker second hand I was going to order a new Phoenix Phase 3 . Top stuff .
Willie .
FollowupID: 547675

Follow Up By: flappa - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 12:33

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 12:33
I think we may have had this discusion previously Willie.

What's the reports on the New Phoenix Vans ?

My parents own a Phoenix which was bought from the original owners.

Phoenix changed hands a few years back , and the product suffered quite badly.

I haven't heard from any recent owners about the product and whether the product has improved.
FollowupID: 547684

Follow Up By: RovingOz (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 14:07

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 14:07
Hi Flappa
We are very happy with the quality of our 1yr old Phoenix and the warranty (2yrs) is excellent and well supported. Product quality seems to be the same but a certain area with their customer service is a common complaint with the owners I have met. Every brand has their problem areas I suppose.

How did the product 'suffer quite badly'? Just interested in the history.

We bought a Phoenix because they started improving the interior fitout from the old grey look and all owners we met in our 2yrs leading up to the purchase had zero complaints about quality. Also the construction hasn't changed and quality is still good according to the old owner Barry who had our van recently for a service.

Phoenix owners are a pretty quiet bunch, never hear much, I believe that's because there is no forum setup or club established. There have been a few attempts to try and address this but the it requires co-operation from the business owners which is apparenty been the stumbling block in the past.

The marketing seems to have picked up pace in the last few years and with a new factory orders are now out to Sept '08. This should over time improve re-sale similar to what Bushtracker enjoy. In addition to that you would be hard pressed to walk out with a Phoenix van for under $100k now.

We looked at Kedron and Trakmaster but Phoenix had the edge - which yes you pay for. Bushtracker didn't seem to be as flexible with customising as Phoenix and I felt we were just another order to get on the production line. I certainly wasn't keen on having to deal with a particular person there down the track when it came to warranty or mods.

Anyway I might attempt to rasie the profile for Phoenix owners by starting a yahoo or ninemsn forum this year. The business owners would benefit and it can only improve their product with ideas and feedback.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 547705

Follow Up By: flappa - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 15:21

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 15:21
Hi John,

So the story goes , the original Phoenix owners had something like 12 to 15 staff. Just after they sold the business , through little work and various problems , the staff numbers had reduced to a hand full.

My parents had to have their Van reskinned due to hail damage , and they actually took it to the old owners who had a repair business not far from the Phoenix business. Again , as I'm told , most people took their vans to the old owners for work , rather then the new owners.

"apparently" the business was being run down so badly , the old owners were considering repurchasing the business.

Now , that was probably 5 years ago ??

I do NOT know what has happened since. It would appear from a few sources , Phoenix has once again picked up their game. The reason for my post was that some people know that Pheonix has been around for sometime , and rely on older reviews. The Older Vans and New Vans are somewhat different. Which is better . . . . not for me to say.

Just on the Bushtracker/Phoenix comparision.

When my parents were looking into buying their van , Bushtracker would not even given them a quote unless they put money down. Phoenix were very accommodating with their requirements , and thats the main reason they bought the Phoenix.
FollowupID: 547712

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 22:20

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 22:20
Flappa, We have friends who had a Phoenix made to meet their stringent requirements, after they found Bushtracker (their first choice) and Kedron not willing to consider their every need. They found the people at Phoenix extremely co-operative and are very happy with the result - and they have been on some out of the way tracks with it, and have been 'on the road' for a couple of years or so now.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 547819

Reply By: RovingOz (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 14:54

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 14:54
JD
Weight, height and width brings things to a sudden stop. Having said that we have friends with a 2.8t 16ft Phoenix towed by an 80 series. They travel full time and are always surprising me with the remoteness of their trips. They do have the original Phoenix shape and build which was designed with a smaller profile which got you further. Having come from a camper trailer it is a big compromise. We take the Troopy for side trips and sleep in it when it gets too dicey for the van.
The F250's etc give you a bit more reach with an offroad van but cladding and other damage is common. Heard the story of the F250/Bushtracker owner who ventured into the Mitchell Plateau with his and came off second best. Experience and whether you're prepared to suffer some damage seems to be the decider and re-sale is always a factor because of the higher initial outlay I suppose. We are always planning our next van. :-)
Cheers
John
AnswerID: 283129

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 17:00

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 17:00
John ,

What are your ideas for the next one ?

I would like a 15' dual axle in 7' width . Phoenix were willing to go to dual axle down to 15'6" for me , but that all fell in a hole when I found a cheaper second hand Bushtracker .

Phoenix Phase 3 would be my pick of new vans .

Willie .
FollowupID: 547970

Reply By: Member - LOS BUSH - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 19:22

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 19:22
G'day JD,no-one has answered your question. The CSR would not be the place to take an offroad van although you do see a few off road trailers still moving on the track and still some more on the side awaiting the insurance companies to collect the damaged remains.the CSR has too many sand hills, tight corners,rocky outcrops and not least of all you would cause damage to the track.
AnswerID: 283164

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 21:16

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 21:16
Hi All

We have a 20ft Procyon Lassiter Off Road Caravan. made by York
Caravans, they copied all of the above caravan features, took the best bits, and made a reasonable off roader. for the dollars we paid.
Owing to my business commitments, we havent been any where
as yet, re some of the tracks ect, but we often tow it up to
Teewah Beach which is fairly straight forward, we are mad beach fishing enthusiasts, and it keeps the cook happy re the ensuite in it.

Cheers
Daza
FollowupID: 547789

Sponsored Links